Advice for recording Kids

Greetings all,

We will be recording 15 kids at our home on Saturday. We will lay some other tracks down with instruments and adult voices before they arrive. We will probably record the kids in groups of 5. Here is my main question:

My younger kids at home (5 & 8 years), have been around recording stuff enough that they can use headphones and sing no problem. I believe that I can get 6 headphones working. Some of you who have recorded kids before might be able to tell me if the headphone idea is likely to work for other kids in that age bracket who haven’t been around recording stuff much or is it just a losing battle.

I could rig up a couple speakers that they can listen to if I have to but would like to do the headphones unless it is utter lunacy to try it.

We have arranged for other people to come over and do activities and provide snacks for the kids when they aren’t recording so that part should be covered.

Any input on the kid / headphone question or any other aspect of recording kids that you would like to toss in here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

When trying to record my grandson I’ve noticed with the head phones on he has a tendacie to try and handle and eat the mic. Maybe keeping the music in the background where the kids hear themselves a little more may help. Just a thought.

Yaz:D

Recording kids is a riot, isn’t it?. Re: Yaz’ problem, Give them a mic to play with and then the real mic to record with, e.g. a LD condensor or two (for stereo on the groups of 5) set back from them a few feet, with a tape line on the floor that tells them where they need to stand. You’ve recorded kids before, you know that you’ll get only one or two shots probably, so rehearsal is key, and making sure that everything is set up redundantly if you can so that you get the recording in useful form the first time. Re: the headphones, they would probably work with the upper end of that age range in my experience, but not the lower, at least not without some prior coaching. Better to do the speaker thing and have them sing to that, and get mics with good patterns on them - e.g., not hyper cardioid (big lobe behind the mic) or omni. You also will have a guide vocal for them, if they are playing to prerecorded tracks? or someone to conduct them?

Good luck! :D

Hi Doug. I can tell what i do to record the kids for the xmas cd. I cant get enough headphones (the was very much ones), since i do this:
-I put two monitors 5 or 6 meters away with a melody line for guide them.(some instrument that later, if heared, dont bother the mix)
-I put uni-directional mics 1 meter away from the kids group (i split them in 3 groups of 7 kids)
-I record short parts (because they dont remember the lyrics, specially the little ones).
-Get someone to control the computer (maybe you)
-Put director in front of them with a headphone with a click track.
-Get help of someone that care about the intune issue.(the director will have enough work trying to get them in tempo, and the headphone can distract him about tune)
-Get help of adult people that care about childs that are not recording.
-Show them little portions of what they have recorded, and if necessary, show them Bad takes because they are not paying attention, they will understand why they need effort in concentrate. (be kindfull :;):
Well, my tips after do all this things in wrong way many times :D

Here is a little demo of the songs we record for XMAS

luck!

Duct tape… :;):

Wow, marce, those sound great! :)

Yeah, Marce great stuff, can you pop over on Saturday to help?

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I am going to print all these replies and talk stuff over with my wife.

Bubba, is the Duct tape for taping the kids into position?

Marce, did the sheep use headphones or just listen through speakers and were they well behaved in the house?

Doug

Marce, did the sheep use headphones or just listen through speakers and were they well behaved in the house?

:D :D
Quote (Doug W @ Jan. 26 2005,10:29)
Bubba, is the Duct tape for taping the kids into position?

It is the Handyman's Secret Weapon as we all know, so use it for whatever you need to.

For the next federal election (coming soon), I hope the Possum Lodge Party has Red Green run for Prime Minister. Then we can fix all our problems with duct tape…

Well, if they don’t find you handsome…

…They might as well find you handy!

Lovely child recording, been mulling over the idea of getting my 4 little squirts to do something for my wife’s birthday -or Valentine’s …or Mother’s day…etc, etc, etc.

Quote (vanclan @ Jan. 26 2005,11:42)
For the next federal election (coming soon), I hope the Possum Lodge Party has Red Green run for Prime Minister. Then we can fix all our problems with duct tape...

*raises hand* Uhh... I am a dumb, filthy american, therefore am ignorant of what goes on in the rest of the world. Therefore I don't get you joke. Sorry.

:;):
fish

This is all you need to know:

The "Man’s Prayer"

I’m a man… But I can change… if I have to… I guess…

http://www.redgreen.com/

Wow excellant ideas all, especially the duct tape.

Duct tape makes a great mute button for the wifey and her honey do projects!:D

S’ok, fish, I’m a dumb filthy American (uh, I mean Yankee) too…but I married a Canadian…don’t you get reruns of red green on your pbs channel? :)

PBS channel 25 at 11:00 and again at 11:30 Sunday nights in the Cleveland Ohio area. Too bad its on so late on a work night, I fall asleep and miss half of the shows.

"One of the best things about the Monday holidays, Staying up Sunday night for Red Green and the Possem Lodge boys!

-I like when he recycles crap.