whats a good keyboard

MrToad, could I trouble you to answer my question also.

If I record through my PSR keyboard, and I hit a note harder or hold it down longer will nTrack MIDI automatically know about that ? Last time I tried MIDI, 2 years ago, however long I held the note down it only recorded a short note in the MIDI file.

Tony

Hmmm . . . If n-Track is getting midi data at all from your keyboard it should be getting “note”, “start time” and “end time” at a bare minimum. It would also get “velocity” from a touch-sensitive device.

I’ve never tried a Yamaha POS (sorry, PSR :D ). How are you connecting it to your PC? Do you have a dedicated MIDI interface or are you using one of those game port connectors?

Keep in mind that I’m really a guitar player and I’ve only just learned this stuff in the past year or two! Maybe someone else could help if I’m out of my depth (wading pool at best).

hth,
mrtoad

I’ll have to give it another try. I really did not know what I was doing before and haven’t tried for a long time.

I’ll try it out and report back.

Tony

Yup, Mr Toad is right. n-Track should record all the midi info which will include note on, note off, velocity etc. I used to use a Yammy PSR keyboard many years ago with a hardware midi recorder and it worked fine. I have no idea why you saw only short note events, unless there was something filtering the midi data. Try it with n-T, I hope it will work…

Cheers
T.

you all have been a big help. i will try your suggestions mr.t and when i get this working (which i WILL) i will be sure to be right back here letting you know. thanx

:cool:

A couple of points.

1. I simply can’t figure out nTrack and MIDI, I’ve been using a cheap version of Cubase that’s all fine. I can add a track in nTrack but can’t figure out how to record to it

2. I think my note on/off problem is related to the sounds on the keyboard. When I play the keyboard live I play a certain style to maximize it, this includes reverb etc. The MIDI recording lacks a sense of gradual movement, and by default lacks reverb so it doesn’t sound quite the same. I think I will need to get used to the different style.

Tony

alllllriiiighty then… i finally recorded a MIDI track and assigned “choir aahs” to the sound and it turned out great. of course to use it in the mix it has to be .wav format. i managed to convert it to wav… BUT, when i played back that wav file it was “grand piano” again and i can’t seem to be able to change it back to the “choir aahs” because it is not a MIDI and those sounds are not available for a wav.
so i am still in the pondering mode and have put my MIDI experimenting on the back burner…so i can jam a little while, if you know what i mean.

Check the event list for the MIDI track and be sure there are no rogue patch change events.

does anyone know how to use “Steinberg Cubase VSTi Roland Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas VSC-MP1 1.0 2001”? what all is needed?

do i need a seperate MIDI track for each instrument or just set them all up on the synth effects ? I.e. ch 1 brass, ch2 violin, ch3 piano, etc. on the one synth fader …

Only one channel per MIDI track, so yes, a separate tracks per instrument is requred… They are all saved to one MIDI file when the MIDI file is exported though.