Who would be interested?

I was thinking the other day how much of a time consuming chore it is to apply volume/aux evolutions to a selection of tracks one by one and thought that Flavio should make it possible to apply the node drawings to more than one track at a time WITHOUT applying them to ALL tracks.

Currently we can draw evolutions on one track, or by using the caps lock, all of them. It would be nice to have the ability to do it to say 5 of the 16 tracks or so for drums and different things.

Do you agree?

Absolutely!!!

Hm. I’ll have to vote both ways here:
It would make things (a little bit) easier AND you are lazy :)

To achieve what you want, send all tracks that you want the same envelope to apply to, to a group channel.
Next, draw the envelope for the group (you can select drawing of group channel envelopes from the drop-down list once you have created the group).

Hansje is right that if you’ll be doing this for a given set of tracks, groups is the best way to go. However, there are disadvantages to using groups: you can’t see the waveform while doing the edits (there isn’t one, really, unless you freeze it …).

Also, sometimes it would be nice to make volume automation changes on a few tracks that do NOT belong in the same group.

However, while it seems like a nice feature, it might be very difficult to do without making other things terribly confusing. In order to do this, it would need to be possible to select more than one TRACK at a time.

Currently, N keeps track of a number of different kinds of selections simultaneously:

- selected track
- selected time on the timeline (OR, selected time in a single track)
- selected wave part(s)

There may be more, and that’s without going into piano roll mode. In any case, it’s not simple! In order to do this suggestion, N would also need to handle selecting multiple tracks (but with one being “specially” selected, for operations that can’t be done on multiple tracks). I shudder to think of the bugs that would pop up in that case!

So, it’s a good idea, but don’t hold your breath. Then again, sometimes Flavio surprises me and pops out something I suspect would be a coding nightmare. But I seriously doubt that this would be a simple feature to implement, and I think that it would have unexpected repercussions – not just bugs, but affecting other interface issues regarding selection.

Even solving the multiple-track-selection issue, there’s the question of what it means to drag a node in one selected track when a corresponding node isn’t present in one of the other selected tracks.

Perhaps there’s another way to slice this one. How about the ability to cut-paste volume evolutions from one section to another? Using the grid, it would be easy to keep them lined up. That doesn’t involve radical GUI changes or difficult choices about what it means.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Perhaps there’s another way to slice this one. How about the ability to cut-paste volume evolutions from one section to another? Using the grid, it would be easy to keep them lined up. That doesn’t involve radical GUI changes or difficult choices about what it means.

THAT sounds even more useful… to me anyway.

D

YEAH !
Learjeff for president ! (again :) )

Nah. Learjeff is WAY too smart to be a politician. At least here in the USA… now if we could talk him into having a lobotomy… he might have a running chance! :p

D

I always go for the underdog. Admit it, you’d want it too :)

What, the lobotomy!? :p

Adobe Audition has a feature like Learjeff mentions as the alternate new feature. It’s called “Marquee”, I think, and allows you to Copy/Paste envelopes and other track settings to many tracks. It’s viewed as a ripping time-saver when you are editing multiple tracks, and right- when they’re not necessarily in the same Group. I’m all for it.

n can already apply volume evolutions to all tracks so the multiple ones isn’t a stretch. groups are fine but they get in the way of some of the other routing I do in the drums already. I really wish we could output to more than one output at a time. not using aux sends.

Sloom for Vice Pres. Post lobotomy, of course :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

It’s called “Marquee”, I think, and allows you to Copy/Paste envelopes and other track settings to many tracks. It’s viewed as a ripping time-saver when you are editing multiple tracks, and right- when they’re not necessarily in the same Group. I’m all for it.

It’s already there, and it’s called “Clone Track” - you select a track to clone, where to clone it to (new track or an existing one) and select if you want the wav file, aux and volume evolutions, effects and eq copied over.

that’s a good idea too, but I think it’d still be faster to choose say 5 tracks and draw the evolutions on one and have it apply to all 5.
take this for example. lets say I have 7 drum tracks. I have varying amounts of aux send #1 for a drum room reverb applied to each track. If I send them all to a group and mute the track, the aux sends can still be hear correct? (I’m not at my n-track computer to verify this, so correct me if I’m mistaken) Now, let’s assume I wish to send all the drum tracks to a lo-fi plugin on aux 2.

I can currently do this two ways:
1)send all drums to a group, draw an aux send 2 envelope that corresponds with my desired result, and then go back to each track and silence the aux 1 sends on the individual channels.

2)draw aux send 2 envelopes for all 7 tracks, and silence aux 1 sends for all 7 tracks for the particular section I wish.

So I have a minimum of 8 envelopes to draw. Easy if the evelope is simple, what if I wanted to make it complicated with a moving volume and panning scheme… gets a bit time consuming.

If I could select multiple tracks to effect with the envelopes like I’m requesting, I could simply:
select my desired tracks, draw an aux 2 send on one, and silence the aux send 1 and be done. Result? 1 minute worth of work versus 30 minutes.

Anyone who has recorded bands knows that you have to get your system as efficient as possible in order to make any money. This time saver could save me HOURS when mixing an album.

In addition, having the ability to output to more than one output at a time not using the aux sends would be a time saver too.

Let’s say I wish to send to outputs 1/2 and S/PDIF simultaneously, and I wish to have all the settings EXACTLY the same.

Currently I have to enable a 2nd output, and then adjust the corresponding auxillary sends for EVERY track to obtain the same mix for the 1st output. Now when there are already auxillary sends for effects, I ALSO have to adjust the auxillary returns to match.

If I could simply select multiple outputs as an option, either for each track, or say as a “duplicate output to…” option on the master channel, it’d save me tons of time. I’d still like the option to have multiple outputs on each track too though. It’d just save a bunch of time over setting up the auxillary sends.

It’s just like having busses on a mixer, wanna’ send it to the mains, bus 1 and bus 2 simultaneously, push 3 buttons… Wanna’ do it in N-track? Have fun.

Well guitar69, your wish is Flavio’s command… look at the latest build. Howzat for fast response???

That appears to do the trick. I hope no bugs are hiding…

TG

Now that’s what I LOVE about Flavio! :) you rock man. you’re my hero. I love you… ok, I’ve said to much.

HMMM, doesn’t seem to be working though… neither does the caps lock… any thoughts?

I can’t select more than one track at a time regardless of the ctrl, shift, or alt key.

g69-- Seems to work for me using the Ctrl key, as advertised:
<!–QuoteBegin>

Multiple tracks can be selected holding the Ctrl key and clicking on the track vertical name on the left edge of the track

I did notice that you can only multi-select tracks which have audio data in them, though. Empty audio tracks are ignored with this feature…

Oh well, FWIW (probably nada, or less)
Tony

g69, did you see this part…

<!–QuoteBegin>

n-Track Studio version 4.1.5 Beta Build 2006 Released - Saturday, December 10, 2005 3:03:00 PM EST, 3 days ago
Draw volume envelopes for multiple tracks. Multiple tracks can be selected holding the Ctrl key and clicking on the track vertical name on the left edge of the track
Faster update of mixer window when adding new tracks

It worked GREAT for me mixing a choir song last night. ???

TG