Where's the Midi track?

Can’t findit in directory

The sng file shows the midi track and it plays. the accompning wav files are there also and are listed in the directory, but I can find no track file in the directory that represents the midi information. In Ntrack when I right click for properties I get all kinds of information, but not a name or location for the midi file. What’s going on? Where is it?
Thanks,
Bax

It’s part of the .sng file itself. You won’t get a true MIDI file out of n-Track unless you export it. File > Export MIDI File… give it a name and location.

D

Thanks.
Well, that showed me the file and I use File > Export Midi to make a file I could see. Then I moved it to a different directory to use it in another cut of the same some. When I tried to file >Import Midi I got an eoor message. Does this mean that Ntrack only creates midi files that cannot be used elsewhere? Is this also to be expected?

Dunno Bax… I just did a quick test and it worked fine… ???

D

Quote: (bax3 @ Jan. 19 2008, 12:18 AM)

Thanks.
Well, that showed me the file and I use File > Export Midi to make a file I could see. Then I moved it to a different directory to use it in another cut of the same some. When I tried to file >Import Midi I got an eoor message. Does this mean that Ntrack only creates midi files that cannot be used elsewhere? Is this also to be expected?

What was the error message?

I'm pretty sure I've imported n-track midi files into other applications. Why have an export facility if you can't do anything with the exported files?

What application are you trying to import into? Perhaps it's a problem with that application? Also, there are two types of midi file, perhaps that's the issue.

Did you just try the one test? Suggest you do some more testing as it may have been a one-off, or maybe you've discovered a bug (in n-track or your other application).

There are two types (Type 0 and Type 1 … more actually, but that’s the main differences) of MIDI files. n-Tracks would export and import only one of those types unless the newer versions have been updated to handle both.

If an exported file is edited and saved from another editor then it may be saved in the “other” format if the editor doesn’t automatically save in the format the original file was (most don’t and most default to one or the other format). I’m not suggesting that’s what happened here, but that this is one way and exported file may not import later.

I suspect the exported file is slightly corrupted. Try exporting it again and seeing if it will import into a new clean song.

I think the file is somehow currupt although I can’t figue out why or how. It runs fine in the orgional recording. When It exprots it asks if I want to keep the midi clock. I’ve said yes and no with the same end result. There is no error noted as it is exported but after the file has been exported I cannot open it in any program including import into Ntrack. The opening program says the file is currupt. So hopefully it’s just this file - but strange that it plays fin in the origional sng file.

Could easily be a bug. You should report it to Flavio – send him the .sng file.