width between strings Tele????

I need a huge favour.
Can someone with a Tele with a standard neck measure the gap between the strings. I went to a Tele forum and they are telling me I might have a hard time fingerpicking. This really is disapointing.

1997, USA Standard Tele. 009 EB Super Slinkys

Bridge: 11mm approx

Nut: 7mm

HTH

Mark

EDIT: Of my other guitars that currently out of their cases, my Ibanez Roadstar SG copy is pretty much the same and so is my Taylor 110 Acoustic. I’ve got a USA strat too which I’ve not measured but it doesn’t feel any different to the Tele.

I wonder if you are being led astray?

Thanks Mark,
That’s even a little more than my Yamaha, shouldn’t pose a problem great.
Thanks again

If you were a classical player, the narrow spacing might seem problematic, but you can fingerpick on practically any guitar you please. I used to do a lot of fingerpicking on a 12 string ( a la Leo Kottke ).

If you find that the spacing is too close for your hands, you can always modify the spacing at the bridge to accomodate your playing.

:)

Ya my nails are down to the quick. How can you change the width on the bridge?

You would think that changing the bridge width and string spacing would cause a problem with string alignment over the pole pieces of the pickups (especially the bridge) - On the other hand, I’ve played guitars where the pole pieces were visibly misaligned with the strings and they sounded fine. There must be a lot of overlap of the magnetic fields of the pole pieces. Still there has to be a limit to how much misalignment would be acceptable.

Even guitars that “measure” out the same can “feel” quite different.

Lots of people fingerpick on solidbody guitars. Ya just have to get used to the “new” size and play with a little more “correct” positioning to keep from buzzing out the ajacent strings on your left hand. I find that is easier than dealing with the right hand which has to get into those tiny spaces between the strings. I like Dr. Guitar’s remedy and you can also raise the action to feel more “flattoppy” (yes, I’m inventing that word!).

Your best bet would be to play the guitar model you are dreaming about and decide BEFORE you fork out the moolah.

KingFish

Quote (KingFish @ May 06 2006,19:40)
Your best bet would be to play the guitar model you are dreaming about and decide BEFORE you fork out the moolah.

KingFish

That would require a $600 flight to Vancouver. I'm literally in the middle of nowhere. There is a music store about 2 hours away but they have to special order these guitars in. I'm out of luck. Price quote "ya" or "nay" then I'm stuck with it.

I've researched the heck out of it. I'm going for the Nashville Power Tele.
Quote (StuH @ May 06 2006,08:11)
Quote (KingFish @ May 06 2006,19:40)

KingFish

That would require a $600 flight to Vancouver. I'm literally in the middle of nowhere. There is a music store about 2 hours away but they have to special order these guitars in. I'm out of luck. Price quote "ya" or "nay" then I'm stuck with it.

I've researched the heck out of it. I'm going for the Nashville Power Tele.

The Nashville Power Tele would be my pick of the litter......and an easy one to get rid of if you find you don't like it. My friend has one and loves it.

KingFish

tele’s scream"finger pick me"…i think that forum is a crock of shit,dont bleive it man.