21st Century Joplin?

You cannot be serious!

I watched an entertainment news program last nite that said, Britney Spears is being considered to play the part of Janis Joplin in a forthcoming movie…

Aha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!!!

No Way! This can’t be serious, if so, what a farce.

RRRGH! :angry:

Eyup!

Ok, how about Bruffie as Hendrix.

Just as credible :D

Steve

Fine selection with me. Brittany might actually sound better than Joplin… If I wanted a bag lady to scream in my ear, I’d go to a homeless shelter. (D amn, think that is the meanest thing I have ever said in a public forum.) Can you tell I am not a fan of Joplin’s work?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Fine selection with me. Brittany might actually sound better than Joplin… If I wanted a bag lady to scream in my ear, I’d go to a homeless shelter. (D amn, think that is the meanest thing I have ever said in a public forum.) Can you tell I am not a fan of Joplin’s work?

The trouble with dying young is the iconic status that comes with it. I for one do like Janis’s work and I think she had the “X factor”, but we never get to find out if she had the staying power or longevity. Like Jimi and so many others…

So we have Britney for Janis, Bruffie for Jimi… and… my addition is:

Bubba for Ozzie…

Next?
Quote (Bubbagump @ April 18 2006,11:26)
Fine selection with me. Brittany might actually sound better than Joplin... If I wanted a bag lady to scream in my ear, I'd go to a homeless shelter. (D amn, think that is the meanest thing I have ever said in a public forum.) Can you tell I am not a fan of Joplin's work?

I'm with you Bubba. In all fairness, I have not tried to endure hours of listening of JJ's work. I have listened to Joplin many times and really do not understand the attraction to her ability, except the rawness (is that a word?) of it. But if I ever decide that I like the sound of someone who spent their life gargling broken glass, I'll just listen to Tom Waits.

I prefer a good whiskey and listening to Wes Montgomery and his brothers. :)

Ah, where is your pagan soul? :)

I think they should let Joss Stone or Carol Burnett play the part.

Quote (phoo @ April 18 2006,18:09)
Carol Burnett

HAHAHA, isn't she like 80?!?

Well, Janis didn’t look or act too good (She was called The Pig of Port Arthur by a few acquaintances that didn’t like her too much - I’m sort of amazed that this wasn’t an easy find on the internet - I haven’t found it yet) so it only seems fitting to use and actor that can yell like Tarzan and be a bit over the hill at the same time. Joss Stone would need some HEAVY makeup. :)

Quote (Beefy Steve @ April 18 2006,18:09)
Eyup!

Ok, how about Bruffie as Hendrix.

Just as credible :D

Steve

Apart from the hair, the tall slim figure and the musical talent?

I'm your man!!

:p
Quote (Mark A @ April 18 2006,20:44)
So we have Britney for Janis, Bruffie for Jimi.... and... my addition is:

Bubba for Ozzie......

Next?

Well maybe Beefy for Neil Young? Oh no! he's a long haired aging hippie.....

But then again... so is Neil young.

:D :p :D

I can’t see this casting either, and I was a Joplin fan.

But then again, I couldn’t see casting Diana Ross as Billie Holliday either, but a lot of people really liked Lady Sings The Blues so who knows? Maybe it would work.

I did not like Ross as Holiday.

I didn’t think she captured the character at all but a lot of people really liked the film. I don’t think they were necessarily Billie Holiday fans so may not have been looking for an authentic portrayal, just a film they could enjoy. It could work the same with this casting - not intended as being ‘true to life’ just entertaining.

Like Gary Busey playing Buddy Holly.

Wasn’t Bette Midler’s film The Rose supposed to be based on Joplin?

Quote (BillClarke @ April 19 2006,15:15)
Wasn't Bette Midler's film The Rose supposed to be based on Joplin?

Well they had one thing in common,

(in my best screech, because of the tight spandex)

They had the fire down below!

Thanks for the thread guys it's been a hoot,

Keep shinin'

jerm :cool:

Melissa Etheridge would play a good Joplin, and the sex scenes would be purty good.

I would rather Charlize Theron played Janis…and then fantisize that Janis was better looking. :)

KingFish