Which 150 programs?

Is Bush going to cut

My budget substantially reduces or eliminates more than 150 government programs that are not getting results, or duplicate current efforts, or do not fulfill essential priorities. The principle here is clear: a taxpayer dollar must be spent wisely, or not at all," Bush said.
The thing I found funny about this is that Bush & the Republicans have been in charge for +4 years, so whose programs are these that don't work? If they were the Democrat's, then why weren't they cut years ago?

Mr Soul

educational grants to study tree toads, I hope…

I figure they been kinda busy the last few years. One thing I had hoped for was IF Dubya got re-elected was that he would concentrate more on the home front.

I think the tree toad study should go right after ALL the liberal arts grants. Ducks and runs…

TG

Hey Clark - I think we should protect & study those tree toads!!!

BTW - what happened to the Mars thing that Bush talked about last year???

Quote (Mr Soul @ Feb. 03 2005,18:07)
BTW - what happened to the Mars thing that Bush talked about last year???

I hope it's still on. NASA brings a ton a cash into the area I live in. We'll have to see what shakes out of the latest restructuring and what the new NASA boss sez........

TG

PS Nuke the tree toads! :p :p

Winners and losers in Bush’s plan:

Here:
http://www.boston.com/news…_losers

Yeah this is why I’m a Democrat! Bush is going to give +450 billion to the Pentagon (not including Iraq) and is going to cut 20 billion for programs that actually help some people. I think it may backfire.

Mr Soul

For example, Bush wants to drastically reduce farm subsidies, which have many supporters in Congress, including would-be presidential contenders who will trek to farm-state Iowa early in their 2008 campaigns and want to avoid alienating this farm-state that is so critical in the nominating process.

''No senator who ever wants to become president will come 100 feet near that proposal," said Keith Ashdown, vice president of policy for Taxpayers for Common Sense, a group that advocates spending restraints.

From the article Tom linked.

See where their priorties are? Election or Re-election FIRST! Whether the proposal makes fiscal sense for the country or not.

TG

The thing is, concerning agriculture, the subsidies make sense. That sector is one of the most volitile there is, and wihtout gov’t intervention it would be a mess - not good for farmers or consumers. Subsidies stabilize things in this case. Why bush wants to cut those is beyond me - it is a stupid idea politically, as well as economically. Perhaps its just proposed b/c he knows it will go nowhere at all. So he can be virtuous at no expense?

Yeah could be. Agriculture is a real bear to manage I would imagine. Too many unknowns to try and deal with. What I never understood was the “We’ll pay you XXX dollars to NOT grow anything.” Could we not have some system in place to sell or GIVE our surplus to impoverished peoples while giving the farmers some decent price to grow the crop?

I dunno…

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Feb. 08 2005,15:13)
Yeah could be. Agriculture is a real bear to manage I would imagine. Too many unknowns to try and deal with. What I never understood was the "We'll pay you XXX dollars to NOT grow anything." Could we not have some system in place to sell or GIVE our surplus to impoverished peoples while giving the farmers some decent price to grow the crop?

I dunno.....

TG

Sure, that'd work. The problem is that the agri market is a very volitile economic sector and needs stabilization, and that's what the subsidies do. It is one of those cases where people look at it as say "wow, they're getting free money from my taxes" when the economic benefit of reasonably stable bread and milk prices is something they either don't think about or understand. I have argued for basic macro and micro economics as a required part of secondary education for years...even if it means replacing dumbed down "civics" and "government" classes which are nearly totally useless as taught often enough.

Very simple economics in agriculture, supply and demand. Corn farmers not making money, but say green beans paying big bucks, they all changes crops, floods market, price bottoms, corn prices skyrocket from shortage. Economic disaster. Already seeing this happen with the dairy farmers switching to cattle farming and selling beef. Because they say the Atkins low carb craze sent beef prices thru the roof. I ran a meat dept. for 8 yrs (Winn Dixie). I learned to cut meat at the tender age of 16. Have seen alot of crazes and shortages (supposedly) send beef and pork prices soaring. But have never seen prices soar like they did this last time, wife n I are thinking bout going vege. But the spinach sure don’t taste like the porterhouse cut 1 1/2" thick. And besides, it falls thru the grill when I try to turn it.

Bush cutting these subsidies will have super repercussions for all at the local markets in the next few monthes. :(

My father was a tobacco farmer. He made all his money on that and lost or nearly broke even on the rest. If there were no regulations all the farmers in the area would plant tobacco. The profit margin was huge compared to any other crop.

Because of subsidies of the other crops and regulations restricting tobacco acreage the farmers were forced into doing what should need no forcing. In an ideal world farmers would make enough money growing food that they wouldn’t have to rely on a crop that we don’t NEED to live. Get rid of the subsidies and the farmers will not be able to afford to grow the crops, or they will grow nothing but the highest priced stuff creating a glut and prices drop (as was mentioned).

It takes a lot of shortsightedness or ignorance to feel like these subsidies are not a necessity. It’s the job of our government to stabilize the nation. Throwing the food chain into a economic roller coaster is not the way to do it.

I’m not suggesting the subsidy program doesn’t need work, but blindly dropping much of it will be disastrous. I don’t know what’s being proposed, but I hope it’s not that.

As an interesting side note, my fathers church had a no tobacco clause in the church covenant. To join the church you had to take an oath that said you would not partake in tobacco products, yet this church was full of tobacco farmers, most of which did not smoke. My father never smoked.

I can certainly agree with all the above points about subsidies and stabilization being needed. I just wish the USA could figure out a way to feed needy people instead of letting land sit idle. Yes, I do understand the need for crop rotation and soil preservation and all that… It’s just the fact that I drive by hundreds of acres all the time that sit and go to weed because the Feds pay this guy to let it sit. Seems an awful waste to me.

TG

The US government has always subsidized industries, etc., in this country, from farmers to car manufacturers. There’s nothing wrong with it, i.e., in many cases it’s good for the economy, and many other industrial countries do the same.

What’s being proposed is cutting back on farm subsidies, while giving the Pentagon a 5% increase (>$450 billion).

CA stands to be hurt alot under Bush’s budget.

Read this article also -

Blueprint Calls for Bigger, More Powerful Government.

Mr Soul

Ever do any priming phoo?

Yep. Lots of times. I was too small to last most days though (back in the early to middle 60’s - pre-teen ot early-teen). I’m a whimp out in the fields. I’d just help out on days they needed help and do whatever I could, which wasn’t much. I usually ended up handing to the folks tieing it to the sticks.

My father was paying them $10 a day to prime and $5 to hand and tie, and I got nothing of course becauase I was family.

Hmm, sounds like my grandpa and dad, free child slave labor!:D

Exactly, and nearabout slave slave labor for the rest. Anyone want to work 6 days a week for $5 to $10 a day? That was actually legal back then.