Zoom 2 recorder or single condenser mic

recording fiddle track

Can I get a better recording sound using my Zoom 2 in stereo mode instead of using 1 single mic on my Yamaha MW12 mixer?
I have been recording in stereo mode with just the one mic.
Thanks for any tips

Dan

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 4:53 PM)

Can I get a better recording sound using my Zoom 2 in stereo mode instead of using 1 single mic on my Yamaha MW12 mixer?
I have been recording in stereo mode with just the one mic.
Thanks for any tips

Dan

it depends on what "mic" you are using one the Yamaha mixer.

Those built in Zoom 2 mics are pretty good and should work well for proximity, but if it was me I would also use another mic to capture room ambiance as well if I was recording a wind instrument or violin for example.

condensers seem to work better for me for the room ambiance tracks, while dynamics or ribbons tend to pick up instrument subtleties at closer ranges, then you mix the two together to get your placement in a room/mix.

dontcare :cool:
Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 17 2012, 5:12 PM)

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 4:53 PM)

Can I get a better recording sound using my Zoom 2 in stereo mode instead of using 1 single mic on my Yamaha MW12 mixer?
I have been recording in stereo mode with just the one mic.
Thanks for any tips

Dan

it depends on what "mic" you are using one the Yamaha mixer.

Those built in Zoom 2 mics are pretty good and should work well for proximity, but if it was me I would also use another mic to capture room ambiance as well if I was recording a wind instrument or violin for example.

condensers seem to work better for me for the room ambiance tracks, while dynamics or ribbons tend to pick up instrument subtleties at closer ranges, then you mix the two together to get your placement in a room/mix.

dontcare :cool:

my main recording is with the mixer and a Condenser mic C-1 behringer.
I do have another mic somewhere, I should dig it out and try to mix the 2 mics.
I'm just trying to get the best recording input from the fiddle or even my acoustic guitar.

Would it be best to record with 2 mono tracks this way? (fiddle and 2 mics)
Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 5:31 PM)

Would it be best to record with 2 mono tracks this way? (fiddle and 2 mics)

Why not. Gives you more control. What sound card/interface are you using?
Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 5:31 PM)

Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 17 2012, 5:12 PM)

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 4:53 PM)

Can I get a better recording sound using my Zoom 2 in stereo mode instead of using 1 single mic on my Yamaha MW12 mixer?
I have been recording in stereo mode with just the one mic.
Thanks for any tips

Dan

it depends on what "mic" you are using one the Yamaha mixer.

Those built in Zoom 2 mics are pretty good and should work well for proximity, but if it was me I would also use another mic to capture room ambiance as well if I was recording a wind instrument or violin for example.

condensers seem to work better for me for the room ambiance tracks, while dynamics or ribbons tend to pick up instrument subtleties at closer ranges, then you mix the two together to get your placement in a room/mix.

dontcare :cool:

my main recording is with the mixer and a Condenser mic C-1 behringer.
I do have another mic somewhere, I should dig it out and try to mix the 2 mics.
I'm just trying to get the best recording input from the fiddle or even my acoustic guitar.

Would it be best to record with 2 mono tracks this way? (fiddle and 2 mics)

in that case I would use the Zoom 2's stereo mic for close proximity to the instrument and the Behringer C-1 as the room mic to pick up the back end reflection of the room and fiddle.

Those Chinese made cone shaped Behringer condensors tend to pick up too much boom to be used for acoustic guitars (especially if you have them near the hole) which rattles their cheap inner components quite terribly causing all sorts of anomalies.
If you are forced to have to use one it might work well somewhere up the fret board (around 7th fret) and a dynamic or the zoom about 12 in out and a little up or down from the hole.

It's really not a set in stone procedure, even in the most high pro studios each mic and placement is tweaked for what is called a "sweet spot" where the qualities of the instruments and the mics are used to their full potential.

dontcare :cool:

Yup. Grab as many mic’s as you can, place them in all the sweet spots, buss them through your mixer to as many channels/tracks as your set-up will allow.

Quote: (TonyR @ Jan. 17 2012, 6:25 PM)

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 5:31 PM)

Would it be best to record with 2 mono tracks this way? (fiddle and 2 mics)

Why not. Gives you more control. What sound card/interface are you using?

I'm useing a Gateway DX4831-05-C i'm looking for the sound card info :)

The 2 mics i have now are the Behringer C-1 , atm41a Audio-Technica :cool: :p
I’m going to try a test run and see how this will sound :)

I have a 7.1 sound card, and i’m useing the USB port to the computer through a printer cable.

I had a longer printer cable riged up but I was getting a high pitch noise
so I’m back to this small Usb2.
Ihave so many wires in here now I forgot my song :(

I have the 2 mics hooked up and there ok ecept i cant get any output from either one if I pan all the way to the right

Doing some reading here I think I need to clone a track and then pan left and right Is this corect? :)

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 8:28 PM)

I have the 2 mics hooked up and there ok ecept i cant get any output from either one if I pan all the way to the right

when you say "output" do you mean monitoring output or recording input from them?

it depends on how your mixer is set up in Ntrack, click the little hammer on the Recording VU meter and check it out.

On mine (makie ONYX) I have 16 channels set in 8 stereo pairs, so if I want to say not record 3 or 5 I have to mute 2 and 3 in there.

There is another way to get there other than the hammer on the playback or rec, VU, Preferences>soundcard settings> select "I/O"

the simple solution is pan all the way left and record the mono tracks from both mics, :)

dontcare :cool:
Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 17 2012, 11:29 PM)

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 17 2012, 8:28 PM)

I have the 2 mics hooked up and there ok ecept i cant get any output from either one if I pan all the way to the right

when you say "output" do you mean monitoring output or recording input from them?

it depends on how your mixer is set up in Ntrack, click the little hammer on the Recording VU meter and check it out.

On mine (makie ONYX) I have 16 channels set in 8 stereo pairs, so if I want to say not record 3 or 5 I have to mute 2 and 3 in there.

There is another way to get there other than the hammer on the playback or rec, VU, Preferences>soundcard settings> select "I/O"

the simple solution is pan all the way left and record the mono tracks from both mics, :)

dontcare :cool:

Yes I have no output from the mixer to n track when i pan the mixer on my Yamaha hard right.

I have tried recording with the 2 mono tracks panned hard left from my mixer
And I still cant get it to give me that stereo effect I'm looking for.

Is it possible to have 1 mic playback through the left speaker and the other mic playback through the right speaker.

I hope I can get this, It will be a big step for me

Thanks for the help guys....I appreciate your patience

on the options on my mixer inteface (ONYX) inside Ntrack it gives me the option to record either paired mono tracks which is like (stereo) or single mono tracks.

Once a mono track is recorded you can always clone or copy it then take each track and pan them left and right for playback to simulate stereo, although true stereo is not the same sound coming out of both speakers but two different sounds coming out each.

So in that case panning the closer mic to the left and the room mic to the right would be closer to true stereo (although I would use two close proximity mics, one on the bridge around the 7th fret about 6 inches out and one closer to the hole but a little offset so the wind pressure doesn’t hit it) and a third mic for the room a few feet away.
Then I would pan the bridge mic hard left the hole mic hard right and the room mic dead center but lower in volume.


Another trick is to record the same guitar part twice, they will be slightly out of phase from one another and will make interesting harmonics, you can tweek the bass lower on one and the high on the other and mess with panning L R till hear something special. :agree:
for that technique your playing has to be spot on for both takes tho.

dontcare :cool:

Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 18 2012, 10:58 AM)

on the options on my mixer inteface (ONYX) inside Ntrack it gives me the option to record either paired mono tracks which is like (stereo) or single mono tracks.

Once a mono track is recorded you can always clone or copy it then take each track and pan them left and right for playback to simulate stereo, although true stereo is not the same sound coming out of both speakers but two different sounds coming out each.

So in that case panning the closer mic to the left and the room mic to the right would be closer to true stereo (although I would use two close proximity mics, one on the bridge around the 7th fret about 6 inches out and one closer to the hole but a little offset so the wind pressure doesn't hit it) and a third mic for the room a few feet away.
Then I would pan the bridge mic hard left the hole mic hard right and the room mic dead center but lower in volume.


Another trick is to record the same guitar part twice, they will be slightly out of phase from one another and will make interesting harmonics, you can tweek the bass lower on one and the high on the other and mess with panning L R till hear something special.
:agree:
for that technique your playing has to be spot on for both takes tho.

dontcare
:cool:

The problem that I have is N track wont pan left or right for me.

How do I get #1 mic to come through the left speaker and #2 mic come through the right speaker?

Thanks for your help
Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 18 2012, 11:11 AM)

The problem that I have is N track wont pan left or right for me.

How do I get #1 mic to come through the left speaker and #2 mic come through the right speaker?

Thanks for your help

Have you tried the little nob on the individual track mixers?

the one for panning?

they all work for me, are you trying to do live monitoring while you are recording?

if so your going to have to do some set up with the soundcard and Ntrack for that.
I'm heading up to the studio now, I will tootle around and see if I can't find where the path is on the tabs for ya, so check back in a bit.


dontcare :cool:
Quote: (dontcare @ Jan. 18 2012, 12:07 PM)

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 18 2012, 11:11 AM)

The problem that I have is N track wont pan left or right for me.

How do I get #1 mic to come through the left speaker and #2 mic come through the right speaker?

Thanks for your help

Have you tried the little nob on the individual track mixers?

the one for panning?

they all work for me, are you trying to do live monitoring while you are recording?

if so your going to have to do some set up with the soundcard and Ntrack for that.
I'm heading up to the studio now, I will tootle around and see if I can't find where the path is on the tabs for ya, so check back in a bit.


dontcare :cool:

I'm not doing live recording, I keeep the moiter speakers way low when recording.

I have been moveing the track pan sliders.

When I pan hard right with any mike on my Yamaha mixer the recording Vu meters don't move on N-Track. there just working when i pan left.

The way I see it is N track is not receiving the right pan from my mixer

Yee haa It’s Panning just fine now :laugh:
Once i made 2 tracks I was able to pan left and right,
What I was doing was try ing to pan with 2 mics on a single track :p
But I don’t think thats possible…Thanks for the help…I learning alot the last week or so :)

Daner

Just in case. In each channel strip in n-T, directly beneath the pan slider, is a toggle switch, for selecting stereo/mono+.