A new day in Tehran

I’m hoping the news from Tehran is good today.

I’m not sure Poppa. This guy in charge is a nut, unfortunately he’s a clever nut who knows all the right buttons to push. He plays the anti-american card very well and he plays the Israeli card very well. He knows they are the 2 most emotive subjects in Iran and uses them to the ultimate. To be honest, he doesn’t have the ultimate power in Iran but as long as the Ayatollah supports him he seems to survive. But the people are certainly not lying down on this yet, the unfortunate thing is they are very much risking thier lives to have thier say. I’ve worked with many Iranians out here, most of whom have been decent, well mannered, respectable people and I feel for them at the moment.

The only thing new I’ve heard in the last day or so is that the opposition leaders will be held responsible if the unrest doesn’t come to an immediate end.

Thinking we should sic Bruffie on the I’AA’Toll’LA’s, how dare they say we in the west are evil. Not nice!

i don’t think i’ve ever seen a word with four apostrophes before. i might be mistaken.

Certainly a more interesting way to spell Ayatollah
:laugh:

Ayatollah Yfyudunstopah Protestahnah Ayatollah Ayagonnah Shootyah

:laugh:
Phoo...I think you just summed up Iranian government policy!

Problem is...they're very close to here. One hour by plane, even shorter by missile!

That’s straight form the ‘Great Satan Spelling Book’ - very evil Levi.
I don’t care about nutty religions except when they are engaged in aquiring ‘nukes’ or ‘bios’ (lot of apostraphe’s here too). But with Iran and N. Korea and others it is nutty politics as well as nutty religion that warrents an intervention from outside to ensure that this does not happen. Also the sale of this technology and maufacturing capability must be curtailed as well. If you use a gun as a parallel - when a child or irresponsible person or fanatic gets hold of an Uzi, this is trouble for a community. Just think if nuke or bio tech is as available as assault weapons are now. But in the case of Iran, you would just be replacing nutty religion with nutty politics. The threat would still be the same. That’s why we should not intervene at this point. Plus are goal should not be to change their nutty politics or religion. It should be as the Isrealies suggest. Just take out their nuke and bio capabilities. Changing a culture should be a background process.

Levi the Apostrophized.

Seriously though - for those folks to defy the supreme leader not only of their nation but of their religion - speaks volumes to me of their desire for personal freedom.

It’s one thing to die for what you believe by strapping on a bomb and killing others, but to lay your life out their and be willing to die for others instead of killing others!? That gets my attention, big time.

Nutty politics? …I’ll accept that. Nutty religion? That’s too broad a brush…but hey, I’m British, Christian, work for an American company and live in a Muslim country. I’m not getting into that discussion
:)

I’m sorry - should have defined nutty religion.
Nutty religion - a religion whose adherents feel so threatened by anyone else as to call for their extermination.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 20 2009, 11:31 AM)

Levi the Apostrophized.

Seriously though - for those folks to defy the supreme leader not only of their nation but of their religion - speaks volumes to me of their desire for personal freedom.

It's one thing to die for what you believe by strapping on a bomb and killing others, but to lay your life out their and be willing to die for others instead of killing others!? That gets my attention, big time.

Yup! It takes a lot to stand up to the goverment and the religious leaders in Iran......good luck to the protestors, but it will hurt.
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Jun. 20 2009, 11:37 AM)

I'm sorry - should have defined nutty religion.
Nutty religion - a religion whose adherents feel so threatened by anyone else as to call for their extermination.

I've lived worked in a Muslim country for 11 years. Nobody called for my extermination yet. You have to distinguish between the minority fanatics(and you get them in all religions) and the people living there normal lives. There's not a lot of difference between the principles of the Quran and the Bible. Just the way people interpret them for thier own evil purposes.

Anyway, good luck to the people standing up to be counted in Iran. It would be nice to think they could make a difference, but I fear not.
Quote:

I've lived worked in a Muslim country for 11 years. Nobody called for my extermination yet.

Sorry - but aren't you the one who said you can't play in a bar becuase of the restrictions? Sure if you capitulate to a totalitarin regime and suppress your natural instincts to be free, then I guess you can't complain.

BTW The religious fanatics are running the country. Big difference

Nothing personal thuogh.
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 20 2009, 11:31 AM)

Levi the Apostrophized.

It's one thing to die for what you believe by strapping on a bomb and killing others, but to lay your life out their and be willing to die for others instead of killing others!? That gets my attention, big time.

It's an insparational spetical!
Brave people fighting for a few changes.
One change being to ban the stoning of women!
Lets hope so at the very very least!!!
Ya know I swear I thought I saw good'ole bubbagump over there throwin stones at the malisha!

England, Canada, Italy, Germany, Japan, Austrailia, Mexico, USA, Ireland, Scotland and on and on.
Countires that seem to get along wtih others and who I might add; DON'T STONE THEIR WOMEN!!!

Yea! “Everybody must get stoned.” Bob what’s his name…

Didn’t mean to sound obtuse. I support the Iranian people. They see the light. If they can shed the yoke of religious fanaticism, I believe they can achieve greatness beyond imagination. Most of the objectionable social policies have their roots in the religous traditions. Such as stoning women. I liked Obama’s reference to King’s ‘arc of justice’ swinging in their direction.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 20 2009, 8:06 PM)

Yea! "Everybody must get stoned." Bob what's his name....

Costas . . . .no . . . .

The Builder . . . no . . . .

Hmmmm, remember "The Lottery" ?