Win XP Issue..

Looking for a resolve…

Hi Guys:
The P-111 ASUS 1.2 mhz XP Home machine I have, has started to disply a “Screen” as the machine Boots to the Desk…

A Data Execution Prevention_ Windows Explorer

screen appears… saying To Help Protect Your Computer, Windows has closed this Program…

The name of the program is - Windows Explorer

The screen has a “Close” Button" or an “X” in the right-Hand Top Corner… “Normal Looking Box” Well…

I don’t seem to remember what I was doing when I shut the machine down… But now this screen appears each time I Boot and it appears just as the DESK appears… at Boot Time… All I do is… Press the CLOSE BUTTON and I continue on as though nothing has happened… But… I’m assuming, something has caused this issue and mabey more is about to happen with this set-up…

Does some one know what is makeing this issue appear and what I could do… or… where to look to Clear-This-Screen…??

Thanks, for a reply, to this post from any of you who might shed some Light-on-this -Issue… have… :O ???

Oh Yes… I have sent … and a Report is compiled… each time I BOOT… to Micro-Soft, for a resolve… but nothing comes back from microsoft saying how to fix this issue…

Bill…

Hi Bill,

You probably have some background proggie loading with Windows Explorer (which IS the Desktop in a manner of speaking) anyway, this rogue program is causing Explorer to bomb. Check your start-up folder and services to see what is loading at boot time. There is a dud in there somewhere that Windows does not like.

TG

Hi gtr4him:
Thanks for the reply… I’ll go in there and take a peek around, and see if I can discover anything, interesting… This seems to be the first issue that has shown itself (Like This) sense I upgraded to XP…

I use AVG Free… as a virus application… It’s been working pretty good sense I started useing it after April 11th, 04, a year ago… I seem to remember when I got this app, Whatever-It-Was, in the Start-up Folder on the '98SE Desk, then… It caused me Big-Time Trouble… I’ve been “Clean” ever sence then… However, a scan of my drives now, with AVG Free doesn’t show anything… But this sure sounds (seemes) like the same thing… Till I got rid of it, it cost me a couple of hard drives… I sure hope I can resolve this and it is not a worm or virus, or anything like what I was thinking. I just recently booted that machine and, the screen didn’t appear… this last, time… What could that mean??

Most of you guys up here are pretty comfortable around your operating systems… Me… If I only knew what could be found on the Head-of-a-Pin… Well … Thanks for proding me to start looking around, in those folders…

I’ll let you know what I find, in there…

Bill…

Bill,

You could have a virus (trojan) in your boot sector which normal AV scans will not detect. See if your AV program has a boot sector scan option and run it. If it does not, download Avast! free AV scanner and run it’s boot scan which is run in a DOS window BEFORE it loads the OS. That was the only way that I found a trojan on my machine and I was having problems similar to yours.

HTH

Don

Microsoft

<!–QuoteBegin>

WORKAROUND
If your computer is set to apply DEP to all programs and services, the DEP error message will have a Change Settings button. If an update to the program is not available, follow these steps to add an exception for the program from the DEP error message: 1. When you receive the error message that is mentioned in the “Symptoms” section, click Change Settings.
2. Click to select the check box next to the program, and then click Apply.
3. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK two times, and then restart your system.

You can also add an exception for the program by using System Properties in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.
3. In Performance Options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Add.
4. In the Open dialog box, locate and then click the program.
5. Click Open, click Apply, and then click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK.

Hi Don and Bubba and TG:
Thanks for those replies… That link you posted, to that microsoft page, looks like the exact issue/resolve to whatever is on this machine. It’s not bogging down or makeing this machine run slow or anything like that… this machine’s preformance is really good… or I think so… It began by booting a little slow, and for that matter it still boots up a little differently than when the O/S was first installed…

Sense I posted this topic, the machine has become a little better… Well… You see, this machine is “Open” to whatever comes in on the telephone wire. I have some security level set on it. but I’d perfer not to make it overly secure…

I’m thinking that some young operating system freek could look at this machine and put his fingers on what may make this machine’s performance improve, or whatever… So, it’s a delicate balance.

If I open msconfig, I see all kinds of things in there that I know I’d like to be able to remove from the list or have the option to close or remove… But I’m not sure how to do that, without causing me some grief… down the road… I found I could do that in '98SE but XP…?? Well…

Bubba… when I opend that link you posted, it is, and I think the issue I’m faced with… I’ll look around in there and see if I can discover just how it applies to this machine…

Thanks… you guys…

Bill…

Bill,

Google for “Startup Inspector.” It gives a list of everything in your startup and the option to disable any of it.

Don

Hi Don:
Thanks for your reply and that Startup Inspector, Google Title…

I went to a page that has 4-5 fasenating utilities available for download…

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utiliti…ws.html

AS I reply to this topic, I have to say I don’t quite know where to start with a resolve to the issues this machine shows…

[EDIT]
One thing I did today was, I did a Cont>Alt>Delete to bring up just what Processes are running on this machine, on average… I’m STAGGERED, to find that there are 39-40 Programs/utilities that are avaliable to operate on this machine at any One-Time… The CPU Useage is approx 7% on avarage… Does that mean that this machine is operating on average at some 92-93% efficencey? The applications TAB reports that, at this moment there are 4 apps running with a CPU useage of 4-10%… Is that spec. with-in normal operating conditions?

I’m not so sure that I have a good graphics card in this machine… or good ram sticks, or a good Promise-T card with 80-pin wires or in fact a good Power supply with good Molex ENDS to power all this hardware that’s installed in the Frame of this machine…

I have the side removed from the cabinet and I’m finding that, if I Flex the power harnesses from the power supply I find that the Hard Drives are powering down as I move the harness… Something that I need to address…

The power supply does not appear overheated, but the hard drives seem to produce a fair amount of heat… You see there are 6 drives in this machine, ranging from 80- down to- 40 gig…Four of them being operated by this Promise-T Card…

Is there an alturnative Raid card to a Star-Tech Promise-T Card?

This card has preformed quite well in this machine all along… But I suspect there is an intermittant failure occuring with this card, now. As well as 6 drives in this machine, I have two DVD burners along with a floppy drive as hardware… Then there is no available PCI ports left, as, all of them are utilized… That’s what makes me think I’m running this 365 watt power supply with no “Head-room”… However, like I’ve said… The power supply doesn’t appear to run Even Warm… But who knows, what demands are being placed on it’s behaviour?.. All of the USB devices, including extra USB hard drives, scanners, and cameras, and all, are run from external powered, multi USB connectors…

My biggest concern is, the 6 hard drives that are running full-tilt… 100%… of the time from this Power Supply… They (The Hard Drives), sure run warm, in my opinion…

I’d like to replace the Graphics Card… However I have no idea as to what to exchange it, with… I think the ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro Card, has to go… I have the latest drivers installed but the MicroSoft Report says that the drivers need to be updated… and that there is no drivers available to update to… A computer tech I talked to says, I should remove those drivers and revert to, an earlier version that I used with '98SE as the operating system… ?? Well…

Mabey, a Matrox G-550 card?? Would it work on this P-111? I have an ASUS CUSL2-C main Board…

I’d like to install new Ram… and replace the two 256 meg sticks with three sticks of 512 meg ram, and fill all three slots…

Mabey, I’m just considering spending too much money on this out-dated machine… Is it beyond the CCCCUT-OFF Point, to do that?

Bill…

Beware of CTFMON.EXE Woxnerv. It is installed with Microsoft office applications and it is a bad thing and it is a resource hog. It made clicks and pops when I never had them before. This is the microsfot instructions how to remove it if you have it because killing it or trying to stop it loading on boot does not work. And it comes with Frontpage and it comes with many mcirosoft installations and I think microsoft will make it part of SP3.

Removing the Ctfmon.exe might cause problematic behavior in your Office XP programs, so removing it is not recommended. To prevent Ctfmon.exe from running, follow these steps.

Step 1: Uninstall Alternative User Input
To uninstall the alternative user input feature, set the installation state to Not Available in Office XP Setup.

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0: 1. Quit all Office programs.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
4. On the Install/Uninstall tab, click to select Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Add/Remove.
5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.
6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.
7. Click the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.
8. Click Update.
NOTE: If you have multiple Office XP products installed, for example, Office XP Professional and Publisher 2002, you must repeat the preceding steps for each installed product.

Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP: 1. Quit all Office programs.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. NOTE: In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.
3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.NOTE: In Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs.
4. In the Currently installed programs list, click to select Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Change.
5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.
6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.
7. Click the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.
8. Click Update.
NOTE: If you have multiple Office XP products installed, for example, Office XP Professional and Publisher 2002, you must repeat the preceding steps for each installed product.

Step 2: Remove Alternative User Input Services from Text Services
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel, double-click Text Services.NOTE: In Windows XP, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Regional and Language Options. On the Languages tab, click Details.
3. Under Installed Services, select each input item that is listed, and then click Remove to remove the item. All items must be removed, one by one, except the following input service:
English (United States)- default Keyboard United States 101

Step 3: Run Regsvr32 /U on the Msimtf.dll and Msctf.dll Files
1. Click Start and then click Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type the following command:
Regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll
3. Click OK.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for the Msctf.dll file.

Frequently asked questions about Ctfmon.exe

Bill, with 6 hard drives you need a good hefty power supply, period. How many watts is yours? Under power can cause all kinds if flaky behavior that don’t seem like power supply problems, or even hardware issues.

Thanks Gideon and phoo:
I’m still wrestelling with this machine and I’m wondering why this boot issue is intermittent? It’s not all the time and last night I tried to open the Ipswitch WS-FTP Home version that I use to up-load files… Up came a “Nag” screen that said I didn’t have the program properly installed… and needs to close… Then a report-to-Microsoft opens and I send off the report and suggestions comes back from microsoft giving me options of how to “Fix” the issue I have… Well…

To fix the issue, I just reloaded/installed the application over the previous install… and all is working fine… This is weird… as I’ve never had any issue with the “opening” of that utility, before…

All of this is intermittent, cause at times this machine is a TREAT for me to navigate, with… Most of the time, this machine is soo predicatable… Then this stuff…

Last night, I pulled all of the Molex Plugs out of the Hard Drives and “Front” panel hardware and “Reformed” the connectors that comes from the Power Supply wireing harnesses… If it works-it-works… But it seems better to me this morning… Mabey…

I’d have to say… I’m gonna look into a Beefier Power Supply… I agree… phoo… this machine is loaded to the MAX… And… If the power Supply ain’t work’in right, then noth’in will be stable…

Gideon… Your post is quite fastenating… I’m gonna read your reply and try to absorbe what’s in there and and then take a peak around to see what I can see… I’ll do a "Search for Ctfmon.exe and see what comes to light… However, I don’t have any word processors installed on any of the machines that’s on my internal home network…
Goodness knows what’s on these operating systems…

I only wish I knew a fraction of what most of you guys know about windows operating systems…

Thanks to all of you guys for your replies … I’m gonna continue to work on this machine… Mabey, I’ll discover just what is wrong with this machine and I wouldn’t have to report to a “Rubber Room”, after all… Well… Mabey…

Bill…

P.S. Just so you guys know… This machine is what I call my Knock-About setup that I built from used parts… way back when. I have it set-up this way to test and play with newly installed applications and hardware to see if combinations of software and hardware work well with each-other… And, I realize that I’m beginning to rely on this machine’s ability to operate flawlessly, and beyond what it was origionally built for… When it was first built, I used to call it the worst working P-111 I ever saw… But sense then, this machine has operated for me, pretty good. overall…

A couple of specific probelms you will see when the PS is weak is that bits don’t get flipped in memory (randon crashes) and reads and writes to the harddrive may not happen. If it happens when a write is attempted there can be hard drive corruption.

Hi phoo:
Thanks for the reply… I’m gonna get serious on a Hunt for a Power Supply… All of the machines I have running now has an EnerMax 365 Power Supply. They seemed right… at the time and they have persented no issues… So far. Well. up until now. They are quiet and make no fuss and all in all/most accounts, the Audio guys seems to like them… And now, I believe they are 5-6 years old. But, mabey, you know of a Power Supply that you can suggest that might Fill-the-Requirments for this machine…

I don’t recall that I’ve encountered any issues reading/writing or rendering any files to or from any of these drives… but every now-and-then the external USB Ports will show “No-Activity”. or go Dead when I try to render Photo-Files to-or-from the USB devices… ??? I’ve never really though too much about it… It could be the RAm? or something… That’s something I’d like to consider… Better quality and More ram, than I have in this machine now… It has 512 megs.

I have an active account at TigerDirect.ca in NorthEast-side Toronto… But mabey I should get something like that locally… Got any ideas? What do you think?

Bill…

I like EnerMax. That’s what I have, too. I’ve the 465 watt version (or is it 450? – what ever that model is from a few years ago).

At 365 watts you very well could be underpowered, but that’s a lot better than stock 250 or under watts. Under power will look like bad RAM sometimes - that’s what happens when bits don’t flip that should. I suggest unplugging all but the minimam number of drives and see if things clear up.

I have to put the Quest for hardware on hold for this weekend. I have to run into Moncton New Brunswick… So, I’ll be away… Hey, it’s Thanksgiving, Long Weekend, up here.

Have a nice Holliday Weekend all you Canadians…

But come next week… we’ll see. The forcast for this weekend is for heavy rain… I hate being on the roads around here in bad weather… The quality of driving around here is poor at the best of conditions… Hey, same everywhere… :laugh:

The ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro Graphics Card may have to go… But I had in mind to use it for captuering video… I may have to consider an external USB Capture device. To replace the graphics card there is an nvidia ?? 5200?? AGP, Dual Head card Whatever… I’ve been looking at it on a page, somewhere… It may be the card, for me and this set-up… However I’m not positive it will work on an ASUS P-111 setup… It’s not the Latest-and-Greatest, but I think it’s a stable card… I have this feeling that the ATI Card consumes high current from the power supply…?

Bill