What would you do with this songs after the intro?

I have decided on the intro for this Christmas song (I’ll be home for Christmas) but have some options for the rest of the song. My first thought was to go with a funk version but after I recorded the intro I am not so sure. I’m thinking it may be better to an upbeat traditional version with a shuffle beat.

That is my 12-year-old daughter’s voice on the intro, not mine :p

The intro give ME goosebumps.

http://home.earthlink.net/~noharmdoneband/HomeForChristmasIntro.mp3

Let me know your thoughts on the arrangement? This can be the Forum version of the song :D

Keith

This has the potential to go many different directions. If you want to go funk or pop you’d pretty much have to cut it at 0:20 followed by a long pause and a steady build. Something haunting at first like the intro.

But you know what I think? I think if you slanted this towards the troops in Iraq, which ever direction you took it, you’d have a hit on your hands. Iraq is the social herpes right now. (Sorry, it’s first thing that popped into my head.) =) You’d have to use your imagination to tie it in … but I think you could do it!

How would you feel about letting me experiment with it? I’ve been itching to write somehting new for a while now.

-steale

OH YEAH!!! After your daughters part, during the rest of the intro, put an “Iraq news cast” in the background! Tinny, scratchy and muffled! Cutting in and out of the song in strategic places. Whew!!! Talk about impact!!

-steale

The intro at this point sets up a very wistful mood, which would fit the lyric of the song, or so it seems to me, so maybe upbeat isn’t the way to go??

However, if you’re going to change tempo and style, make it real dramatic. I’m kind of thinking of the beat to Club Nouveau’s version of Lean on Me. Do you remember that one?? I found a midi version of the song to give you an idea of how they did that (although the midi file doesn’t seem real accurate).

Lean on Me - midi link

Steale, we are thinking the same way. I thought about getting a helicopter sound to put in yesterday. A short newscast would work great.

I take your post as an offer to collaborate? See what you can do!

Keith

Obviously time is critical if we want to have something for this holiday season. My friend’s (the one who played guitar on this song) dad works at a radio station outside of St. Louis and want to play some of my songs this year. That would be a good opportunity to get this one out there. Who knows, it may develop a cult following like the Porky Pig version of Blue Christmas :laugh:

I have a friend at work who has an incredible radio voice. I can get him to do some voice over work for me. After the first time through the songs, I can include a light guitar solo which would be a good background for some newscast. I would also put some in the intro.

For the music, I think it can be rather basic with light piano, guitar and bass and some strings.

Maybe the most important part is the drum beat (I can’t believe I am saying this ???). A marching snare with drum rolls is one approach as long as it is not overdone but I don’t want the song to have a strong military presence. I think it should go more towards the human emotions side of the war in Iraq.

It should probably include a newcast statement about Afganastan also. All should include key moments in the war and some death and wounded numbers.

I am also toying with recognizing the women serving in Iraq also. Maybe that can be accomplished by adding a vocal chorus including women.

Just thinking outloud.

Keith

Quote (SaxAppeal @ Dec. 08 2004,09:15)
Steale, we are thinking the same way. I thought about getting a helicopter sound to put in yesterday. A short newscast would work great.

I take your post as an offer to collaborate? See what you can do!

Keith

No no no, that stuff has been done to death. Everyone puts that stuff in songs anymore starting with Floyd and The Wall (see Guns and Roses, Metallica, and most every rap and metal song from the past 15 years for 100 other examples). So we gotta think of something else. Though I would go hip hop in feel. Something grooving angry and dirty and then use the trumpet as a sort of loop focal point basing the hook of it. That's just me though. There are better ways to sum up the horror of war than news casts and helicopter/machine gun samples. Find something that will really mess with people. What is the worst thing you can imagine experiencing in that situation? Or maybe some vocal loop that is very harmonic minor/middle eastern sounding. That stuff can sound totally hopeless/helpless if done right. Find a sample of that. Helicopters and news casts aren't too scary to me, I see em everyday in my neighborhood.

OK. I hear ya, Bubbagump.

How about this? Instead of going for the throat with an antiwar protest, how about making the message subtle focusing on the possible tragedy of war at the family level.

Basically Leave the Intro as is except I may add some wind sounds underneath.

Verse one in traditional style with vocals.

Start Verse two substituting guitar for melody. Music fades to low level and two males are talking. The conversation is very neutral not bias the ending.

Male 1 in L channel: "We should be there in about 10 minutes"
Male 2 in R channel: "Do they know we’re coming?"
Male 1 in L channel: "I’m not sure if anyone called."

Verse 2 fades back in and finishes with vocals.

After verse 3, music fades to low level. Male 1 says “We’re here”. Car engine stops, foosteps to the door, the the door bell rings. The song ends.

If people believe this song as about Iraq, the optimist will believe that a soldier was driven home by a friend or other military person and is finally home. Others may believe that military personnel are going to the home to let the family know the soldier is dead.

If people don’t pickup on a military theme, it could just be someone coming home for some generic reason, such as work out of the country, in prison, etc.

How does this work?

Keith

how about making the message subtle focusing on the possible tragedy of war at the family level.

Exactly what I was thinking.

-s