Writing Advice From Poppa

…not directly…

"what success I had was a direct result of writing for or with an artist, and having an ‘in’"

Wise words there Poppa, and I didn’t realise the relevance of them until lately.

I can’t kid myself that I want to perform all over the place, so I’m going to concentrate a lot of my limited writing time to writing for others.
I scraped together the cash for a taxi membership, and I’m going to write for specific listings to see if I can get it down to an art.

Maybe I can…maybe I can’t. But it’s mainly thanks to you all here that I decided to write more songs at all after ‘Who I Am’.

There. A completely selfish post really…just…Thanks Poppa (as ever).

…if anyone was interested… ???

I see nothing selfish about it. Go Craig. :agree:

yer all selfish. ev’ry last one of yuhz. don’t change a bit.

A lot of writers here would do well with Taxi. From what I hear about them they shine in TV theme placement.
Thanks for the kind words Craiger Spread.

Poppa gave me the best advice I ever got… “STOP NOW! YOU SUCK!!” :laugh:

Joking…

This dude has it GOING ON though… sheesh…

I wasn’t joking! :laugh:

Those 4 guys are good! - They even look alike!

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Mar. 04 2009, 7:11 PM)

A lot of writers here would do well with Taxi.

What about Nashville Songwriters Association International? I checked out our local chapter a couple of years ago. The woman that was in charge irritated me to no end, so I never followed through.

So what can Taxi and the NSAI do for you, besides collect membership fees? Does anyone here have first hand success or know anyone that actually sold a song through these associations?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but in all my years of playing & song writing I have never known anyone having any success with either; other then the folks listed on thier propaganda.

If you have had some success with either please share your experiences. Craig, if you would keep us up dated on your experiences and thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Skecptically yours,

Duff

Will do Duffman.

Had my written stuff rejected up to now, but they give a reasonable critique on each, and marks out of 10 for production, vocals, arrangement etc.

Maybe I’ve just lost my money…I dunno, but I thought it worth a shot…

Duff - you are right to be skeptical. Associations are more for folks who have had some success already. Taxi has made use of the internet to ‘pitch’ not only it’s service but it’s members songs. But don’t let anyone fool you - most songs are cut because a point of contact was made face to face and someone got a piece of the publishing pie along the way.

I was in the right place . . .

. . . musta been the wrong time.

Wish that quadruplet ^^^^ would learn to play an instrument! :cool:

Cool vid D, thx for sharing! I would lov to do one like that. Yea that guys got mucho pazazz! Like the 4 views in one, great!

PW is a pretty good ol’boy with some good ol horse sense for a mountain mule! Good man!

Give your self some credit there Chreig, you’ve got a voice to kill for! Well not exactly to actually kill for but you know what I mean. :agree:

Quote:

Wish that quadruplet ^^^^ would learn to play an instrument! :cool:

Yeah, if he'd concentrate on one instrument, he might be good someday.
???
Quote:

But don't let anyone fool you - most songs are cut because a point of contact was made face to face and someone got a piece of the publishing pie along the way.

Schmoozing... that's the ticket. (Not that I'm any good at it.) A lyricist friend of mine, though not getting rich at it, makes a nice little supplement to his junior high school teacher's pay through the connections he's made with musicians and publishers. He's always keeping up with what publishers are looking for, then hooking up with whatever musician/songwriter he thinks might turn his lyrical ideas into a marketable song. If he meets a songwriter who has had success, he'll pester them till they have no choice but to write with him. (Maybe pester is too strong a word, but you get the point.) He beams with pride over the nickname I gave him years ago, the "Songwriting Whore." He's the main force behind
"Songwriter's Night" at a local bar, swearing he's not trying to give me a guilt trip when I beg out now and then. He's not a musician, and the only singer he can remotely imitate is Bob Dylan, but he's doing a good job of working on his "retirement plan." That's what it takes... schmoozing.

everyone knows…it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.

and knowing is half the battle…