A song I mixed for my sons band...

This style ain’t my bag either but… he’s my boy. Just trying to help out.

D

The new Part 1 sounds A LOT better than the older pt 2, IMO. There may be a little too much energy in the kick but I ain’t gonna waste a disc on this to really find out unless you ask me to :D

I don’t get the music at all, though… ???

Well I can’t say I ‘get it’ myself… :D

Thanks for listening Terje. I value your input.

Regarding the kick… that’s the way they like it. BIG kick, loud snare… The dude that recorded the tracks did a shitty job on the kick. I had to process the snot out of it to get the sound my son wanted. In the end he was happy with it though. Now if he would just PAY me for my services… HA! :D

D

Whitewashed Tombs can be heard HERE

Let me know what you think. I approached this one a little differently. As some have noted, the others are pretty “smashed” to sound more “in your face” and loud. I HATE that sound so this one is a little different.

TG

Hahaha - I fell off after about 2 minutes :laugh: :D :laugh:
Drier sound than pt1 above from what little I could stand :)

Hmmm… what do you suggest Terje? I’m struggling with this. A guy over at Audiominds says Whitewashed is the best sounding one yet… Mix-wise of course… so some say Yay! and others say Poo! I’m confused… :(

D

I think this kind of music should sound produced, there’s nothing natural sounding in it, IMO, so your approach from pt1 above works best (from memory - I’m @ work & can’t double check)

Hey Diogenes,

I listened to your tracks (1&2), and here’s my thoughts (as someone young enough to actually enjoy it! :laugh:):

I think the problem you have with the bass is in the way bass guitar should be mixed in hard rock music. I understand that it is counter-intuitive, but the bass guitar should be thinner, and the guitars should be fuller on the low end than you would with other rock music, etc. This is because of the way hardrock music is composed. The guitar is designed to hold the bass of the chord as much or more than the bass itself. I am a bass guitarist at heart, so I hate to ever recommend cutting the 250 range on a bass, but really the bass in a hardrock song should hold the >100 range and some midrange for definition. It can hold a bit of the 250 range, but fill that range with more guitar than you would on a normal rock track. You may have to tweak the frequencies up or down to get the right range, but when you hit it, it will thicken up the guitar and keep it from sounding harsh. I’m not saying make it muddled, but give it more low-end presence than you’d think to. I also agree that the vocals could use some tweaking. They seem really thin, and the reverb was very wet for my taste. Some styles benefit from a very wet vocal track, but hardcore does not, IMO.

That’s my 2 cents worth. Anyway, the recording itself is very good, and I think you got good tracks to work with. I disagree with some, because I don’t think any re-recording is needed at all. The recordings are fine. Just need a bit more tweaking on the EQ. :)

-fish