Why is my wav file so big?

File too large, need to make it smaller

I got my first song all finished, very happy with the final product. Then I exported…40 megabites for a 3 minute song? hmmm, can’t put that on too many CDs.

Can I make this smaller? If not, how can I make it smaller if I re-record everything which I hope I can avoid.

You can do another mix to mp3.
go find ‘lame download’ on the net - unzip it and drag and drop lame.dll into your n-Track main folder.

Seems about right actually - about 10 MB per minute is pretty much standard for a 44,100 HZ 16 bit Stereo .wav file (the standard required for CD). A 700 MB CD holds just under 80 minutes of music.

EDIT - Make sure is is 44,100 HZ. You may have rendered to 48,000 HZ which would make the file a bit bigger. - EDIT

n-Track Lame instructions.

Your wav is normal size - click above for mp3 mixdown info.

Huh? You can fit 800MB on a CD… that would be 20 songs at 40MB each roughly. Are you sure you didn’t carry the one too many times?

What’s the record for shortest song?
They used to have some pretty short songs back
in the olden days. – Thank god

Quote:

Huh? You can fit 800MB on a CD...

The CDR I have here on my desk say 700MB or 80 minutes of audio.

Of course if you burn the wavs to CD it will not take that much space - burning a data disk though 800 megs will not fit. Everyone knows that though - right?

Sorry, 80 min, not 800MB… got my numbers discombobulated… in any event… it is still a lot of tracks like 17.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Jan. 14 2009, 1:43 AM)

What's the record for shortest song?
They used to have some pretty short songs back
in the olden days. -- Thank god

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_shortest_song_ever

Thanks Poppa U got me where I needed to go…mp3 was what I was looking for.

I assume you were not aiming for Red Book…