Who owns who?

speaking of republicans

From Daily Kos:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 08:43:25 AM PDT
The Bush administration has granted access to our most important ports to the government of the United Arab Emirates:

-----------------------
The Bush administration dismissed the security concerns of local officials yesterday and restated its approval of a deal that will give a company based in Dubai a major role in operating ports in and around New York City.

Representatives of the White House and the Treasury Department said they had given their approval for Dubai Ports World to do business in the United States after a rigorous review. The decision, they said, was final.

Dubai Ports World is buying the British company that currently operates the cruise-ship terminal on the West Side of Manhattan, one of the biggest cargo terminals in New York Harbor, and terminals in Philadelphia, Baltimore and other big ports.
----------------

Dubai Ports World is controlled by the UAE royal family. The decision to grant the $6.8 billion sale to Dubai was made by the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States . Who sits on the committee? The Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, the Assistant to the President for Economic Policy, the Department of Homeland Security, the Secretaries of State, Defense, and Commerce, the Attorney General, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the U.S. Trade Representative, and the Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers. The Committee is chaired by the Secretary of the Treasury.

So Gonzales, Rice, Rumsfeld, Snow, and an other Bush administration officials conducted a security review and decided–unanimously–that the sale did not post a national security threat. How thorough was their investigation? They did not conduct background checks on senior managers of the company, nor did they ask how the company screens its own employees. You know, just in case a terrorist wants to infiltrate the company that now has unprecedented and unfettered access to our ports. More below…

Democrats plan bill to block Dubai port deal

I blame Germ. :p

Cheese… this one smells bad, even when compared to everything else the Bush-league administration has backed. And I thought big money could only buy senators and congressmen. :angry:

I guess US security even has a price…

I see the Clinton is one of the senators who is trying to block the bill. Good for her. Not exactly a “safe” pre-2008 move. :)

What in the world are they thinking anyway? Let’s just sell the pentagon while we are at it. :angry:

Maybe one day it’ll dawn on you guys that this has never been about terrorism, protecting America, values, abortion, gay rights etc. It’s about keeping you occupied while they rob you.

Prove me wrong! :p

FishKing

Quote (KingFish @ Feb. 17 2006,18:45)
Maybe one day it’ll dawn on you guys that this has never been about terrorism, protecting America, values, abortion, gay rights etc. It’s about keeping you occupied while they rob you.

FishKing

I think most thinking people will agree with you KF, but those darn Republican power brokers know how to keep their constituants busy with the misdirection. The problem is that this misdirection will completely undermine any possible national security. So even if it is being done to keep the american people off their toes so they can be robbed, this is just too low to be believed, even for the current administration.
:angry:
Quote (KingFish @ Feb. 17 2006,18:45)
Maybe one day it'll dawn on you guys that this has never been about terrorism, protecting America, values, abortion, gay rights etc. It's about keeping you occupied while they rob you.

FishKing

Um, no...really? Naw....really? :D

Just kidding, fish! Of course it is!

The higher the monkey goes up the tree, the more you can see his ass.

Yawn!!

So everyone from the Middle East has terrorist potential? God knows how a British guy like me has survived in the United Arab Emirates for the last 8 years!! :(
By the way half of the business partnerships in Dubai seemed to part owned by Americans.

Quote (Bruffie @ Feb. 20 2006,01:39)
Yawn!!

So everyone from the Middle East has terrorist potential? God knows how a British guy like me has survived in the United Arab Emirates for the last 8 years!! :(
By the way half of the business partnerships in Dubai seemed to part owned by Americans.

Well, as Kingfish said, this isn't about getting bad guys. I have a feeling that if we knew what it was about- what the government's interests really are- some of us would come down with some kind of clinical anxiety. Nothing is really very much as it seems- just look at how overtly ridiculous our government has become! Need I go into detail?

But the cartoon thing... well, after all the years America and Britain (and others) have squeezed that region like a bulb of garlic for our Oil Soup, it does stand to reason that something like a final insult would come along and break the Camel's Back. Yet, I can't help but to observe this policy in Arabia, Persia, etc. at a grass-roots level of calling on blood to answer for cultural and religious (i.e., cultural) infractions. This does appear, to us Americans, to be a people who live by the sword. (And does the 'pot call the kettle black'?!)

Two things come to mind though, to answer this:
1) We have the Bible-Belt for our "fundamentalist coalition". Those Hard-Righters are a bunch of messed up Nazi's, at worst. Not far removed from their Muslim counterparts... my opinion. Anyway, We have the crazies here too.
2) In America, we get 'News for Martha Stewart'. That's the demographic here that network news serves- so don't be surprised at the lack of content or actual journalism we get concerning the world stage! We don't really know what's going on over there at all, since network news is bought and paid for by the good folks who brought you the Iraq War ( and the Gulf War, and Viet-Nam, and WWII, and the A-Bomb, and the Robber-Baron Congress, and...)

I just wish some of these Muslims in positions of authority on a local level, here in our backyard, would stand up and speak for themselves. It might help with our getting a truer picture. But there is the fear of retribution, I suppose. I dunno.

Nice reply Sloom. I am in no way defending all Muslims, and you are right there are many fanatics in Islam who do indeed take the “Kill the infidel” approach to things.
I am merely a tad resentful that because Dubai is a Muslim country, the subject of terrorism has to come up. Dubai is not Saudi, Afghanistan, Iran or Iraq.
I live in a very modernised forward thinking country which is considerably safer than the US or UK, and where a lot of westerners are making a very nice living.
Anyway, I guess unless you have lived here it is impossible to change the prevailing opinion of Muslim countries. But then i think that Miami is a hotbed of crime where there is someone around every corner ready to jump on you :D

Bruffie, no such generalization was intended,nor is it warranted. But: the UAE had a role, financial and operational, in the 9/11 attacks, and in transferring nuclear tech to countries that proabably should not have it yet.

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 20 2006,06:56)
Bruffie, no such generalization was intended,nor is it warranted. But: the UAE had a role, financial and operational, in the 9/11 attacks, and in transferring nuclear tech to countries that proabably should not have it yet.

One has to acknowledge that all the guys who hijacked the planes that day had Arab names... I wonder if the same dudes who shake hands with American oil-businessmen (i.e., George H.W. Bush and co.) were "shaking hands" with the planners of 9/11. And I wonder, if so, who knew? We are rabble, speculating and postulating like armchair football coaches on Sunday afternoon.

So anyway, you know what we did about it? We went after the weakest guy at the table: Iraq. A secular country, small and isolated from their Muslim neighbors. They had their problems, yes, which we conveniently used to substantiate our boorish reach across the world table to put our claim on a new gas station.

There are those, and they're not Muslims, who believe that maybe- just maybe... we had it coming. As I said, America, and not alone, has made a career out of oppressing the middle-east. Nonetheless, I personally was amazed and RIPPED that a man would presume to take a plane full of people and fuel, use it as a missile to wipe out a skyscraper full of more people, and distribute hazardous building materials (asbestos, fiberglass, etc) into the air of a closely populated area.

Here's how I make my escape from the conversation: We live in *the world*, and there are no innocents. I mean, you do something nice for someone you know, and in the process you create a trail of 'dynamics', the ripples of which end up adversely affecting someone 25 miles away, three days later. It's just an imperfect world- but who can say anything against you if you're living according to your conscience, and doing the best you can? I'm going to say that has to be the end of it. So Bruffie's off the hot-seat (and no, Tom! You're not putting him in the hot seat! I'm just getting disoriented now :) ).

And yeah Bruffie, I lived in Miami for 20+ years, and you're right! It's no place to hang around when you don't know where you're standing.

Can’t put Bruffie in the hot seat, he is in a better position than me to judge.

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 21 2006,01:20)
Can't put Bruffie in the hot seat, he is in a better position than me to judge.

Hi Tom,

It's hard for me to make judgements. I've lived here for a long time and can only call it as I see it. I've seen the comments on the net about UAE funding 9/11 and I simply don't know if it's true. Then again both Bin-Laden and Saddam were originally funded and supported by the USA, who handed them the "guns" that are now facing back towards them. It's a dirty world out there!!
If the allegations are true about the UAE, then it's particularly cynical that the US Navy guys who are fighting in Iraq, come to dock in Dubai to refresh and take some time out.
Strange world my friend!!

Ian

Strange indeed!

Letter of Schumer et al to Snow on the issue:

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Dubai_Ports_letter.pdf

Key points:
– The UAE was one of three countries in the world to recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

– The UAE has been a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.

– According to the FBI, money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through the UAE banking system.

– After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was not cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin Laden’s bank accounts.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/02/17/ports-uae/

I’m confused…

Are we supposed to be promoting and embracing multiculturalism, or is it OK to be xenophobic and racist again?

I must’ve missed the newsletter.

/end troll

:p