Alesis Firewire multimix 8 ch mixer

Do the drivers work with N track?

If anyone is using a Alesis firewire mixer I would really like to know if the drivers work well with n track. I am running V 4 and do not need to introduce any instability. Just thinking that Using the mixer as a interface may simplify things for me.
USB interfaces seem to give me alot of grief and am wondering if firewire would be better with a laptop.

check at the Alesis website to see if it is compatable with the firewire chips in your laptop - “MANY” people have to buy an extra cardbus (PCMIA) card to get their firewire units to work -

what type of USB unit are you using, i use Roland and soundblaster units and never had a problem - but i am on V5 that may be the reason why the USB works so well -

Dr J

Thanks for the warning. I am running my pod xt with n tck right now. Here is the thing. I cannot get it to work with my brand spanking new Dell E1705(XP) but I have no problem with my 5 yr old dell Dim.(XP).( Asio driver error).
The 1705 has the new express card slot that no one makes any sound card to fit. I was going to go with the audigy Pcmia but can not.Thanks dell. So to make a long story short I am looking for a RELIABLE sound card for my laptop and I do not want to spend $500.
I thought the mixer fire wire looked interesting. I notice when it comes to driver incompatibility everyone points at the other guy. It is easier to find out from someone who is using it.

what version of windows is the new Dell using - if its XP Media Centre Edition then thats where the problem may lie with the Pod -

Dr J

Dr J,

Bingo ,it is the media center edition.My wife bought it for me and thought it would work well with anything music related. I am not a gamer so half of what the media edition has I won’t ever use. Any suggestions ?

Here is what I was doing. I have a small mixer that I had my drum Machine, pod , fed into. I would switch between feeding into my PC to record or going to a small amp.
Without a line in on the laptop I am trying to come up with a interface. I was not using the pod as a card before I got the laptop. Since I did not have a interface I dL gearbox and started fooling around. I tried a toneport UX2 but like the pod better and do not need both.
Compared to alot of you on this forum what I do is pretty neanderthal. Stability is all I am looking for.

Windows XP Media Centre edition is a SUBSET of windows XP (its not all there) - it is just a glorified version of Windows Media Player - two answers -

!.. diss it -
2… install a full version of XP in dual boot mode - so you can keep the one your wife bought for you and run the full version for tracking -

i am afriad that DELL is not my favourite fruit (neither is Apple for that matter)

Firewire is not sorted yet (and may not be untill there are only one make of chips available) at home i use USB units Roland and Audigy - in the studio i use ADAT optical all of which may be called old hat, but they work and work on any PC without problems -

i have a few guitars and effects units around the studio but i am not a guitarist myself (fingers are to old and slow) so on POD problems my knowledge is limited (very) -

even using a DI box to get the audio into the Dell is not the real answer because the Mic in on laptops pick up so much computer chatter that prevents you from making anywhere near a good quality recording - record a track with no actusl input then play it back at a decent volume you should hear then how much MUCK is being added to your tracks - you still get a small amount picked up through the USB but is is very very little compared to what your laptop will pickup -

i have a soundblaster Audigy NX2 USB and its not bad at all - has only one sample rate of 48000hz and will mash up a recording if N is not set to match but apart from that its great (oh and no ASIO but WDM is OK) its not the cheapest on the market but thats the way to be thinking if there is no alternative to using the Dell, Edirol make good USB units as well - but i still would not trust any to be stable on XP-MCE -

Dr J

Dr. j,

Thanks for the insight. And dell makes us Dumb A _ _ _ S
think they are getting something better with the special edition ! Talk about buyer beware.
The duel boot idea sounds feasable. I will confer with my Guru at work. I am not a good if you did not notice.I like to keep it simple but that does not always work.
I have access to the full version so maybe I will try that.
Thanks again.

Hi 291dw. I have an Alesis MultiMix Firewire 12 which works fine with n-Track and with the other three DAW programmes I sometimes use. I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 Centrino Duo with 1MB RAM and 7200 rpm hard disk. It has Media Center but I don’t use this, just the standard XP Home SP2. I use an external USB2 hard disk for samples and recorded files.

I had a lot of trouble when I first tried to use the MultiMix. I eventually found a solution through someone in a Cakewalk forum. The switch-on sequence described in the Alesis manual was wrong. It should be - switch on PC; switch on/connect MultiMix; launch DAW software.

I’m happy with my set-up, I hope you like your MultiMix.
Cheers
TB

Tuster Buster,
Thanks for the info.Have not made the jump yet.I am checking out the yamaha MW series usb also. Looking for a simple , stable setup is all.

Just a warning about PCMCIA slots. The chipsets they are using on some of the new machines do Not run audio cards properly. My Lenovo has a PCMCIA slot and the dirfers are just listed as Microsoft generic. The chipset is probably an ENE because the Echoaudio techs were able to direct me to a fix on their web site. www.echoaudio.com Drivers > Other.
After three days and nights on the phone with the IBM.Lenovo techs the Echo Tech know what the probelm was right away. Aonother hint: follow the instructins to load the fix , but it may not work with most of your sound softare until you reinstall. Ntrack 3.3 worked right away. Sound Forge 8 I had to re-install.
I thini the wave sort of thing is happening with firewire ports, but the fact that the laptop companies are moving to the Express card slot makes it even more "interesting."
Bax

Just a warning about PCMCIA slots. The chipsets they are using on some of the new machines do Not run audio cards properly. My Lenovo has a PCMCIA slot and the dirfers are just listed as Microsoft generic. The chipset is probably an ENE because the Echoaudio techs were able to direct me to a fix on their web site. www.echoaudio.com Drivers > Other.
After three days and nights on the phone with the IBM.Lenovo techs the Echo Tech know what the probelm was right away. Aonother hint: follow the instructins to load the fix , but it may not work with most of your sound softare until you reinstall. Ntrack 3.3 worked right away. Sound Forge 8 I had to re-install.
I thini the wave sort of thing is happening with firewire ports, but the fact that the laptop companies are moving to the Express card slot makes it even more "interesting."
Bax

Remember that most USB interfaces can manage two in and two out. But the Firewire MultiMix records EVERY channel individually PLUS the stereo mix, and it gives two channels out for monitoring. This doesn’t help everybody, of course, but if you’re recording a live event or maybe using two or three external MIDI modules then it’s great to have all those inputs.

One little downside - if you’re using MIDI then you’ll need a separate MIDI interface, while many other offerings combine audio and MIDI I/O in the one box.

Cheers
TB

Why do I get the feeling that anything I buy may or may not work. Checked out the presonus firebox today.Doesnt have a driver DL. Plug and play? Getting confused here.
Guitar Center Dudes turned their noses up at the mention of N track and told me all my problems were due to using a low end rec software.
One thing that surprised me is that the Creative sound blaster
HD integral SC cannot be disabled in my inspiron E 1705 so I am wondering if I will have problems no matter what.

All the input is very much appreciated.

It probably does Not have a driver: that is the idea of Plug-and-play. As my experience (and others I am sure) has shown, Plug and play is still not the perfect thing BIll Gaes said. What can be confirmed is the principle of Designed Obsolence.
If they will not sell it with a guarentee that is wil work - don’t buy from them! No one can be sure what is going to work on a modern computer.