Windows 7 is free to try - beta

Windows 7

You’ll need a few skills for this - not for the weak at heart or mind.

My personal disclaimer here: You screw up your computer = I’m not responsible.

Hahahahaha

Have to be a brave soul fer trying a windows beta!

Vista users will be supplied a fresh tub of Vaseline for the release of 7, yep, quit yer whinnin’, take it like a man.

:laugh:

Yes, be careful. It’s best to try Win7 on a new [unused] harddrive as it can cause havoc if you install it on another partition on a drive you currently have a working O/S on. At least one person whom I know has lost his XP after he tried to uninstall 7 that was on a separate partition on the same drive. There was also a leaked pre-beta version prior to the beta (rel.7000). Anyway, I got my registration key last weekend (the next day after the beta was released), but haven’t gotten around to downloading it yet.

Yesterday, I had three operating systems fail on two machines…
I am finally back to ‘98SE on this P-111 machine…
I think I’ll stay there till I learn not to play around with with XP Home…
I’m not able to find a way to format and prepare a drive to load XP on…
I’m gettin’ the run-around…
The install tells me I don’t have a pertition on the drives I want to re-install XP on… rhat will install XP…
If I remember, it has someting to do with the MBR file/folder…
I had better stay away from Windows 7…
for the time-being…

Bill…

I am pretty sure I read that you have to have vista already to get windows 7 to work,plus at least a gig of ram .I have none of these,but I do have 20 below temps at midnight,

There’s a joke in there somewhere re: vista and hell freezing over, but it’s too late for me to find it.

A great way of trying diffrent OS’s without even having to worry about partitioning or additional drives etc, is Microsoft’s own Virtual PC software. Just google and download it. It’s free. I’m running Windows XP here, but through Virtual PC, I also have virtual Vista, Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 installations. It’s a great program for testing.

Quote: (wozz @ Jan. 15 2009, 12:46 AM)

I am pretty sure I read that you have to have vista already to get windows 7 to work,plus at least a gig of ram .I have none of these,,,,but I do have 20 below temps at midnight,,,,,,

Nope, you can do a clean install. The early reviews say that Windows 7 is really quite good... better than Vista by a ton and even faster than XP in many cases. It supposedly uses a lot less RAM. In any event, MS has plenty of time to undo all of that.

Yep, I’ve seen a few early reviews myself praising its speed. And so far Windows 7 has been regarded (nicknamed) as “Vista SP3” (or perhaps SP4) and that’s probably not far from the truth.

Remember - Chevy Vega was ‘Car of the Year’ in 1974

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Jan. 15 2009, 10:15 PM)

Remember - Chevy Vega was 'Car of the Year' in 1974

Awww GEEZ 7 o' 11!!! I had spent years putting the Vega completely out of my mind!! You just HAD to bring it up... :laugh:

Of course, Ford had the Pinto. Choosing between those two was like choosing between a pile of cows$%t or a pile of bulls$%t... ??

D