You found out

Mix 1 of Song 1 (2007)

Hi folks!Dan Lachance

Been poking around in these forums alot this year but haven’t been posting until now - slow time of year!

I’m not sure how to describe the song- basic synthy rock I guess, raw vocals, 80s sort of synth sounds (because I can’t find modern free soundfonts!) - just lookin for your thoughts on anything from mix / sound / to lyrics. Thanks for reading!

The song is called “You Found Out”.

http://lachance.mooo.com/

I dig it Dan. Especially the vocal harmonies and the rhythm guitar. The rhythm guitar won’t let my brain lock onto a key - and yet it seems to have one. That’s cool!

PS - I like the synths you used. If you’re looking for updated stuff, I think the trend for pure synth has drifted away from soundfonts and toward VSTis. You can d/l some good free VST synths loaded up with a bunch of presets, and of course can make your own sounds. Check out KVR, and you’ll find a ton of them. Good starting points are Triangle, Crystal, Karma.

Triangle I but not II, IMHO, HotDog. :)

The bass sound in particular is great - but I’d like to hear it in full resolution on my big home speakers - on the headphones the mp3 sounds like it has a low end problem - lots very low like 30, 40 hz. But it could just be the headphones I’m listening on right now.

Tell us about the drums/percussion, and about how the guitars were recorded. The break at about 3:10 is cool. But I’m a sucker for guitars playing harmony. :)

I won’t say anything about the habs jersey…

Hey HotDogWater,

Amazing! Somebody else digs the old synth sounds (ha ha)
Thank you for the info on VST synths - I really need to put some time into that.

TomS,

I’m not a Habs fan in particular; I barely even follow hockey!
As for low end, you may be right; I’ll have to check this out.
The kick / snare are electric (and played by a human being - myself; not programmed!) The cymbals are real since I’m not a fan of triggered cymbals.

There are 3 guitar tracks recorded clean; I used the Amplitude Guitar Modeler VST Plugin to apply distortion.
I like guitar harmony stuff also!

Thanks for your input guys!

You know, I had a hard time trying to figure out if the drums were sequenced or played live. It is pretty obvious that the snare and kick are samples, but then again I thought it was one heck of a good job sequencing if that’s what it was - but it wasn’t! :) I’m also surprised that the guitars sounded that good through the software - somehow soft amp sims never work for me. I really gave amplitube a good try, too. Human error, one guesses. Me being the human.

It’s the low end on the guitars that I think I’m hearing. Something kind of boggy down there.

Eyup!

Good stuff Dan, I especially liked the different guitar sounds, which worked together really well.

Steve

I agree with Tom - I didn’t know amplitube could sound that good and would have never guessed it. Clearly you’ve mastered that app :)

Wait…did you actually say that…you…are…not…a…habs…fan…and…you…barely…watch…hockey?

I take it all back. the music is horrible!

KIDDING :D

Wow, love the vocal mix. And the guitars sound really beefy. Have always admired your songwriting skills. For rock songs, everything sounds fairly fresh and timeless. I really like the dynamic changes in the song too. Can’t really think of anything specific I would alter. Great song!

Thank you for your kind words ksdb.

Font ColorTotal dig the synth too. THe guitar sounds great. WHo did all the vocals. Kind of Queensrych-ish harmonies. How did you record those? And what mic etc…
What hardware are you using to input with Ntrack?

Hi guitarguts!

Thanks for listening and commenting.

I did all the vocals and music, only because it’s convenient and very fast. Queensrych-ish harmonies - wow, now that to me is a compliment!

I use a Sure SM57 mic for recording vocals. I have an old Yamaha MT120 4track that I line into my Creative SoundBlaster Live soundcard - I plug my mic, guitar, electric drums etc into the 4 track. I have a very old Yamaha midi keyboard I use with soundfonts for synth/piano sounds - so that’s my setup!

Dan

This tune sounds great! Very nice job.

N-I-C-E!

Thanks alot for listening everyone!