Another critque please

Got another one to be critqued.
I think the solo guitar tone is iffy??
Pretty much the same set up as the last song. Same guys, same instruments etc.
Thanks
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15586214/WhiteBlack_11_26_10.mp3

Hi rockin4themaster:

A boost at some 2.5 - 3 KHz. (the sizzle point) wouldn’t hurt…
Bubbagump might be able to put his finger at the right frequency…

Those Beds are great…
:agree:
:agree:

Bill…

Thanks Bill!

Bill

Digging the synth. The low end definition could use work as you are missing sime low lows and are overdone in the low mids (300hz) again. Rockit5s biting you likely. Better center image than the last one though the vox could use more focus IMO. Also, don’t be afraid of the high end and some of the presence frequencies (2-6k or so as Wox said) as the mix is dull. Here a 3 oct width boost at 2k helps a lot. Get your high mids from your guitars. However, the synth at the end has this hiss at 14.5k that is pretty rough to listen to. Get your highs from your drum overheads if you can.
Do you perhaps have tinnitus, have high blood pressure, or take ADD meds? High blood pressure can make the high mids seem unusually harsh as can tinnitus.

The guitar solo is FANTASTIC, can’t see how you’d say it’s iffy. The vocals are strongly reminiscent of Geddy Lee of Rush or perhaps the group Yes. I can see where some EQ might help to make each section of the song stand out MORE, but I cannot hear anything that needs to be changed. You have an outstanding track here, just mix it to put the highlights more into people’s faces, lol!

-Danny

Bubbagump
I am set up in the furnace room in my basement. That may contribute to the mixing woes. It has block walls and is only 6 feet deep and 12 feet wide.

----------------------------
/

0 /
/

X
/

/

/
/

/
----------------------------

“O” Are my monitors and “X” is where I sit.
No medical issues.

dannyraymilligan
Thnaks. Actually I meant the eq on the solo guitar.
I’m having issues with hearing what eq to adjust, both while mixing and master.

Start here:

http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Man thats pretty cool.

Is it all recorded and mixed in N?
Craig

Bubbagump thanks for the info!

spreadercraig
Just mixed in n-Track.
thanks

rockin4themaster! That is solid. A real track under a good song. I like it as it is.

Thanks TonyR

Here is another mix. Is this better?
The keys player did this mix. I think he did better than me.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15586214/WWTB%20HDA%20TEST%20MIX.mp3

Wow.

Quote: (rockin4themaster @ Dec. 04 2010, 6:49 PM)

Thanks TonyR

Here is another mix. Is this better?
The keys player did this mix. I think he did better than me.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15586214/WWTB%20HDA%20TEST%20MIX.mp3

I would say you can still add some ~2k sizzle and high end. The mix is still dull, but the low end is much more in order. The vocals are buried here too. However, this mix is absolutely smashed on the two bus and I am sure you are losing a lot because of that. Even the "quiet parts" are at like -7dbRMS which is stupidly loud even for total satan tear your face off music.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Dec. 04 2010, 12:51 PM)

Hi Gents:

Lots of "Room Listening Reading", in that link, Bubbagump..
Thanks for the link..
It goes on-and-on into other links that is necessary to construct a good listening environment..

You must spend much time in your basement tracking and mixing room to come up with your finished mixes and all..
That stuff is sounding pretty good on my Altec monitors..
You've got the audio spectrum nailed if everyone is hearing what your mixes are doing..

Bill..

Tom and Bill
Thanks again!

Bubbagump
I’ll pass that info to the keys player that mixed this one. Thanks so much for your time!!
BTW…

Quote:

stupidly loud even for total satan tear your face off music.

That is a compliment to a guitar player!!! :laugh:
Quote: (rockin4themaster @ Dec. 05 2010, 5:50 AM)

That is a compliment to a guitar player!!! :laugh:

This drummer says: Guitar players are dumb.

:D

Why are drummers always the guys who own the recording equipment?

They’re the only guys on the stage that don’t blow there money on foolish Non-Audio related toys…
:)
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

I’m sure I heard your keyboard player’s updated mix… However, the latest mix link appears broken… sigh…

Sorry Bill. I took it out of my drop box due to a bunch of seps I had for someone to mix another song.
It’s back in now.
thanks
Bill