I haven’t posted in a while. I’ve been really busy getting a new group together.
Well, the old sync problem has reared its ugly head.
I recorded my band on N using a Dell Studio laptop (Intel dual core, Vista 64,4 megs memory) and a PreSonus Firestudio Project onto an eSATA external hard drive. I recorded 4 sets (one was one hour and the other 3 are 45 minutes each)- 8 tracks of audio and starting a new .sng file for each set.
The next day I plugged the external drive and the Firestudio into my studio XP desktop and opened the .sng file for set 1. When I started mixing the recordings, I was happy to hear that the tracks stayed in sync as I played the first set through.
However, as soon as I stop or pause playback and move the cursor to a new position, everything falls apart, with some tracks staying in sync and some falling behind. the same thing happens if I use the laptop to mix.
Both computers have the latest build.
The desktop is 32 bit, and the laptop is 64 bit.
I have increased the buffer settings on the Firstudio, and tried both settings in N for timing (use system timer yes or no).
The kicker is, I imported the wave files into Cubase 4 LE and PreSonus Studio 1 Artist, and there is NO sync problem there, so my tracks are evidently recorded OK. I tried mixing them in Cubase, but I couldn’t get the effects automation to work properly, and I’m not fond the workflow in that DAW.
I was able to mix the set in sections by splitting all of the tracks into invidual songs and then importing them into new, shorter .sng files, but that is a PITA.
N-track is the only one of the 3 DAW’s that shows this sync problem.
My goal is to mix while playing back the set,or by using automation to vary balances, effects, etc.
I am using only two effects in the master channel, reverb and echo, both N’s native plug ins.
Thanks in advance for any help. This is most frustrating.
Sounds like something that Flavio needs to check for you. the clock setting that you have been experimenting with is the only thing I can think of that could cause this problem.
However, as soon as I stop or pause playback and move the cursor to a new position, everything falls apart, with some tracks staying in sync and some falling behind. the same thing happens if I use the laptop to mix. Both computers have the latest build. The desktop is 32 bit, and the laptop is 64 bit.
Not sure if this will help at all, but before doing anything, including loading any .sng files, click on the song speed icon (up at the top row of icons) and set it to default. I've seen in the past when opening a .sng file that was done with another build or another system, the song speed sometimes won't remain at default resulting in sync issues. I saw that just resetting the song speed icon to default and then working on the projects, loading.sng files and recording seemed to fix the issue.
I’ll check that out tonight. I did look at the song speed setting while trying to figure this thing out, but that was after I had loaded the .sng file. It was on 1x. I’ll try re-setting the speed to default before loading the .sng file as you suggest.