Windows Task Manager

Commit Charge/Page File usage

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what these things mean?

My page file usage has been running at around the same level as my total installed physical RAM ie 512Mb. Does this mean that it’s having to swap data back and forward from the HD into RAM?

Is this why I’m getting popping noises with eq windows open.

Mike

From the net:

- Commit Charge Total—This number shows the size of virtual memory in use. You’ll notice that this number matches the number shown in MEM Usage.

- Commit Charge Limit—This shows the size of your paging limit. The paging limit is the maximum size your virtual memory can be without making changes to its configuration.

- Commit Charge Peak—This number shows the highest amount of virtual memory used since you began tracking usage.

The noises you are hearing could be from paging but it’s good practice to not be running near your physical memory limit. You should also make sure that your page file is larger than your physical memory (some recommend 2x) and that it gets created at full size when your system starts up, i.e., it doesn’t grow automatically. You can see this in the System performance tab.

Hope this helps.

CC

Also, from http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php :

16. Fix Swap File (Virtual Memory)
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory Change > Custom Size. Set initial and maximum size to the same value