Why would you?

Why would you want to change a recorded track (or record one) to “stereo” when all you have to do is “pan” the mono track?
What am I missing here?

Some effects only work right on stereo tracks. :agree:

Quote: (pianoman @ Jul. 29 2009, 10:52 AM)

Why would you want to change a recorded track (or record one) to "stereo" when all you have to do is "pan" the mono track?
What am I missing here?

Why record TO stereo? Um, so you can have a stereo track? Never messed with XY, MS, ORTF or the like?
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jul. 29 2009, 11:23 AM)

Quote: (pianoman @ Jul. 29 2009, 10:52 AM)

Why would you want to change a recorded track (or record one) to "stereo" when all you have to do is "pan" the mono track?
What am I missing here?

Why record TO stereo? Um, so you can have a stereo track? Never messed with XY, MS, ORTF or the like?

No I haven't. I'm basically a crap in / crap out person and I believe in putting the song together the way I want it to come out. Hell....I'm still using 3.3 because I feel very comfortable using it.

I feel effects are only good to a point, they can be mis-used and abused.

What is the difference between setting each individual track as stereo or taking the completed / mixed down version and making it stereo?

Stereo… you use two or more mics to record something. Listen to this… I recorded it using 2 mics. I fade from mono to stereo back to mono. Hear the cymbals move? The hihat moves to the left?

http://warsaw.innova-partners.com/~cburke/DrumPhoto/SpacedPair.wma

This is TRUE stereo as opposed to various mono sources panned within the stereo field.

or another

http://warsaw.innova-partners.com/~cburke/Receital.wma

Two mics set up to record a recital in stereo.

Or, listen to just about every classical recording ever. They setup two mics and come back in an hour when the orchestra is done as the record a single stereo source. (No smart ass Decca tree comments please. :-p )

Understood!

(No smart ass Decca tree comments please. :-p )
Does not compute…
I had no intention of being disrespectful. If so, accept my apology.

Thank you!

No, Decca tree is another stereo recording method often used for large groups that uses 3 mics. I said they throw up 2 mics and walk away. The pedantic among us would of course point out that the Decca tree method uses 3 mics.

Understood !

I’m a Major Newie. Always will be I guess…
But…learn something new everyday.

I’m going to try it (stereo recording) more than just a passing thing. After all, I didn’t care too much for editing my music at first. But then I realized that if Carnegie Hall hasn’t called me to perform yet, chances are “It Aint Gonna Happen”.
So with that…it’s all about what I want to hear…

You folks are great!

Thank you!!!

This is Carnegie Hall.
We heard your desire to perform here.
You are scheduled for 7:30 pm August 27th for an all MONO show.
Best regards,

Carnegie

Do you have any special requests for your pre-and-post Dressingroom requirements ????
Booze, smoke, girls and, all

:laugh:
:p

Sorry, it’s just the natural thing to do… to add to the contract(s)…
If yea don’t have any Special Requests and attachements to add to the contract you don’t usually get called back…
:p

I’m being smart

Bill…

I run a Line6 Ux2 and record in stereo (2 tracks) because when using something like the Pod Farm for example I can get 2 tones from a single input. Makes for some unique sounds. Nevertheless, taking a single mono track, cloning it then pan them left and right also makes stereo. It really depends on your setup and the software/equipment you use.

PACO

Nice work professor! Think you could raise the level on the kick, 3 or 4 clicks? :agree:

Quote: (Levi @ Jul. 30 2009, 1:13 PM)

Nice work professor!
Think you could raise the level on the kick, 3 or 4 clicks?
:agree:

Easier said than done in over heads... that is why God invented close mics.

Yeah…stereo overheaads. Got to start with a great sounding set or you end up with a great recording of a bad drum sound. :laugh:

ideally, each stereo pair (L and R) carries different audio information. not so with panning a mono track which carries the same set of audio information. if you view the separate waveforms you will be able to SEE the differences firsthand. :agree: