2nd song

this is my second offering

After the great comments for the first song I rushed straight out to the shops and got me a better mic as promised. After reading so many good reviews I opted for the Studio Projects B1, a snip at 90 quid with a pop filter thrown in. Ive wasted no time in getting to work, Im very pleased how the sound of my acoustic guitar came out especially as it’s only taken a week from start to finish.

Ive learnt a hell of a lot about compressors whilst working with this song.

Performed and mixed by myself, thanks to my g/f for keeping my tea warm in the oven for the past week.

PS. Ive already got my next song ready to record, Its gonna be a much quieter acoustic song. I’d love to put some strings on it, can anybody point me in the right direction, cheaper the better, I dont earn that much, vienna is sooooooo expensive uffff. :D

song is called "cometh the day"

http://www.myspace.com/alanburnsonline

nice tune Alan! you’ve got a great ear. Love the over done kick! Great harmonies - I would like them up more but that’s me. Great imaging going into the 2nd verse!

:agree:

Strings are a tough need for me too. I usually combine my roland Strat synth with whatever midi vsti that seems to work for the tune.

Gulluuck!

:agree: I put the phones on at about 1.57 and thought; Yea! good feel and more cool vocals!
Lovin the BA kick. You've got an orchestra of instruments happenin there. Why don't cha brake it down a little. Organ, accustic, 2 more electrics? Pretty cool!

Very nice Alan. I like the over done kick as well, but maybe, to my ears, up the bass gtr just a bit to keep pace with it.

thanks guys

not sure about the bass drum anymore, I played the song thru my g/f cheap hifi and the bass drum made the speaker cones almost pop out of their small cabinets totally ruining the song. I tried the cd in the car and bass drum dominated too much for my taste. its a pitty cos its sounds well cool on my monitors and thru the headphones. I think im gonna take this back to n track and tame the bass drum a little.

May I suggest something here? I’ll wait…

feel free,

If everything else is ok as far as parts etc and it’s a final. Do it with compression at the low end. Do you know the basics of mastering? Try doing it with a final mix wav is what I’m suggesting. I always mix to wav then if I’m happy with it or want to change some slight frequency level I do it as a mixdown to mp3 with tools on the master channels.

Carry on.

I know what mastering is but only from what I have read… as far as knowing how to do it, it is something i havent tried yet. If I were to have this track sent away to be mastered would they sort out that problem? I have read about online mastering services (http://www.audiomaster.co.uk/
for an example) they state that any altering of the final stereo mixdown will make effictive mastering more difficult.

I only raise this point cos Ive been curious as to what a mastering agent could do to my mix, would it be as good as I keep reading and hearing about?

My brothers band recorded their demo at our local studio, they said that the mixdown sounded naff but when they sent it away for mastering it came back 100000000% better.

I guess I could have a go at it, especially as the track is only on the internet at the moment.

Yea - that’s why I was suggesting not changing the level of it by mixing a new one. You might ask someone here in the forum to run it through their own processes. I wouldn’t send this out to be mastered unless your seriously needing it for a CD project. Put it up for download and ask folks to work on it. I wouls volunteer Yaz but he gets all cranky this time of day and needs a nap bad.
You’re a talented n-Track user - don’t be shy to ask for a little help with it.

sound good poppa,

how do I go about putting it up for download? Do I need to keep it as a wav file or can I get away with mp3?

Hi Alfieralph / Alan / Fellow UK’er…

I’ve been away a while so have some serious catching up to do round here!!

Good solid sound there, and especially as it’s your second tune on n !

Try a soundclick page for downloads. Same kind of set up as myspace but the sound quality of soundclick pees all over myspace.
For tinkering with .wavs try mediafire.

Craig

Great tune dude! Loved it.
My only thing would be a re-mix before mastering and tame that kick drum. Sounds like a notch needed at 100hz to take a little boom out of it and maybe just a tick back in the mix. After you get your mix I would suggest trying mastering yourself. Feel free to ask questions here, most people will jump in and help with it.

Poppa, I already had my nap today thank you very much! :laugh:

thanks dude,

gonna try and sort somthin out now. N track is not good for your sleep, Im gonna pay for this in the morning :)

:laugh:
Sleep! We don't need no stinkin' sleep!

Sleep is for wimps :laugh:

Yup definitely fo…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i need lots of sleep, I seem to spend most of my life feeling tired especially the day after a gig. :heart-break:

Quote: (Yaz @ Jun. 23 2009, 4:37 PM)

Great tune dude! Loved it.
My only thing would be a re-mix before mastering and tame that kick drum. Sounds like a notch needed at 100hz to take a little boom out of it and maybe just a tick back in the mix. After you get your mix I would suggest trying mastering yourself. Feel free to ask questions here, most people will jump in and help with it.

Poppa, I already had my nap today thank you very much!
:laugh:

thanks for the comments dude, i defo agreeing with ya bout the kick. I had already started pulling the kick back but come out of n track after reading what poppa had posted. I didnt know what to think after folks had said they were diggin the OTT kick.

There’s a way to keep the level and still change th level,
I like it as is on my system though. Play with it and have fun!