Audigy 2 + ASIO: distortion

hey all,

I’m having some problems with my Auidigy 2 ZX PCMCIA sound card with Ntrack4.0 and ASIO.

I bought the card to be able to record on the fly @ 24khz and use the ASIO drivers to obtain a [to the ear] nearly latency free LIVE setup.

My problem is, when I use the LIVE settings the sound is incredibly distorted and poppy unless I set the latency to 50 or higher in the ASIO control panel.

I have all the latest drivers, plenty of CPU and RAM at my disposal, and everything else works fine except i can’t get the LIVE latency small enough for it to be at all practical.

I tried out all of the other device options, they’re too laggy or don’t utilize the 24khz, and I’ve done all the general n-track maintenance such as reinstall, etc.

any suggestions?

does the PCMCIA bus run at a different speed than PCI? It doesnt seem like anyone has problems with 2ms ASIO latency using a PCI Audigy 2

Hi, I’m no expert at this stuff, I have a audigy platinum pro going into xp. I’ve found it’s hard work to get asio going properly, in fact n-tracks says it has issues loading the asio
driver or something, it does load into live 4, and reason but…

My option which does work well is to use the wdm driver
which also allows for seemingly insignificant latency. IE as good as asio.

Another possible answer is to try the ASIO4ALL driver.
http://michael.tippach.bei.t-online.de/asio4all/

Another tip would be to increase your buffering from low to medium or something like that, generally play around and find out what you can get away with and then decide if it still ain’t good enough.

Maybe this helps or not I dunno.

regards

I have a platinum pro and have no problem at all with the creative ASIO drivers. (On WinME). Couple of things:

1) The Audigy ASIO drivers will allow multichannel recording (all 3 stereo analogue inputs simultaneously on the breakout if you want). The WDM driver is stereo only.

2) You shouldn’t have to use the live button unless you are live monitoring plug-ins or softsynths. Using the creative mixer you have direct monitoring in hardware - switch the appropriate inputs on in the mixer.

3) You also have hardware DSP effects that can be monitored at zero latency.

Read the ASIO section in the “music creation guide” which you have probably got on the installation CD.

Maaszy

Quote (maaszy @ Jan. 28 2005,11:42)
I have a platinum pro and have no problem at all with the creative ASIO drivers. (On WinME). Couple of things:

1) The Audigy ASIO drivers will allow multichannel recording (all 3 stereo analogue inputs simultaneously on the breakout if you want). The WDM driver is stereo *only*.

2) You shouldn't have to use the live button unless you are live monitoring plug-ins or softsynths. Using the creative mixer you have direct monitoring in hardware - switch the appropriate inputs on in the mixer.

3) You also have hardware DSP effects that can be monitored at zero latency.

Read the ASIO section in the "music creation guide" which you have probably got on the installation CD.

Maaszy

question for ya masszy:

did you mean I can use a "live" type feature using my creative software? with DSP effects to?

a live function is very crucial to me, as with my limited hardware i like to be able to tweak, tweak, tweak and play around AS i play rather than on a pre-recorded track

Quote (nergle @ Jan. 28 2005,17:34)
Blaze, visit the KX Project site and forum, and discover the wonders of the Audigy and the hardware DSP contained therein. Zero latency FX for live work are yours to command! :)

But, their 96/24 Asio driver ain't fully functional yet, but they're getting there.

Ali

i had tried that a while back, but after i installed them my computer got reaaaally slow and n-track would crash every time i clicked anything. i deleted and reinstalled both n-track and kx drivers, but nothing seemed to work. n-track crashes on me enough anyways :p

i'm definately enthused about getting this zero-latency stuff to work however. i'm wondering if n-track happens to not be the right software for me at this point in time. hopefully everythign works out soon!

did you mean I can use a "live" type feature using my creative software? with DSP effects to

yes

from the manual

latency and monitoring

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 gets around the latency problem (the causes of which are investigated earlier in this book) very elegantly by providing thru monitoring on the card itself, which can be controlled via the Asio 2 drivers, so that, when you’re recording, the input signal is fed directly to the card output with no delay. This precludes the need to monitor the input via any plug-in effects when recording, but it is still possible to route via the hardware EAX effects on the card, if required.

Using the appropriate asio channels you can route the signal through the hardware effects engine on the audigy card for zero latency effects.

i got a D in audigy class :D

i’m having a rough time figuring out how to get the monitoring to go through DSP effects before it plays.

i also could find no mention of anything useful in the manual other than “use asio 2.0 drivers for low latency.” were these auto installed with the CD’s?

also, if i use any device other than the audigy2 24/96 asio in the the input device for ntrack, the program freezes. as in locks up my whole system mouse included.

any further suggestions?

Analogue input is just one fader on your mixer

This is just plain wrong. I use audigy and *always* have 3 x stereo channels showing as inputs.

You cannot control separate Asio sources

This is wrong as well. You can select asio sources from a selection of analogue, digital and virtual inputs. Depending on the bit depth you can use less or more simultaneously. At 24bit you are restricted to just all the analogues (6 channels). At 16bit you can use up to 20 channels of asio inputs, some or all simultaneously. Many of these are virtual and sourced from the on board DSP effects.

Rewire appears "somewhere" and you have no control over it.........

............o/p from a VSTi ditto

AFAIK there is no rewire support in audigy (why should there be - its not an ap). However, VST plugins can route output to any asio channel you desire.

The creative software is basically designed for idiots.

OK, I'll, change that, game players

I'll accept the game players bit, but you have to be anything but an idiot to get under the hood.

The audigy bears more than a passing resemblance to the respected EMU cards. Consider:

The EMU driver is multichannel ASIO but only 2 channel WDM
The Audigy driver is multichannel ASIO but only 2 channel WDM

The EMU installtion instructions identify a problem with the EMU driver locating an Audigy card if it is installed.......

i'm having a rough time figuring out how to get the monitoring to go through DSP effects before it plays

This isn't obvious from the main help or instruction manual. You have to refer to the "music production guide" you should have somewhere. This describes which asio channels you have to use as inputs and outputs to route the signal thru' the onboard effects. Note that this guide refers to the EX version and the later platinum pro has 2 more channels, so the ASIO channel numbering takes a little adjustment.

EDIT. I'm wondering if the best bits of the audigy are not presented unless you have the platinum pro version with the breakout box. I am presuming the ASIO driver/channel/DSP functions are similar on all versions, but you obviously have less physical inputs with some versions /EDIT

coolness, i’ll have to dig around to find that other manual

btw, my card is an audigy 2 zx pcmcia for laptop

i tried those KX drivers but ntrack had nothing in the input devices after wards other than the direct sound inputs