Why do vsts crash

The loud kaboom noise!

Can anyone share what reasons vsts crash,especially in single instance? There is a LOUD noise which is dangerous,even when cpu usage is very low.Any ideas appreciated.Thanks.

Any VSTs in particular? Some just don’t play nice in come hosts.

Rhino crashes and I get the noise burst. Alchemy player crashes with more than 1 instance of arp dimensions,but some arps dont crash! Usually I can have 5 instances of Alchemy.Firebird has crashed in the past.I tried re-installing the vsts and n-track.
Z3ta kept hanging and after removing it the timing of gladiator as a replacement was out.
I agree some are ill matched but the exact cause of the noise is the query.I’m using the latest n-track,win 7.

Weird. I bought Rhino when it came out, that was some time ago, and never had it crash, in any host (n-Track, Orion, and Reaper). The Big Tick developer writes good code.

I re-installed Rhino,chose a loop and then it crashed. Just shows how choosy vsts are.
Something has made the timing on track 3 corrupt while tracks 1 and 2 are ok.Ha!
Soon as I loaded Rhino it took n-track down.Got the creator trying it on N track for me.

Cheers.

Quote: (mylesma @ Jan. 23 2011, 11:31 PM)

I re-installed Rhino,chose a loop and then it crashed. Just shows how choosy vsts are.
Something has made the timing on track 3 corrupt while tracks 1 and 2 are ok.Ha!
Soon as I loaded Rhino it took n-track down.Got the creator trying it on N track for me.

Cheers.

What version of N-Track are you using? I know I've had some problems with vsti's using the newest version. Went back to the previous stable version and haven't had a crash, but I was using the DSK group of vsti's.

regrads,

Someone put in feature requests for the following;

1. Give the user the option of having the master output MUTE at whatever level the user specifies. Reaper does this and it will save your ears and/or speakers when a misbehaving VST or VSTi acts up. This is great for those “Geez… I didn’t KNOW that plugin sucked.” moments. If you KNOW a plugin is ‘suspect’ then number 2 below is awesome;

2. Give the user the option to run a plugin in a separate, protected process, “fire-walled” if you will… This way, a wonky plugin doesn’t bring down the entire program if the plugin crashes or misbehaves.

See Reaper for the RIGHT way to handle plugins. (IMO… along with a HUGE pile of other folks…)

UJ

Thanks very much for your interesting replies. Yes, I had the same problem when I used Alchemy on a beta N-track, went back to the previous stable and the problem no longer remained.I will try this.My build is 6.1.1 2985.Will let you know if this helps!

I like those features in reaper and will wait a short while to see if those anti hazard features show up in N-track.

No one should ever have to put up with their ears being bashed,it’s very stressful.
The fact is I have lost 2 songs now and I spent 6 hrs yesterday doing everything possible to eliminate the problem.

Cheers

Yeah… be patient. Ya’ never know what the next n build will bring.

UJ

Ok major news!!! I went back to build 2655 and ALL problems are gone. Nothing crashes and I can have multiple instances of Alchemy. I have had issues since the piano roll was changed with colors fading,changing and skins disappearing.Would need to hear if others have found their piano roll becoming skinless at times…and if certain runtime files are absolutely required here.

Cheers