Where's the Chorus?

Is it just me? Am I getting confused in my old age?

I’ve been listening to some of my favourite Beatles songs and can’t seem to distinguish where the chorus is. Some of them just seem to be verse/verse/bridge/verse/verse/bridge etc…and these are MAJOR tunes…

Please educate me!

“Michelle”…“Nowhere Man”…“Hard Days Night”…“All I’ve Got To Do” (stunning)…“I Call Your Name”…the list goes on.

…or am I just drunk? :whistle:

One man’s bridge is another man’s chorus I reckon.

Yeah I wondered that Poppa, but in that case the verses (to me) seem stronger than the chorus…

I mean…"Nowher man, please listen, you don’t know what you’re missin’ " doesn’t come close to the verse “He’s a real nowhere man sitting in his nowhere land”…

Unless it’s Chorus/chorus/bridge…

I’m giving up booze…

It’s not where or when they used a chorus, it’s the flange that gets me.

Oh… we ain’t talking stomp boxes are we.

Nevermind. :laugh:

…and there I was…geared up for serious songwriting debate… :laugh:

Man I love this place… :laugh:

:agree:

But you’ve been drinking, how can we debate? :laugh:
I’m drinking coffee, stone cold sober here. Just a little bit off in the head is natural fer me! :agree:

What is a chorus, I mean really?

Helloooooooooooooooooo

Where’d ya go?

I always thought the chorus was where everyone joined, in chorus, to sing along. Which with the popularity of Beatles tunes would technically make them all choruses.

Very true Poppa!

But their early stuff was geared towards a chorus, but I think as they progressed as song writers they didn’t feel the need for formats in their writing.

I don’t think I’ve ever written with a chorus in my tunes?

I’m still here!..

Even their later stuff had a chorus…Sgt. Pepper, Here comes the sun etc. (not Hey Jude tho) but I just got to thinking…Lennon and McCartney are recognised as being amongst the best songwriters ever…yet a whole lot of their songs didn’t follow the standard verse/prehook/chorus format that’s preached so mush about.

They always said they had a formula for writing…so it sure wasn’t that!

My idea of a chorus is the part of the song that’s remembered first.

Hmmm, so where’s the chorus for “I Want You/She’s So Heavy” ?

She’s So Heavy then, cause that part of the song sticks in your mind, you can’t help it with the hypnotic chord progression.

Btw, their formula for writing was drugs, right? :laugh: I shouldn’t have said that.

Here is an link I found that says it explains the Beatles writing secrets.
http://books.google.com/books?i…PR22,M1
Even has a Beatles modulation Map.
An example of some of it is:
"the form of many of the Beatles finest hits fails to follow ABAB for the simple, yet often overlooked reason, that they lack a chorus."

Lots of interesting stuff in the book.

Good question, maybe it’s that their verses and bridges were so melodic, like a hook, and the lyrics so fitting that what they thought was a chorus sounds to us like a verse… or vice verse-a. (HA! :laugh: )

Or maybe so much time has gone by, so much other music has colored our ideas and we think of things )hear things) a little differently?

I’ll think about this, after a few drinks and another listen to my B albums.

Phase One in which Doris gets her oats
is my fav Beatle chorus leechmen :p

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Apr. 28 2009, 6:37 PM)

Lennon and McCartney are recognised as being amongst the best songwriters ever...yet a whole lot of their songs didn't follow the standard verse/prehook/chorus format that's preached so mush about.

Maybe that's why they're recognised as great songwriters.

I would hate to have to sit down to write thinking "Now where do I put the verse/bridge/chorus etc?..

Thanks for the link there Pingcat.

heheheh “Lennon said writing about music is like talking about f#@king, who wants to talk about it!” :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pingcat what a great link!!! :agree:

A bridge would be a section of a song that connects verses and is often unique on it’s own. (could have voices) and that’s where the confusion comes in. So I guess a true bridge wouldn’t necessarily have vocals. A choris would be a section of the song that contains multiple human voices or in our case choris like effects.
So if it connects verses and has harmonies and vocals call it a choris.
If no voices call it a bridge. :laugh: But never call it finished :laugh:

Quote: (pingcat @ Apr. 28 2009, 7:31 PM)

Even has a Beatles modulation Map.
An example of some of it is:
"the form of many of the Beatles finest hits fails to follow ABAB for the simple, yet often overlooked reason, that they lack a chorus."

The whole chorus/bridge/verse deal is really a new concept from the past 50 years of pop music. Most traditional tunes looking back are simple AABB sort of constructs. The Beatles were just writing based on this sort of concept. There are tons of old pop songs like this... nearly every jazz standard is like this too. Plus, all a chorus really is is a lazy way to write a B section... AA is your verse, BB is you chorus assuming the same lyrics are always used. This is greatly over simplified, but you see where I am going.