You Me and Our Music Business

The making of a Music Economy.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I look at todays music business like this: There are a lot of musicians. More musicians than one would expect or believe there is. Ok now hold that thought here at the nTrack stable!

Most fan bases could consist of a big bunch of musicians. And it’s normal to expect our own specific fan base to be made up of musicians or a large percentage of. If your like me you save your download, CD purchase money for the elite artists. The super groups that we love, for the most part anyway.

But we need to spread revenue around in the lower levels as well. For instance: Bubba needs bands or songs to master. Ok most of you can probably master your own sufficiently enough, but what’s wrong with sending a couple songs his way to see if he can’t possibly make a difference, even if you feel you don’t need it? I think it would be worth it to find out. And obviously it would generate some cash’flow amoung lower level music folk. (Nothing personal meant there bugga, only talking about revenue).

The same with mp3 downloads. I personally would love to know what is the easiest, safest download location to buy your downloads? Sound click? Snocap? I want the best of all of you for my personal enjoyment CDs/mp3 player. Why? I want to help create a cash flow among lower level artists and I’m sure I would enjoy the music. For instance PW, he doesn’t want to be an old F trying to sell CDs on the net. I think that is the wrong attitude. But I also feel that he’s feeling the failing of the site itself which doesn’t reflect accurately how good his recordings are. (sorry to single you PW) But your a perfect example here because you shut it down. People make an effort! We are only talking about a dollar here and there for downloads.
I personally like snocap’s ease and flexibility. How well does soundclick’s store work? Any one have any success or problems with that one? Or are mp3s saved on computers STILL, after a song is streamed off the net? Please tell me that isn’t so!
I believe if there is no cash flow in the community, there well be no economy for us to grow with.

I recently paid a bass player (payment through paypal) to record a few tracks. (I wrote up a simple contract for each to agree to)I could have gotten it for no cost but I think we need to help each other. Buy paying him, I had no problem saying things like: sorry that part isn’t rite for the song pls redo it. It worked out very well.

So what is it that you do?
What do you charge?
And where are your downloads working?
Please help move this idea along.
Levi

I’ll go first.
I’m Levi Stringer I do blues guitars. Can write on any topic from any starting point, arrange, and produce you (only honestly).
Have vision and can help you develop your style.
My guitars will be very soulful and bluzy. Bass parts will be original and tasty. Vocals can be lead and can do harmony. I can also create and arrange your drum parts.
I go for $60.00 a track per inst.
levi@levistringer.com
My downloads are here at My Space
Or SoundClick
Or My Site SnoCapStore
Thx,
Levi

Here is a post that reinforces my point PW. Hope you get a chance to read it and comment.
Gaming associated with the SoundClick charts

Everyone else? Just say where your downloads are. I’m sure many of you have never given selling your skills a thought, or putting a price on your skills. It wouldn’t hurt you to think about it.

The title should have read: “You Me and The Music Business”… Didn’t mean to imply that we where all going to work together!!! :laugh: Come on don’t be shy.
I want to know about you. :peace:
Levi

I only work on tunes for free, for friends. I love the barter exchange system. I usually have more money than I know what to do with. I hate money. Always have. I’ll read the link.
Now you know a few things about me.
The charts thing at SoundClick? I don’t get it.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Sep. 28 2008, 10:00 PM)

I only work on tunes for free, for friends. I love the barter exchange system. I usually have more money than I know what to do with. I hate money. Always have. I'll read the link.
Now you know a few things about me.
The charts thing at SoundClick? I don't get it.

I'm wondering if the soundclick download store works or not. And where nTrack artists have their songs for sale.

Oh - OK - I don’t know if the store works. Sorry - I was cornfused.
I gave up on selling music years ago. And if I sold my services I’d have to listen to someone tell me to do it over. :p

:laugh: Well approaching a song differently sometimes can be a good thing, and fun.
I'd really like to hear from someone who has had any success with a soundclick store. Set one of your better tunes for sale there and let me know I'll buy it, see if it works.
itunes works well but sound click has some awesome advertising tools. And yes that is how you get to the top of the charts there. I did a quick promo test with red rooster and like a balloon, to #1 for a couple days. But then faded away. If I can get one to stick on it's own merit then I've got something. This is a hobby for me too. Just like testing the waters.

Wonder why all the soundclick links where blocked coming out of nTrack the other day?

If we could get nTrack purring for eveyone then I think Flavio should open a soundclick page for the advertising purposes. He could feature some of us for his use. But some guys r obviously not happy now, and that isn't good.

My songs/collaborations are all freely available on my website at www.ianbrough.com and some of them are on soundclick for free also. The commercial side doesn’t interest me and if I put my stuff up for sale it might confirm my suspicion that I’m not good enough to sell anything :)
So I’ll just knock out a few tunes with good friends and continue to live in the fluffy rose pink clouds of commercial ignorance
:laugh:
My Webpage

Soundclick page

In my experience… there are a lot of musicians, and only a few good ones. In town there are two or three known studios and only one of them I would feel comfortable sending someone to as the other two are miserable. (Thus my efforts as I know there is a niche I can fill quickly.) Since The Slang record came out, I have gotten more press in town than I know what to do with simply as folks are calling our record one of the best sounding indie releases to come out in the area in 20 years. Not my words either. I can also walk into a gig running sound and pull $300 for a night no questions asked based on my rep alone. Pick up a drum gig for $200 for a night with no rehearsal for the same reason. So take that for what it is worth. There are a lot of wannabes in this game. My point being, the music business is strong if you are good (and I think I am finally getting close to being good). So when you say there are more than you would expect… believe me. I know how many are out there and also how few are worth a darn. So perhaps it puts things in perspective a bit as the market is not futile if you are willing to really work. However, making it as a rock star is not how you do it. Diversification is the key.

That said, what do you want? I record, mix, master, arrange, produce, play (guitar, drums, keys) consult… you name it.

Quote:

So perhaps it puts things in perspective a bit as the market is not futile if you are willing to really work. However, making it as a rock star is not how you do it. Diversification is the key.

That said, what do you want? I record, mix, master, arrange, produce, play (guitar, drums, keys) consult... you name it.

Hi Bubba,
What are you going to charge for mastering?
And where are your downloads working?
Quote: (Bruffie @ Sep. 30 2008, 11:51 PM)

My songs/collaborations are all freely available on my website at www.ianbrough.com and some of them are on soundclick for free also.
My Webpage

Soundclick page

Ok thx bruffie,
I'll see what you got this weekend.
Levi
Quote: (Bruffie @ Sep. 30 2008, 11:51 PM)

My songs/collaborations are all freely available on my website at www.ianbrough.com I'll just knock out a few tunes with good friends and continue to live in the fluffy rose pink clouds of commercial ignorance :laugh:
My Webpage

Soundclick page

Bruffie I was expecting a little more hair ??? Hey that blues brother look works!
If I where you I would milk that! I'm not exactly sure what you do. You do keys, sing, write and arrange? Liked your keys liked you vocals.
I like "muse" would have your lead do a couple more takes, but then you didn't ask me for that. I wouldn't give up on that song.

What do you do?
Did you record some blues?
Thx Bruffie,
Levi

Show your links pw :laugh:

Quote: (Levi @ Oct. 02 2008, 4:50 AM)

I like "muse" would have your lead do a couple more takes, but then you didn't ask me for that.
I wouldn't give up on that song.

What do you do?
Did you record some blues?
Thx Bruffie,
Levi

Hi Levi,

More or less gave up on 'Muse'. Although I wrote the lyrics, Tim Springer wrote the melody, and I found it a difficult song to sing. Breathing was tricky! Yaz (Who did a lot of the guitars)is still playing around with the mix on it. Might have one more go at the vox (and then give up:) )

Closest I got to Blues was 'Ain't Loving You Tonite', kind of up-tempo Blues.

Cheers,
Ian

Here’s my link for my tunes.
me and my music business

I am kinda in the same boat as PW. I am at the point in my life where I finally have $$$. Dont care if I sell anything anymore. I already have a business, with 21 employees, where I spend 6 days a week, 10-12 hours per day. I dont have the time it takes to devote or need the hassle of trying to make money off of music. Destress via creation!!!

That said, I have been looking over some old and new project files I have started slicing into loops. I would be willing to post some these in MP3 format, if anyone is interested. Slice, dice, edit as you please…Is anyone else willing to do the same?

Is there any interest in sharing this type of resource?

DUFF

Downloads… iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody…

Mastering, depends on the job.

Quote:

In my experience... there are a lot of musicians, and only a few good ones.

I agree with Bubba on this one, if we're talking about being able to produce quality work that truly enhances the project, and done on a consistent and timely basis. That takes dedication, not to mention the social skills required to actually work with people.

I came into this as a singer/guitarist/songwriter. I can't hit the high notes I used to, I've never been a virtuoso on guitar, and it seems I "edit" more songs these days than I actually write myself. I rely more on midi and various soft synths to develop musical ideas than I did in the past, and I'm slowly improving my engineering skills. The thought of making money at all this is appealing, but it would be more likely through collaborations than by charging for services.

Meh… too many other, more “reliable” ways to make money. My music “work” helps me keep my sanity.

Besides, I am definitely NOT in that tiny, top few percent who have the skills and know-how to make a decent living at this game. I just enjoying doing it.

I couldn’t give it away much less sell it… (My sanity… not my music…) LOL… :laugh:

TG