Which Version of N-Track is the best?

I would like to continue this discussion if anyone is game.

I recently installed an M-audio Audiophile firewire interface which plays back in 24bit.
Unfortunately for me the version I had used for years only supported 16bit playback…
I upgraded (finally) then did a search to find the most stable build and this thread came up…

So if anyone has a suggestion before I download the “latest” I am all ears…
So far 8th note seems to suggest V5 build 2309, anyone care to second that?
OR suggest the last build they thought was stable?

I am on an Asus P4GV-LA Motherboard with Intel Celeron 2.20 GHz and Windows XP.

Everything seems to run great in 2.3! accept the playback in 24bit which is not supported in V2.3 because I’m using the interface as a sound card instead of the on board Realtek AC'97… :disagree:

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Hi jeremysdemo:

I used to hesitate at downloading and installing the latest build.
This was way back in v2-and-v3 Days…
However, I now install the latest builds as Flavio posts them.
I know he has to be working on V6 and BUILDS and he may not reply to support for the latest builds anymore… BUT…
If I were you I’d get busy and download the latest build…
I think it’s 2313…
Or at least that’s the build I have on this P-4 Studio machine.

Here’s something to consider…
You have the install “EXE” for the build you are running now… Having said that…
You download-and-install the latest posted build…
Get it up-and-running…
If you find you are unable to process any of your old files and just have an issue you are unable to overcome and work with…
Then you can go back to…
and install the build you have now by just opening and launching the "EXE for the build and n-Track will un-install the latest build and re-install the build you choose to go back to…
I believe that is the capability that Flavio has coded into v5.xx.xx installers…
At least I’ve done that on different occasions…
and it’s worked perfectlly…
Maybe, one of the n-Track gurroes can confirm that step… to make sure you don’t get caught out…
or something…
And if you are using XP as your operating system you can do a system restore…
and get you back to the build you last worked with…

Just something to consider…

Bill…

Yeah I was wondering about that.

I am on XP and I noticed it says I can install .NET framework or something if I want to? Not sure I do…if have heard tragic tales (mostly from here)

Anywho I am not so sure it will be that problematic for me to open old files since I render each instrument to it’s own track, (stored onto an external drive) everything is synced to a click track and I can rebuild any song file from the whole instruments by bringing them in individually.
I can see it would be a problem if I was relying on the New PC and XP, and the upgraded Ntrack to mixdown or play with the old sng. files and try new mixes of them…
But if I ever need to I can go back to the old puter and work with the older files…
Anyhow most if not ALL of anything older is being replaced by 96k tracks since that is what the new Firewire Interface is capable of and all the old files were recorded by a soundblaster card at 48000 with much line interference and hum/hiss. Also I am using an amp sim (J-station) instead of miking a head and real amp which will further reduce the amount of hum hiss and general noise in the older tracks.
If Mark reads this, I’d appreciate if you can share any good midi settings he knows of for the J.
I’m glad you pointed it out though and that you say you have found newer builds stable as well, that certainly takes some of the worry off :agree:

keep shinin’

jerm :cool: