Where were you and what were you doing...

eight years ago today?

I was in my office preparing for a trip to Germany to discuss an expansion project at our plant. The location I had back then allowed a little radio reception so I had the radio on. They started breaking in with the news from New York. I sat there stunned for quite a while. I then spent the rest of the day listening to NPR.

What a terrible day…

Needless to say, my trip was put off for a few weeks. When it did take place, the airport security was unreal. Soldiers toting MP5’s and M16’s all over the place… here and in Germany… The screening process was very, very thorough with many morons pissing and moaning the whole time. Myself? I was thankful that they were doing what they should have been doing BEFORE this happened. Oh well…

God bless those families in mourning today for lost loved ones as a result of this attack.

D

I was sat here at my desk, and a colleague came back from lunch and said “someone’s flown a plane into the World Trade Centre.” I also remember trying to find out more on it through the internet, but MAN, the web was slow that day. Horrible. Truly horrible. I get what you mean about people moaning about the tightened security on planes too. Pisses me right off when I hear people moaning about time taken for security. Total inability to see the big picture.

Even though I’m a Brit, NYC holds a special place in my heart. Visited there a few years back, and saw the WTC site. Even then, 5 or 6 years afterwards, people were still standing there in tribute. Some silent, some crying. One of those life-changing moments for me.

Never forget.

Teaching, ethics class, got a call at the end of class around 10:30 and went home and sat and watched the rest of the day. Emailed all my friends in NY, one sent a picture via email out his apt. window, all this smoke…

my first full week of teaching elementary school. i would come in at 6:30 to start preparing, and that’s right about when the first plane hit (pacific time). the only other person in the building that early was the secretary, who had heard something on the radio. so i rigged up a tv, got out a notepad, and started calling everyone i knew. so i was watching tv by the time the 2nd hit. it’s hard to take notes when that kind of over-shocked numbness takes over. i’ll never forget that feeling. that was a pretty rough day at school for everyone.

I was up a scaffold rendering. One of those moments you never forget.

God bless all those poor poor families affected as well as the victims.

I had been in the British Embassy in Dubai renewing my passport which is dated Sept 11th 2001. I got a msg on my mobile that said major incident in New York. I went home and watched the second plane hit. I’ll never forget that day.

I had just gotten up and was watching the Today show and wondering what the heck was going on. A friend called to tell us to turn on the TV. I vividly remember getting dressed for work while watching the 1st trade tower crumble. It was unbelievable! And seeing that 2nd plane come in was equally unbelievable!

I was teaching school and one of the assistants came to the room saying that they were going to have an early dismissal, when I asked why he told me what was happening and I didn’t believe him at the time. When I got back home I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

The strangest account I ever heard was a guy who worked in one of the towers, he said he stayed up late watching Monday Night Football and slept too late that morning. He was coming across on the ferry and they were turned back by the river Authority, MNF saved his life…

Turned on the TV about 2 minutes before the first tower collapsed. Wasn’t even dressed for work yet. I never made it to work. I was getting ready to go when we got an email that said to stay home to comfort our families.

It was so quiet outside it was freaky. No cars or trucks. No airplanes. Nothing. It was quiet as a heavy snow day except it didn’t feel fun. It was pretty unsettling.

Then there was the occasional sound of a fighter jet streaking overhead, then dead silence again.

That was even more unsettling. I was afraid to do anything except watch the continuing coverage on TV.

I hadn’t had those kinds of feelings since the early 60’s.

I had returned home from the morning run…
I checked my mail in-box and replied to some msn messenger postes…

when, I saw the TV broadcast break…
NBC was on…
it was about (if I remember corresty)
our time
9:12—9:15 am… AST…
The same time zone in Sao Paulo, Brazil…
I was talking to friends down there… on the msn messenger…

They couldn’t believe what they were seeing…
Same here…

I left the conversation with them after saying…

I don’t think those buildings are going to survive this…

What a Shame…
gents…

Bill…

I was at home and happen to turn on the TV. Then I heard that another plane hit the Pentagon. Which is the area my sister lived in at the time. The cell phone lines were clogged up so we didn’t get to hear from her till later that afternoon. to make matters worse relatives who lived in the area were hearing rumors of bombs going off all over DC.

My sister worked in Georgetown which is across the bridge from the Pentagon. she walked across bridge with ton people(as all the businesses closed down) and they could see the smoke coming from the building. Then a month later the DC Sniper struck another horror too close to home, but that is another story.