You work three jobs?

Uniquely American, isn’t it?

Last Friday when promoting social security reform with 'regular' citizens in Omaha, Nebraska, President Bush walked into an awkward unscripted moment in which he stated that carrying three jobs at a time is 'uniquely American.'

While talking with audience participants, the president met Mary Mornin, a woman in her late fifties who told the president she was a divorced mother of three, including a 'mentally challenged' son.

The President comforted Mornin on the security of social security stating that 'the promises made will be kept by the government.'

But without prompting Mornin began to elaborate on her life circumstances.

Begin transcript:

MS. MORNIN: That's good, because I work three jobs and I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)

This guy is a PIECE OF CAKE!!!

Yeah, fruit cake!

Sure is a piece of somethin’

Not sure about cake though.

.-=/gp=-.

a piece of work, Get any sleep?

Somebody bitch slap him!

Well, perhaps not uniquely American, or at least, the attitude isn’t.

When Margret Thatcher was running for re-election, to show what “a caring person” she was she visited a group of homeless in London.

She saw one old lady who looked very unwell, and upon enquiring if she was OK, received the answer, “I haven’t eaten in three days”.

Thatcher leant forward and said firmly, “Force yourself dear, force yourself”.

Ali

It’s getting close to Income TaxTime in these parts… The talk is, and the Rule-of-Thumb is… You work for 6 months of the year to pay the Tax you own to the Government… The rest of the year you try to claim as much money,as you make, for yourself… But the Government is working twice as hard to try to increase what you owe them to 7 months of your yearly income… Well…

Bill…

Makes you wonder what in what world anyone would think that working 3 jobs is “fantastic” and worthy of applause…

More to the point, that someone would think that having to was ok.

Obviously the man is clueless, or heartless, or both.

And the funny thing is that these events are prepped, i.e., the people who come to it are picked. This was another one of those unscripted moments where we see how the man feels thinks.

Mr Soul

It’s something that regular folks often don’t understand - power and privilege of the extreme sort Bush enjoys tends to distort how one thinks about the world. I’ve seen several “regular” people move into positions of power, and watched their perceptions change. It is unnerving, actually.

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 17 2005,10:22)
I've seen several "regular" people move into positions of power, and watched their perceptions change. It is unnerving, actually.

Me too Tom. It is not only un-nerving, unfortunately it is human nature. Geez we are a sorry lot! :D

TG

Let’s see… For two years I worked my full time job, DJ’d every single Friday and Saturday night, and went to school part-time. I got myself out of debt, and actually created a savings account.

Either you’re motovated, or you’re not.

I’m curious as to what kind of hours this lady keeps, and what her three jobs are… I really don’t think she has three full-time jobs… Probably more like three 15-20 hour a week jobs, which puts her between 45-60 hours a week.

The fact that she has the drive to do what is necessary to try to better her situation instead of looking for a free ride from the government is a good thing. More power to her, and I sincerely hope that her hard work gets her where she wants to be. :)

Being motivated is not the issue. We think that’s what Bush wanted to say (but we don’t know for sure) but it isn’t the way it came out.

The ISSUE is that this poor woman has to work 3 jobs to make end’s meet. That s*cks IMO.

It’s going to be that way more & more in this country in the future.

Not defending Dub or anything…because you guys should know by now, I don’t like ANY of them politico’s. Are you absolutely sure this was not taken out of context? The media LOVE to do that you know. Anybody here actually witness the conversation? I dunno…I don’t think GW is THAT stupid. Maybe he IS? I dunno…

TG

TG - good guestion. First of all, the quote I used was taken from Drudge Report (need I say anymore). Secondly, I heard the actual footage on Air America. I do NOT think it was taken out of context.

It was just one of those unscripted moment’s that W. doesn’t handle very well. Surely, you’ve heard a few.

As I said, it’s beleived that these event’s are staged & the people who speak are picked in advance. The intent of this woman’s comments are something like, “I’ve worked hard in my life (3 jobs), and I don’t want my SS to be taken away”. But Bush blew because he’s an IDIOT!

Mr Soul

Quote (Mr Soul @ Feb. 17 2005,10:53)
It's going to be that way more & more in this country in the future.

HEY! I thought I was the only one with a crystal ball on here! :D

You should put "I think..." or "I feel like..." in front of that sentence. As written, you state it as a solid fact?

Really. How do you know this Mike? Had Kerry/Edwards won you'd be screaming "The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!" That's what you make me think with your comments on here. Maybe it's just me though........ even WITH my crystal ball, I've been wrong before! :)

FWIW, I think things will get worse before they get better as well. Just a hunch though.......

TG

I didn’t state it that way because it’s already begun IMO. If Kerry/Edwards had won, they might be able to stop it or slow it down but given the current trend, I worry about what kind of jobs my kid’s will find.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Feb. 17 2005,11:34)
I worry about what kind of jobs my kid's will find.

ugh.