100 "greatest" artists of hard rock

I watched this 3 hour special on VH1 yesterday while flying back west. Anyone see it?
100 Best.

It wasn’t interesting the bands they included: Cream, Hendrix, Kinks, Neil Young, etc.

Alot of it I couldn’t stand but it was educational at best.

Hmmm… interesting. I can’t say I agree with the order of some of their picks though… I mean Van Halen over Pink Floyd??? I like Van Halen and all but sheesh…

TG

Pink Floyd shouldn’t even been in this list IMO. The whole thing is political IMO.

That’s why lists like this are BS. I agree with their choice to leave Neil Young off the list. I’m guessing you don’t. Lists like this are extremely subjective and are pretty much worthless IMO.

TG

No, no - NY is ON the list, as many others. They should have either broadened the category to Rock (or something), or narrowed the list (if Hard Rock).

Eh… musta missed Neil… you’re right though. The category should have been better defined or something.

TG

“Greatest” what?
record sales, influence, songwriting, musical talent…?????

Not sure who would classify Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin, The Pixies, The Black Crowes and even Cheap Trick as “Hard Rock”…

Just seeing Slayer, Smashing Pumpkins and Janis Joplin all next to each other kinda points to how meaningless this list seems to be.

Rich

Possibly the most nonsensical list I’ve ever seen! Rainbow at 90 and Korn at 53? Half the artists are nothing to do with Hard Rock, and who defines the difference between Hard Rock and Heavy metal? How on earth did they compile this!!

Ian

Musta been a slow week in ratings or something to compile a list of this sorts.

TG, Neil is there but with his band Crazy Horse.

Led Zep at no.1, what a surprise from mainstream TV. LOL

If you have ever watched any of VH-1’s shows of this type, you’ll find Zep and the Beatles are no.1 all the time. Tis just another brainwashing tool for our younger generations.

By the way, which one’s Pink?

Quote (YazMiester @ Aug. 14 2005,06:40)
Musta been a slow week in ratings or something to compile a list of this sorts.

TG, Neil is there but with his band Crazy Horse.

Led Zep at no.1, what a surprise from mainstream TV. LOL

If you have ever watched any of VH-1's shows of this type, you'll find Zep and the Beatles are no.1 all the time. Tis just another brainwashing tool for our younger generations.

By the way, which one's Pink?

DOH! I was not looking for Crazy Horse... well no matter. Neil never did much for me beyond Rockin' in the Free World.

Led Zep at No. 1. Judging from the radio play around here, that's probably accurate. I'd love to be getting their royalties!

TG

Actually my favorite Crazy Horse tunes were the earlier stuff.
Cortez the Killer, Hurricane, Cinnamon Girl, 70’s stuff.

Zep’s royalities, wowsers. Alot of money! Wonder who is reaping those bucks?
Zep’s members?
Peter Grant?
Atlantic?
Hmmm