8-channel A/D/A converter

can Ntrack handle 8 indipendent channel?

I have been recording for a while with n-track, which i think is great.

My question follows:
I have a sound audigy 2 card which supports Optical Audio I/O and I would like to purchase this A/D/A Converter. I am more than sure the sound card can record the 8 channels independtly but, can Ntrack record them independtly?
If so how do you set it up, and how does it look on Ntrack?
screen shots of the setup would be great!

Thanks! :)

I don’t know enough about this, but it looks like it wants to talk using ADAT technology. Even though the audigy can do optical, I’m not sure if it can do ADAT. Even if it could, I’m not shure how you would configure in it N, as the audigy will probably give you a single input in N.

I think you’ll do better with a multisoundcard in this instance.
There should be ones available with preamps as well.

my .2

Wihan

Btw - I might be totally off, as i know NOTHING about ADAT.

Edit : Also about N-track being able to record the seperate tracks, that is very easy. After you choose your multi input card as an audio device you’ll see that on the left VU meters (the input VU meters), there will be a whole lot more.

Then you just hit the hammer under each one, set up your options on each of 'em, and then click the recording button on or off under each one, and go. It’s really that simple.
I think the issue is going to be to get the behringer talking to your audigy.

Hi,
Wihan is correct n-track can record a number of simultaneous tracks depending on your audio interface, I have a Delta 1010 so I can record 8 tracks at a time.
To connect the Behringer ADA8000 you need a sound card with an adat input such as some of the RME models.I think the digital input on the Audigy is just stereo spdif and is not adat compatible.

Nick

<!–QuoteBegin>

I think the digital input on the Audigy is just stereo spdif and is not adat compatible.

From what I can gather from the sounblaster website that is what I found as well.

It doesn’t say anything about ADAT.

W.

Edit : Do you have a need for the preamps ?
The Delta1010LT is very good value for money, but it only has 2 of the 8 inputs that have a preamp in, and no phantom power.
You would be able to route your SBLive out to it via SPDIF so that you could effectively record 10 channels at the same time …

Nope … the optical input on the Audigy is TOSLink (optical S/PDIF) … it will not support the ADA8000 or any optical ADAT gear.
I suppose it may be possible that it would accept ADAT signal, but it would only show as two of the channels and likely it wouldn’t sync.
As others have said … yes, n-Track will support as many independent simultaneous inputs as your audio interface provides.

-Ken

Here is my logic for thinking that it can record up to 8 channels indepdently…

Ok the Audigy 2 is able to play 7.1 surround sound which is basicaly one subwoofer
and 7 seperate speakers. Just add 7+1=8. Since each speaker is independent of each other
Front left, Front right, Rear Left…etc, it is bassically 8 seperate channels going out. If it can decode 8 different channels, why wouldn’t it be able to record 8 channels?

Well, the number of outputs has got bugger all to do with the number of inputs.

But, the Audigy2ZS does record 8 external audio inputs simultaneously.

Line 1 (stereo), Line 2 (stereo), aux/CD (stereo), mic, and TAD.

However the last two are not really usable for music, but, if you’re handy with a soldering iron, you can get 8 good quality inputs.

But you also need to fool your soundcard into thinking it’s a Platinum Pro so that the correct software and drivers are loaded. (You do that by linking pins 25 and 35 on the AD ext connector).

But, the other way is via S/Pdif, and I’d advise you visit the KX project Forum for info on that.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But, the Audigy2ZS does record 8 external audio inputs simultaneously.

To seperate tracks? Always wanted to know this about the audigy2.

Whether it’s to separate tracks Willy, depends on the Asio driver and mixer software.

If you have a bog standard ZS2, then all you can get is an “analogue mix”, i.e. the eight channels merged into one stereo channel.

But, if you use the Platinum Pro driver, or the KX driver, or various other hacked drivers, you can have 8 separate mono channels. (Although, you need to cut into the board, or use the S/Pdif to get the whole 8, otherwise it’s only 6 usable really).

I pretty much stick with analog ins and outs so I don’t know that much about the optical I/O etc.

With the kX drivers and an Audigy 1 plus one of those audio I/O slot adaptors you get with computers that have an onboard sound chip, you can get 4 Mono inputs from the card. You have to do a minimum of soldering to connect the adaptor board into the AUX input on the Audigy.

Cross over to the kX side of the street

http://www.driverheaven.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67

You went and bought that ADA8000 already have you ?

W.
:D

<!–QuoteBegin>

But, if you use the Platinum Pro driver, or the KX driver, or various other hacked drivers, you can have 8 separate mono channels. (Although, you need to cut into the board, or use the S/Pdif to get the whole 8, otherwise it’s only 6 usable really)

While the whole buggerising around with drivers and soldering bits together appeals to me in the DIY sense, it’s far easier just to buy something dedicated to the putpose, IMO. Go get an EMU 1820m and stick yer adat into that. Stupid number of inputs then.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But, if you use the Platinum Pro driver, or the KX driver, or various other hacked drivers…

sceptic et al, by chance do you guys have a list of “hacked drivers”?.. the kx suite will not work for me, as my card is usb… there is another usb driver (usb-audio.com?), but it’s commercial… any links to help would be great!

thanks!
isaac
Quote (Wihan Stemmet @ July 15 2005,02:50)
You went and bought that ADA8000 already have you ?

W.
:D

actually i haven't got the a/d/a converter but im on the virge of getting one or may two. but if i have to get a ADAT card, im gona get a...

new motherboard w/ SATA II drives and 2 SATA hardrives probably 120gigs, a new processor, new ram, and a new case. basiccally a new computer, maybe a 64 bit proccessor

<!–QuoteBegin>

sceptic et al, by chance do you guys have a list of “hacked drivers”?..

Www.asio4all.com

Read the FAQ there about USB sound devices! I have never used a USB sound device so I don’t know how well ASIO4all would work with it.

<!–QuoteBegin>

sceptic et al, by chance do you guys have a list of “hacked drivers”?..

Who is Al? ???

If you meant “Ali”, then he and I are the same person.

In fact, if you include me, him, and my whisky bottle, then you have the real unholy trinity! :D

Anyway, although I’m often inter alia, I’m very seldom et al! LOL

The hacked drivers are the Creative ones, but as I’ve never used them, I can’t comment I’m afraid.

But search Driverheaven.net for the appropriate forum and relevant info.

How do you manage with USB? Is it fast enough for multiple tracks?

I only use USB now for my wee moose, I’ve abandoned it for my Midi controller/keyboard and use the standard Midi connection instead.

I think it was Learjeff who gave a link for a study of the timing accuracy of USB, and it wasn’t too impressive at all.

Anyway, sorry I can’t help more.

Ali

No, not me.

We used to hear bad things about USB audio all the time.

We don’t tend to hear it much lately. Maybe they got things worked out. Note that this is just idle speculation.