Where's the Chorus?

Eyup!

Don’t forget that, although all the credits were Lennon/McCartney, they very rarely wrote anything together.
The songs were either Lennon OR McCartney, not both.

If you can get a copy of “Alternate Revolver” (bootleg) there is a wonderful series of versions of Lennon’s song “She Said” going from the first rough bedroom recording through to the final version.

Who needs a chorus when you’ve got talent :)

Steve

Quote: (Beefy Steve @ Apr. 29 2009, 1:57 PM)

Who needs a chorus when you've got talent
:)

Those who like them, never born of necessity. :whistle:

spreadercraig,

I confess that I have only read a little of the link I posted, but what I read was interesting. If you see anything of noteworthy there post it back. Not that I think one can gain that talent from reading a book, but I can’t help but be curious about Beatle writing (and recording) techniques. My appretiation for their songs has increased over the years since I picked up a copy of “The Beatles - Complete Scores” and just sat alone with an acoustic guitar and explored each song.

I certainly will…I’m tempted by the book…

The Beatles turned me on to music when I was 6 and it was a deeply personal thing. I didn’t know they were famous back then…I didn’t even know the tape I had was by a band called the Beatles… but my young mind was altered forever.

Do people think that this is how modern songwriting has evolved? Are there any examples of this verse/bridge structure in modern music?
Or are we now at the stage of verse = lesser ‘catchiness’ building the story…bridge or prehook = leading us to the chorus in an interesting manner…chorus = the catchy bit or hook with an added mid 8 section perhaps along with an instrumental?

That’s all I seem to hear in (for example) modern pop.

I must admit I was obsessed with the Beatles growing up-I think I was in my 20’s before I could even listen to other bands! Must have been that '62-'66 cassette that got me hooked way back when. Those early year vocal harmonies in the choruses really knocked me out.

As I recall, George Martin had a substantial influence on their arrangements as it relates to overall song structure and chorus placement (not to mention key, tempo etc…), even in the early days. I’m essentially a Lennon/McCartney fan but Martin’s impact can’t be overstated.

One of the techniques The Beatles often employed that always stood out in my mind was placing the chorus at the beginning of the song, such as in “Help”, as well as others. I love how it just reaches out and grabs the listener- it’s almost cheating…

Lately, in my own songs, I pretty much avoid having any semblance of conventional song structure. I’m a selfish songwriter, though; if I were writing more for others I’d probably care more!

Btw, Craig, your chorus vocal harmonies always impress me; my only consolation is that others are equally envious.

Quote:

One of the techniques The Beatles often employed that always stood out in my mind was placing the chorus at the beginning of the song, such as in "Help", as well as others. I love how it just reaches out and grabs the listener- it's almost cheating...

While I can't say I am a huge Beatles fan, the above technique is great for certain tunes. Where you want to urgently get the "hook" into the listener right out of the gate. Other songs may be better served by teasing the listener with the whole verse/pre-chorus/chorus x2 bridge to instrumental solo back to chorus formula. It depends on the SONG and what you want it to do.

That's the neat thing about this IMO. The rules are made to be broken at will.

D
Quote: (spreadercraig @ Apr. 29 2009, 5:58 PM)

Do people think that this is how modern songwriting has evolved? Are there any examples of this verse/bridge structure in modern music?

:laugh:
Spreader, are you fixin to lay a new tune on us or what?
:agree:

Don't go back as far as prewar delta blues, some of those cats would play an Emaj and nothing else other than a few catchy melody lines, for 7 mins
and call it a song.

I wouldn't think about it to hard.
Make up your own formula.
And then about now Spreader
comes out with a complaint about how he's sucking and lost it and then bam out of the blue, a new, Cool, tune. *chuckles* "maybe it is the booze"
Your a true work of art Mr Spreader!
:D
:laugh: I blame it ALL on the booze Levi....ALL..... :laugh:

I read part way down Pingcat...it loses you sometimes, but to me it looks like the writer there has wwaaayy overcomplicated something that should come naturally.
I'll read the rest though, like yourself out of curiosity.

Geoff I was like that......just couldn't listen to anything else for quite a while. The chorus vocal harmonies I use...I often think I put them there because they may cover up a weak line :laugh: