Windows 98 SE users

Unofficial service pack-Use at own risk

Hi there !

I stumbled onto this - haven’t tested it yet, and I don’t know what it’ll do, but this guy went and got all the recomended updates from MS for 98SE and bundled it into a 'service pack’

Use at your own peril…

Win98SE sp

Hi Wihan:
Thanks for that link… I’m downloading the files as I reply here… I’m gonna be one of the guys here on this Board that’ll be useing '98SE for as long as I am able to do that… I have this audio hardware that has drivers, up-to and including '98SE and 2000… But it’s going to happen… No more support to that operating system… MicroSoft doesn’t want it around, anymore… Well… However, for the time-being, I’m still able to download updates… But for how long will they offer the page??

I’m considering “Ghosting” (Is that the TERM? ) a "Clean Partition of '98SE on a CD to have as a back-up. Do you think that might have merrit for me to do that? Haveing said that… I’m not sure how to go about doing that task… What’s a good way/utility to use… to do that? And will it be something that’ll be “Bootable”? When loaded to a Hard Drive?

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ Aug. 03 2005,07:18)
I'm considering "Ghosting" (Is that the TERM? ) a "Clean Partition of '98SE on a CD to have as a back-up. Do you think that might have merrit for me to do that? Haveing said that.. I'm not sure how to go about doing that task.. What's a good way/utility to use.. to do that? And will it be something that'll be "Bootable"? When loaded to a Hard Drive?

Bill..

Bill, that's a good idea.

I don't know how it works nowadays, but when I still used to do it, you would boot into dosmode, then run ghost to make an image (that you could write to cd).

All you then need is a bootable floppy (or CD) with the ghost program on it, as well as a cd-rom driver.

Then you point it to the ghost image, tell it what harddrive to overwrite, check that it's the right one, check it again and hit 'go'.

I’ve done this too. Plenty of utils around. I use Partition Magic ('cos I’ve got it).

You can’t create an image of a drive and put the created image on the same drive as you are imaging (for obvious reasons). Just something to be aware of.

Hi Wihan:
Why I ever formatted that nice-working drive, is beyond my imagination… ??? :( That Lexicon Core-32 set-up worked so nice, with that P-4 DAW… and '98SE… If I ever get it working again, I’m gonna get some one to break my fingers… so I never screw around that set-up, when I’m near it… sigh-sigh… Again…

Bill…

Thanks Wihan! i download it and will try after Ghost my system… it says clearly This is only for WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH but happens that sometimes there are not problem (sometimes yes…). So, be aware of that international users.

<!–QuoteBegin>

so I never screw around that set-up

Bill, that’s in line with my way of thinking as well. If it aint broke…
I’m just thinking it’ll be neat to have everything together for incase you will need to reinstall at some point.
It’ll be cool to not have to download all the updates from scratch again.

Marce - that’s good as well. When I make some changes, I don’t ever like to go through a ‘one way valve’. I need to have a route to get back to how it was before just in case.

W.

Quote (Mark A @ Aug. 03 2005,11:20)
I’ve done this too. Plenty of utils around. I use Partition Magic ('cos I’ve got it).

You can’t create an image of a drive and put the created image on the same drive as you are imaging (for obvious reasons). Just something to be aware of.

Hi Mark:
If you can elaborate just a little… It might help me in my understanding… I have Partition Magic… I’ve been playing around with the organizing of the drives, of these DAWs.

It looks as though I’m leaning toward the P-111 and the P-4 will each have a Dual Boot set-up… The reason for the P-111 haveing two boot drives/partitions is… To explore the behaviour of audio applications, on both Operating systems, before installing that stuff on the the studio DAWs…

My thinking is… to mabey, never haveing to find myself doing what I’m doing right now… What’s it called? A Lesson-in-the-Learning… Well…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Learning Lessons comes from “Makeing Mistakes”… and… I’ve made plenty of them… :O ???

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

If you can elaborate just a little… It might help me in my understanding… I have Partition Magic… I’ve been playing around with the organizing of the drives, of these DAWs.

Hi Bill,

Basically, Partition Magic can’t create an image of a drive if it keeps changing - which it will do if the image file that’s being created is stored on the same drive as being imaged! In other words - to create the image of one drive you must have another - at least temporarily - to put the image on. Once you’ve created the image it can be copied to CD and the 2nd drive removed. You don’t need a 2nd harddrive to restore an image.

HTH

Mark