Yo, Mr Soul

Got a computer question for ya

I dropped an SATA hard drive into my home computer the other day. The SATA chip set is an on-board VIA chipset. Anyway, windows would not recognise the harddrive even after all applicable drivers were installed. On top of it all, the computer crashed hard and would not even read my boot drive (a PATA drive). So I am in the process of reinstalling windows (boy, do I love doing this :angry: ).

Here is the question, is there a simple way to install an SATA hard drive?

Does your motherboard support SATA? If not, then Windows won’t recognize it.

Mike, he said he had a built in controller.

Are you certain the drive is showing up in POST and in the BIOS? If not, that would be the first place to start. Also, here is a handy article link. SATA doesn’t have any of the jumper fiddling that regular old ATA had, so it should be pretty much plug and play assuming the BIOS sees the drive. Some BIOSs have a detection utility built in or some other horsing around that “autodetects” the drives.

Assuming the BIOS sees the drive, notice when you install Windows when it is first booting to the inital setup screen (still blue screen, no GUI yet) there is an option to hit F6 to load additional RAID or disk drivers. If Windows does not have the driver as part of the OEM cab, you will need to have the manufacturer’s disk handy before you can continue with your install adn load the controller’s drivers at this point.

<!–QuoteBegin>

The SATA chip set is an on-board VIA chipset.

This is what he said & I need to know more information about it, i.e., is it on his mobo or is it a card he bought?

I took Doc to mean that it was a VIA chipset SATA controller built into the mobo. I could of course, be mistaken.

D

Could be. We also need to know what this means:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Anyway, windows would not recognise the harddrive even after all applicable drivers were installed.

Normally you don’t have to install drivers for SATA to work. It also depends on what Windows he’s talking about, i.e., I’m assuming he’s runing W2000 or WXP but I could be wrong.

I run 2 SATA drives in RAID-0 using W2000 and it works great, but I had to install RAID drivers to make it work.

For any machine that I’ve built for one of my clients, Serial ATA just works with WXP, i.e., you don’t have to install a driver.

Sorry guys, computer was down… lol

Here is the short story. A8V motherboard with VIA SATA chipset built on to the board. I installed an SATA hard drive and windows XP would not recognise it. So I installed the VIA SATA RAID drivers in windows… even though I was not going to use a RAID config. Anyway, I finally got windows to see the drive, but it could not recognise the size of the drive (250gig) nor would it format the drive (in the computer management progarm in XP). Here is where it gets more fun. So I decided to try to format the drive using MaxBlast 4 in DOS mode. I was able to format it there and windows recognized the drive (long enough to dump files onto it). Once the drive had files on it, I tried to open a file and the file was corrupted. Then it went downhill again… I tried to erase the files and windows would not allow it… the files were too far gone. So back to MaxBlast 4. THis time after a MaxBlast format, windows could not see the drives again… Now start back up a paragraph or so and repeat about a dozen times…

Well, finally the computer would not even reboot back to windows. There was some sort of freakin error that would not allow windows to start. :angry:

Even though a sledge hammer would have probably solved my problem (an accurate blow directly placed on my temple would have helped), I opted for removing the SATA drive and calling the ASUS folks. Their tech support was noticably annoyed when I mentioned that there were hundreds of posts on the net about this problem with their A8V series boards. He gave me an exact setup that would allow the SATA chipset to work properly. This setup needed the use of a floppy drive during the reinstall of windows XP. A floppy drive folks… remember those? I haven’t installed one of those in my machines for many years.

So I borrowed a floppy drive and followed his instructions precisely. Well… ya da ya da and blah , blah, blah… 4 Windows XP reinstalls later, I had a good, stable, working computer with the SATA drive safely returned to the computer store and me with a few hundred extra white hairs.

Ya know what they say, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. BUt if ya like to work on computers there is an other saying, “If it ain’t broke, fix it till it is!”

Dr - I’m sorry that you had these problems & you shouldn’t have had with an Asus board. I looked up the A8V and it’s a AMD mobo. I’ve never used one, but I seem to recall that others have had problems with VIA chipsets?