Which LDC Mic (Out of Two)

Microphones, Recording

They are the ADK A-51 Type V and the At-4033a.

It’ll be for all-around use, including for miking drums, etc. in an M/S configuration. Vox, acoustic instruments, etc.

There can only be one. So which one will give me the crappiest sound for my song entry in the contest? :D

Heh. Thanks…

The AT.

But…you sure you are limited to those 2?

How you gonna do M/S when neither of those have a figure of 8 pattern?

D

Fig-8 is not necessary for mid-side. It’s only necessary when you want to faithfully recreate a soundstage. If you’re just using it to get a nice stereo ambience, cardiod is not only very good, it can be better than fig-8. For example, when recording acoustic guitar at one end of a nice room, point the side mike toward the rest of the room, avoiding the harsh bounce off the nearer wall.

In addition, while a cardioid is often used for the M mic, an omni also serves quite well.

Hi Sloom and Guys:

If you only have the resources for one of those mics, it may be best not to invest the money till you can convince the dealer to let you take the two mics home and put them through the “MILL” So-to-Speak…
When I was tracking I’d sure like to have that AT mic…
I have the ADK Millennium Tube MIC…
It is a Dual Diaphragm with a 9-position Switchable Patterns to use…
BUT…
I looked at a pair of those A-51’s…
BIG-TIME…

Sloom…
There’ll never be a time when you’ll have too many mics in your locker…

I’d love to have an E/V RE-20 mic… Maybe, Two…

Bill…

Alright, a nice array of replies here. I have the AT 4033a from a trade I did a couple years ago- for a TEAC 3340s r2r machine! I didn’t want to do the maintenance for something I didn’t use enough though, so I traded with a kid in Texas who wanted it.

I later used the AT to do a couple recordings, and for vocals and acoustic guitar it was very warm, very smooth I though.

The ADK I bought via recommendation (new from ebay). It sounds nice enough, but I don’t have enough mic experience to know about a lot of LDCs. I was using it to record for an internet radio show I was doing for a few weeks (I quit because an hour show took a lot of work, and it was for no pay)… anyway I’m getting rid of a lot of stuff. As far as I’m concerned the AT has earned a spot with me, but I wanted to just troll for opinions from people who have more experience than I do.

I’m getting into a recording project, but I need bass gear- and to pay for a pedal mod I had done- I sent a Big Muff pedal out to have it repaired and optimized for bass guitar. When it comes to gear, etc., paychecks are out of the running! I have to fund music with music, either through gigging or selling off what I don’t use- so I’m liquidating some stuff. If I were entertaining aspirations of being an engineer I’d just sit tight and keep 'em all!

By the way, I also have a Studio Projects B3 that has a figure-8 pattern for M/S, so there’s the Side mic. But Jeff’s idea is interesting…

Quote:

Studio Projects B3 that has a figure-8 pattern for M/S, so there's the Side mic. But Jeff's idea is interesting...

Sweet. Then you're all set for true M/S-ing around! (narf narf narf...)

D
Quote: (Diogenes @ May 19 2008, 8:38 PM)

Quote:

Studio Projects B3 that has a figure-8 pattern for M/S, so there's the Side mic. But Jeff's idea is interesting...

Sweet. Then you're all set for true M/S-ing around! (narf narf narf...)

D

Ooooohhhhhh... (audience makes a disappointed sound)!