You Think.

Lend me your ears

Let me know what it sounds like on your set-up cause I can’t hear it anymore.
Cheers.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9090055

Oh yeah cool cool cool tune…In spots I losted the main vocals in the mix…so you might want to bring them up just a touch. And there is one drum sound. sounds almost like someone is tapping on the mic, thats right up front and in my ear and driving me nuts.

This song is one of the most orginal I have heard in a long while. I’m diggin the crap outta this. This whole songs works so well…and the little touches like the bend on the VSTi clarinet/oboes?

This is a slam bang hit here dude!!

Cheers Duff.
That ‘thwack’ is a ukulele - I’ll tame it.
The ‘sax’ is the one we had flying round a short while ago back - TomS found a nice use for it a couple o’ toons back.
Glad you like it. Fun Fun Fun:-)

Best thing posted here in a year.

What style would you call that?
:laugh:

You should set up the free bandcamp account so we all could have full lossless files. I’m done with soundclick.

Cheers for the pointer, Tom - I’ll check in.
Style!? I dunno, whadda you reckon?
No rules, is good rules. :laugh:

I’d never have got it finished without all the help I’ve had from you guys - thank you all.

n-Track is the best toy I’ve ever had - yes - even better than the little plastic record player I had in 1971.

PS. Any more tips on the mix are more than welcome.

And. If anyone fancies joining in on the chorus - send me a wav - it could do with more than just ten of me.

My tip for the mix is: obviously, never listen to my tips for mixes.
:)

That’s a great mix, in my book.

Sounds like old Peter Gabriel… very cool. I would certainly bring up the vocals a fair amount as they are lost to me. Hihat could come down a tad too.

Thanks Bubba, doin’ it now.

Oh joy! Daughter home from Uni for the weekend. That’s two more tracks on the chorus!
She looks coool in cans.

Thanks Bubba, doin’ it ‘now’.

Oh joy! Daughter home from Uni for the weekend. That’s two more tracks on the chorus!
She looks coool in cans.

I like the structure of the song. If you don’t mind me saying so, I’ll give you my take on it. Drums are over re-verbed lack punch/kick too far from center/more treble on high end. Try to get the drums to be between 70 and 80 on the pan side of things. Vocals are buried, try to set them at 50 to 55 on the pan and increase the volume with back-up vocals up/ plus 55 to 70 pan on the back-up vocals or/80-90 pan with extra treble to bring them out, bass was very good and should be 30 to 40 on the pan. Thats my take on it. I enjoyed the song very much.

Think of it like a pie, bass -centered 30 to 40, with vocals just about centered 50+, drums a little wider 70 to 80 with room for back up vocals and lead and the rest 80+ on the pan side of things. You can slice the pie up anyway you want but this is the template I kinda follow and seems to work for me. I read in a recording magazine that running from between 70 and 80 on the drums and vocal at around 51 to 60 with bass between 30 to 40 would produce a good spectrum of sound. Seems to work for me.

PACO

That’s a nice technical mix… The tracks add up to some nice disco dance music from the early-to-mid '70’s… I don’t know if the lyrics would fit that time frame… Could be… Maby…

Bill…

Cheers, Pacco - thanks for listenin’. I think I can hear, in my mind’s ear, the mix that you describe. I’ll try to whirl one up.
As we speak, it’s having a tweak and I’m mixing-in two tracks of me daughter.

Quote: (Paco572 @ May 02 2010, 4:47 PM)

Think of it like a pie, bass -centered 30 to 40, with vocals just about centered 50+, drums a little wider 70 to 80 with room for back up vocals and lead and the rest 80+ on the pan side of things. You can slice the pie up anyway you want but this is the template I kinda follow and seems to work for me. I read in a recording magazine that running from between 70 and 80 on the drums and vocal at around 51 to 60 with bass between 30 to 40 would produce a good spectrum of sound. Seems to work for me.

Are you talking about pan percentages or the like? The vast, vast majority of pop/rock/country/modern anything recordings put the snare, vocals, bass, and kick dead center. Sure, perhaps pan overhead mics to ~70-80% right and left. So those numbers you are using are quite odd to me as I can't quite figure what you are referring to. You say "bass -centered 30 to 40" which in my mind are completely different. What is it? Centered or panned 30-40%? In any event, snare, kick, vocals, bass the majority of the time are dead center. Frankly, I can't think of much outside of some jazz, certain folk recordings, or classical that don't follow this pattern.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ May 03 2010, 6:25 PM)

Are you talking about pan percentages or the like? The vast, vast majority of pop/rock/country/modern anything recordings put the snare, vocals, bass, and kick dead center. Sure, perhaps pan overhead mics to ~70-80% right and left. So those numbers you are using are quite odd to me as I can't quite figure what you are referring to. You say "bass -centered 30 to 40" which in my mind are completely different. What is it? Centered or panned 30-40%? In any event, snare, kick, vocals, bass the majority of the time are dead center. Frankly, I can't think of much outside of some jazz, certain folk recordings, or classical that don't follow this pattern.

Yes pan percentages, when I have stereo tracks (2 tracks) which is what I use for example my drums are -70 left and +70 right. I think the confusion here is I use stereo tracks. So I Pan for separation with the idea of giving each instrument it's own location with bass more to center followed by vocals a little wider, then drums even wider, then guitars or keyboards on the outer edge. I do move these around a little but I do usually keep the bass near -30L/+30R and drums always near -70L +70R. I try not to allow pans to overlap each other too much as they will drown out each other. It might sound a little unorthodox but I've had no official recording training and the methodology I'm using is strictly from my own experience with n-Track. The idea for setting the pan for the drums for example, I read in a recording magazine and since then my drums are sounding OK to me.

PACO

Stereo bass? So you record separate bass tracks or what? Multi mic or? I am just missing the value in that except for certain special effects.

I feel quite happy that I’ve ‘centered’ the essence of the song and only used width
for the silly bits. I like to try to get it to sound ok in mono and on crap gear - so buried way down low is a sweeping 16/4 gloc and high freq copy of the bass and all that jazz.
I’ve been doodlin’ with it again over the weekend and I’ve tried to tweak in some of your advice - I’ll re-post it later if I get a chance.
Cheers guys.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ May 04 2010, 1:32 PM)

Stereo bass? So you record separate bass tracks or what? Multi mic or? I am just missing the value in that except for certain special effects.

Hi Bubba,

I use my line6 UX2 to record bass, it records 2 tracks at once in n-Track, L and R to make it stereo.

As a side note: I could just record Mono and then copy/insert the track then pan them to get some separation but there are some nice nuances produced when recording in stereo and other problems avoided like phasing caused by an exact copy of the track. Also the panning of the stereo tracks seems to be wider at +L/-R 100 when dealing with the stereo tracks where the mono tracks copied seen to have less depth with the same settings even if both mono tracks are converted to stereo tracks within n-Track.

PACO

Any better?
I’m sure it’ll sound boomy and sibilant voc’s.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9120408