Writers Block

yey, i’m chuffed that you guys like it. I think i’m gonna add some more guitar to pad it out a little and keep it moving in the middle, thinking if going with a little flute ditty too…maybe, do you think it needs any harmonies on the chorussy bit?

I’m liking being back at the desk :;):

Click on the mixer icon.
If you have a sterio track combining the guitar and vocal. On the left border hightlight that track.
Then go to edit and choose to split the sterio track, then after they are split make adjustments
For the guitar track, you will see 3 nobs. the left nob is for bass, turn that one back to about 9.30 or untill you like it.
You could increse the one on the far right to about 2 oclock to give a little more bite on the high end, just below hissing.
Then raise the volume of the guitar about 3 click.
I would like to hear the guitar more with out all the bassie rumble :wink: Is that why you turned it down in the second version?
It’s possible the bassie rumbel was because I was listening on a diffrent laptop! OR it was YOUR mixing causng that. :laugh:

Jam along.
hit record and sing along.
If you hear parts that sond awsome with more vocals yea!
Other wise we love your voice any way you do it :p Or you could put a repeating line someting like “I love Levi” I love Levi’s music". Some where in there! :p That would be nice :wink:

I’d like to hear phoo and TomS finish this one off for you Ange. Where’s Tom been anyway?

Quote: (Levi @ Jun. 21 2009, 4:19 PM)

Click on the mixer icon.
If you have a sterio track combining the guitar and vocal. On the left border hightlight that track.
Then go to edit and choose to split the sterio track, then after they are split make adjustments
For the guitar track, you will see 3 nobs. the left nob is for bass, turn that one back to about 9.30 or untill you like it.
You could increse the one on the far right to about 2 oclock to give a little more bite on the high end, just below hissing.
Then raise the volume of the guitar about 3 click.
I would like to hear the guitar more with out all the bassie rumble ;) Is that why you turned it down in the second version?
It's possible the bassie rumbel was because I was listening on a diffrent laptop! OR it was YOUR mixing causng that. :laugh:

:D i've had a quick play, is this any better?...

writersblock/test

I still think it's kinda bassy? should I move the middle knob? that seems to make it a little brighter?

guitar track has gone up a good few clicks...do you like the light compression and reverb on vox?...I tried to do some mixing :whistle:

Ange x
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 21 2009, 4:36 PM)

I'd like to hear phoo and TomS finish this one off for you Ange. Where's Tom been anyway?

I must say...the thought had crossed my mind :) they are my music guru's after all :love:

yeh...where be Tom when ya need him?

Ange x
Quote: (ange @ Jun. 21 2009, 4:43 PM)

:D i've had a quick play, is this any better?...

writersblock/test

I still think it's kinda bassy? should I move the middle knob? that seems to make it a little brighter?

guitar track has gone up a good few clicks...do you like the light compression and reverb on vox?...I tried to do some mixing
:whistle:

Ange x

Yea that much better and yes you can adjust the middle one a little. Should to your liking!
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Now build a click track. 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 :wink: make it for 5 mins lol it’s always a good idea.
Also go to ntracks effects and put compressor on the guitar :wink: That will make your guitar sound like a million bucks.

I was only teasin about the click track. Your timing sounds good! I don’t know that this song needs a whole bunch of orchestration. If you put some compression on the guitar it should make a big difference in the total sound. It sounded good and interesting as it is.

Listening to it just now with bigger speakers I’m hearing conflicting tones.
There seems to be to much bass or mid on both parts and the echo on the voice is compounding the problem.
This makes it difficult to concentrate on the song, really.
It would be simple to save it to a PSF and email it to pops or me or anyone here for some quick assistance in eqing. It would take 15 mins)
We could make some presets for you to work with.

Why not tell Robbie that inorder for him to win your hand in marrage, he first has to learn how to engineer procuce and mix your songs?
:cool:

:laugh: One more thing while it's still on my mind; I would turn the "ut oh's" into words. At least for every other time. That could be your hook as you display the ill effects of the P'brain situation.

OR do nothing at all and it's still a very cool song! :)

Gotta disagree on the “uh oh” change. It’s hooky as is. Having played it for a seven year old fan of yours and hearing her instanly sing along… I wouldn’t change it.

Not sure I would change anything too much. Maybe try to brighten up the guitar a little, but pretty good as-is. Very clever and catchy song Ange. :agree:

:laugh: Ya don't think we made her mad and ran her off do ya? I mean the idea of a click track of all things! Where is TommyS when he's really needed? Suppose he's in the dog house? Maybe he got in trouble at school! Could be on vacation? Oh well times aaa wastin!

My music stuff has been totally limited to mixing 2.5 hours of live R-N-R for DVD.

I’m into doing whatever whenever on this or anything else from Ange and Tom as soon as I’m at a good stopping place on the 5.1 mix.

I had to re do the studio temporarily to be setup for a real 5.1 mix. It’s a lot of fun, but I’ve run into some real new limitations or bugs, or whatevers that have no workarounds with this project. (24bit - 48k
- 6 channels out) Yes, they have been reported.

I love Ange’s new song as-is. Doesn’t mean it couldn’t or should be done a little differently. A good song is a great song when it works as different genres. Most of Ange’s song are that way. This one is no different. In a way the pot gets poisoned a little when we hear they with just Ange and guitar. It’s hard to improve on existing greatness and easy to mess up.

Nothing wrong with messing up occasionally trying to improve greatness.

Quote: (phoo @ Jun. 22 2009, 11:30 AM)

My music stuff has been totally limited to mixing 2.5 hours of live R-N-R for DVD.

I'm into doing whatever whenever on this or anything else from Ange and Tom as soon as I'm at a good stopping place on the 5.1 mix.

I had to re do the studio temporarily to be setup for a real 5.1 mix. It's a lot of fun, but I've run into some real new limitations or bugs, or whatevers that have no workarounds with this project. (24bit - 48k
- 6 channels out) Yes, they have been reported.

I love Ange's new song as-is. Doesn't mean it couldn't or should be done a little differently. A good song is a great song when it works as different genres. Most of Ange's song are that way. This one is no different. In a way the pot gets poisoned a little when we hear they with just Ange and guitar. It's hard to improve on existing greatness and easy to mess up.

Nothing wrong with messing up occasionally trying to improve greatness.

Oh you charmer Mr Phoo! :love:

I hear the sound of drums...
Quote: (Levi @ Jun. 22 2009, 8:40 AM)

:laugh: Ya don't think we made her mad and ran her off do ya?
I mean the idea of a click track of all things!
Where is TommyS when he's really needed?
Suppose he's in the dog house?
Maybe he got in trouble at school!
Could
be on vacation?
Oh well times aaa wastin!

I did do it to a click...i just forgot to save the file :s

Thats all good!
:agree:
I got a new guitar idea today and hooked up n, added some drums as a click track and jammed on it and recorded that for an hr continuously maybe longer, one huge long take.
Came up with a mile of ideas and good licks.
The hard part will be sifting though all that for the favorites.

It’s kind of a “CalipsoBoogieDeltaBlues” kind of vib.
I might finish it, ya never know.
I’ve really gotten off my routine lately.
Just looking at the studio thinkin that’s cool I’ll be back!
I have to admitt it felt good to get back into it a little.

Yea be happy, you’ve got a cool tune here.

Just listened again with head phones and the other laptop.
Sounds a little like the guitar was recorded to hot.
Or the mic could have been in a diffrent position.
I would try a few diffrent settings or positions.
Do some test takes and prepare for a new recording in a few days.
About the Oh Oh’s.
I like the melody and phrasing.
I just tought that since you do it twice each time that one of the two could be the same melody and phrasing of the oh oh’s but using words out of the previous verse, in place of one set of oh oh’s.
Kind of a summarizing that verse.
Just a thought, an idea.
And I know that goes way past your original question of: did the slowing cause the song to loose it’s original feel.
Sure. So what?
You always put great attitude in your songs/takes/recordings.
Soal!
:agree: you got it!

Really clever rhymes, great lyrics and flow, I like this version better because the quick pace seems to be there (like the the first version) when the guitar goes double time, Like the technical science in the verse! Nice one!

Hopefully TOmS is on a wonderful vacation away from it all, and cyberspace too maybe.