Beginner

On the 11th day of christmas a new card came to me, twas same type, put it in the slot, it meeeeelted agaaaaain. I put it on the other, PCI-I-I slot, pooteeeeer crashed!

So I took it out and tried the 1st card I got (which was the wrong sort I wanted) in the 2nd PCI slot and it works ok is in Pc now and has not crashed, so it’s I guess its not the PCI slot on my MB causing the problem.

I really should have put the new card in the 2nd PCI slot and without the live drive plugged in in the 1st place to know for sure but I didn’t, so my only guess now is that it has something to do with being plugged into the live drive, the IDE cable fits on both ways i.e. flipped 180 degrees, is there a wrong way to put it on which is causing this or is the live drive doing it?

…anyway merry Christmas

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 24 2009, 8:15 AM)

On the 11th day of christmas a new card came to me, twas same type, put it in the slot, it meeeeelted agaaaaain. I put it on the other, PCI-I-I slot, pooteeeeer crashed!

So I took it out and tried the 1st card I got (which was the wrong sort I wanted) in the 2nd PCI slot and it works ok is in Pc now and has not crashed, so it's I guess its not the PCI slot on my MB causing the problem.

I really should have put the new card in the 2nd PCI slot and without the live drive plugged in in the 1st place to know for sure but I didn't, so my only guess now is that it has something to do with being plugged into the live drive, the IDE cable fits on both ways i.e. flipped 180 degrees, is there a wrong way to put it on which is causing this or is the live drive doing it?

...anyway merry Christmas

I think you don't need the IDE cable attached to it, unless your wanting to hookup a CD rom drive to it, but I don't think you'll need to hookup the IDE cable to the sound card. If you require attaching to the IDE port on the card, yes you can hook this up wrong, Most new IDE hookups these days have a notch so you can't hook it up wrong, however if this notch is not there then the red wire from the IDE cable goes to pin 1 on the sound card which will be marked on the sound card IDE port as 1 on one end of the IDE port. It will be small to read but the number will be there indicating which side pin 1 is on.

With that aside, if you have sound you can now install "ASIO4ALL" drivers. They can be found here:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Install these drivers, then when you go into n-track preferences audio device, you'll see the ASIO4ALL drivers, select them from the list for both input and output.

In your windows audio (Playback and recording sections are separate windows**), setup the audio so your sound card is the default audio card and then select "line in" is your record** input. "wave" for playback** should not be muted, and also in the playback** section "line/aux" is not muted and volume slider is up (So you can hear your guitar). You should now be able to plug your guitar into the line in on the back of the sound card and hear your guitar though your speakers. See Pic

Hopes this helps,
PACO

Thanks for telling me, so having the IDE the wrong way round can cause this? gee I might have to get a 3rd, bummer. Theres no indication on the card as to which way round it goes but at least now “Some idiot kept putting the IDE the wrong way round” won’t come after “Out of stock” on retailers displays. I’m pretty sure the live drive connects to the soundcard with IDE. Anyway I am left with a functioning K4562, I guess with a something like the UX2 I wouldn’t have to worry about any of the live drive / IDE stuff. My N-track trial has expired and I haven’t got to use it yet, I downloaded the ASIO4all but will sort the rest out later.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 24 2009, 4:35 PM)

I guess with a something like the UX2 I wouldn't have to worry about any of the live drive / IDE stuff.

Yup you won't have to worry, it functions as a USB sound card. So you can also hear anything in windows as well. There's add-on packs to expand it as well, and tech support is very good. I'm very happy with mine.

There should be a 1 on that sound card near the IDE port, might even be on the backside of the card. Might even be a different number indicating the other end.

PACO

Yeh I see the 1 now, its pointing with a little arrow to a pin on the right of the IDE pins if looking at the card with the rear sockets facing away.
The UX2 doesn’t seem too pricy, I thought it was just the live drive it would bypass
http://users.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~iain/images/LiveDriveIR.jpg so with the UX2 you wouldn’t even need a sound card?
Will be very usefull if I get all this set up for making tracks for my music students like the part of duets I play when they are in a lesson. By the way is there any of your work I could check out? Thanks again Paco, I hope you are having a good Christmas day.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 25 2009, 7:03 AM)

Yeh I see the 1 now, its pointing with a little arrow to a pin on the right of the IDE pins if looking at the card with the rear sockets facing away. The UX2 doesn't seem too pricy, I thought it was just the live drive it would bypass http://users.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~iain/images/LiveDriveIR.jpg so with the UX2 you wouldn't even need a sound card? Will be very usefull if I get all this set up for making tracks for my music students like the part of duets I play when they are in a lesson. By the way is there any of your work I could check out? Thanks again Paco, I hope you are having a good Christmas day.

I would suggest you keep your sound card, the UX2 can double as a second sound card. This combination will allow you to run stand alone VST's and record in n-track at the same time.

Yes my latest album is online. You can play the songs here.

I'm The George Stanley Band.

I'm the only guy in the band. I play all instruments and sing.

http://www.motagator.net/bands/972/info.php

PACO

Thanks for the tracks the mixes sound clean (if thats the term?). So running stand alone VST while recording in N-track at the same time, is that recording dry while hearing wet that you mentioned earlier? I’ll get hold of a UX2 sometime and sort out N-track.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 27 2009, 12:38 PM)

Thanks for the tracks the mixes sound clean (if thats the term?).
So running stand alone VST while recording in N-track at the same time, is that recording dry while hearing wet that you mentioned earlier?
I'll get hold of a UX2 sometime and sort out N-track.

Yes, in most cases the recording will be WET. However, programs like Guitar Rig 3/4, which is also a standalone, it records DRY but you hear WET while you record, applying WET afterwards in n-track as a Guitar Rig VST with the option to change the WET sound to something else if you didn't like the sounds it made you heard WET during recording. Guitar Rig 3/4 is a standalone application and a VST plugin.

PACO

I got the UX2, installed the hardware drivers from the POD CD, plugged into PC via USB, can hear signal with headphones into UX2 although not through computer (my PC is connected to an amp and speakers) tried out different amps sounds on the POD farm. So far so good.

Sorry Arpeggio I didn’t have time to read this entire thread. If you amp has a headphone send you can get a decent sound through that.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Jan. 01 2010, 5:55 PM)

I got the UX2, installed the hardware drivers from the POD CD, plugged into PC via USB, can hear signal with headphones into UX2 although not through computer (my PC is connected to an amp and speakers) tried out different amps sounds on the POD farm. So far so good.

You should know, in order to hear audio (from the UX2 series) from Line6 through speakers you'll need a speaker/monitor setup that supports digital/coaxial inputs like this unit.

http://www.axemusic.com/product...._ID=295

Your UX2 has a digital out. (coaxial cable required) I have this unit and it's fairly cheap. Or you can use the monitor outputs on the back of UX2 to connect to them to an analog monitor on your studio monitors.

Go digital, less hassle better sound and I haven't tested the analog monitor outs so I can't say for sure you get wet or dry audio from them or whether or not you'll hear audio from n-track, but I do know the digital works excellent and you'll hear everything.

OR you can use the Logitech Z5500 sound system for the PC $350.00 This unit has a Digital input on the volume control unit, so all you have to do it plug it in (the UX2) and hear the audio, same thing as above but more expensive with the added bonus to double as your computer sound system, which is what I have.

PACO

If I can get away with just using headphones (via the UX2) for time being until I learn more? I haven’t had much time recently but intend to work at getting to grips with this soon, just activated N-track will try and sort it out if I get stuck I’ll ask. I guess it might be like music theory, at 1st hardly any makes sense, lots of different information that has no context other than to itself but eventually you see how things relate to each other which makes it easier to understand :) . At the moment I think I’m in the “just starting to look at lots of information” stage!

regards,

I had POD farm and N track running at the same time, set N-track audio device there was no signal with the ASIO4all but “1-ASIO UX2” worked initially, I got what looked like a fairly clean signal on the recording vu meter at the bottom left (often the bars are lingering half way up when not playing) I recording some guitar doodling which played back ok (although it was split into different tracks one of which was twice as fast and high in pitch I’ll worry about that later). Now it says “Error initilizing ASIO driver” and asks that the sampling frequency and output format are supported by the sound card which I’m sure they are with a UX2.

Left it alone and came back it works now, tried it with the Rode M3 mike to my acoustic, sounds alright so far.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Jan. 05 2010, 7:17 AM)

I had POD farm and N track running at the same time, set N-track audio device there was no signal with the ASIO4all but "1-ASIO UX2" worked initially, I got what looked like a fairly clean signal on the recording vu meter at the bottom left (often the bars are lingering half way up when not playing) I recording some guitar doodling which played back ok (although it was split into different tracks one of which was twice as fast and high in pitch I'll worry about that later). Now it says "Error initilizing ASIO driver" and asks that the sampling frequency and output format are supported by the sound card which I'm sure they are with a UX2.

First, you want to decide what hz and sampling frequency you are going to use for your project. I would suggest for the time being 16bit at 41,000hz. Use only the UX2 ASIO driver when using the UX2. In the UX2 control panel set sampling to match your settings in n-track. In n-track use the UX2 ASIO for both recording and playback. Remember you have a choice here. You can record in mono, a single track or you can record 2 tracks from the UX2 at the same time. Pod farm allows you to run 2 different/amp/effects at the same time giving you the option to record one of them to one track and the other to another track at the same time. I would suggest, until your more comfortable that you use the UX2 gearbox instead of pod farm, because the pod farm is for more experience users in terms of it's purpose. Once you get the hang of gearbox you understand the purpose of POD farm and be able to use it effectively.

As I mentioned you can record in mono, single track or stereo. If you want to record in stereo you have several options, one is you select in n-track UX2 line 1 for track 1 and UX2 line 2 for track 2 provided you have added 2 tracks to your project. You would record this from gearbox. Afterwards you would pan the 2 tracks, one left and one right to create the stereo effect. The other method (mono to stereo) is to record just line 1 to track 1. Then you would clone the track to make an exact copy of the that track and place it in track 2. You must then open the properties of both tracks and select "Expand to stereo". You then click on the the small oval looking icons on the mixer for each track and select 'red oval" for one track 1 and "green oval" for the track 2 to indicate left and right. You'll notice when you expand the mono track to stereo, it's wave form display will change to two wave forms on the single track, indicating the mono track is now stereo ready but you won't hear stereo separation until you clone it and assign stereo, those little oval icons. Then you pan to get stereo separation. I myself only from time to time use the mono to stereo method as I feel this is a lot of work. Since the UX2 can record in stereo I choose the first method, Just add 2 tracks to your project, assign line 1 and 2 respectively and record. You end up with 2 tracks and all you do is pan them. So record in pairs with the UX2 whether it's guitar or using the mic.

Some notes on getting it to work,
Make sure the UX2 is plugged into your USB port and no software like pod farm or gearbox is running. Run n-track first and select the UX2 ASIO for recording and playback in n-track. Open preferences and make sure it's set 41,000hz, leave n-track running, open gearbox, goto driver section select 16 bit, you should see that n-track is listed in the ASIO detection section, just make sure 16bit is selected in the driver section, everything else hear is automatic except the gearbox buffering. This slider at the bottom you can use to adjust the buffering, that is if you hear pops and clicks while you play you can adjust the slider up a little at a time until these pops and clicks go away. The trade off is the larger the buffer the more delay you'll hear in your playing. During playback if you hear pops and clicks you adjust the sampling which is just above the buffering slider where you selected 16bit earlier. A good setting to start with is 512

Just a side note: you might notice when assigning UX2 line 1 or UX2 line 2 there are other lines available like lines 3 and 4. Just ignore these for now and use UX2 line 1 and 2 to record. These additional lines allow the UX2 to record both guitar and mic at the same time however line 3 and 4 are uncompressed, meaning they (lines 3 and 4) record dry. However, you can record wet both the guitar and mic at the same time but you can only do this in mono.

Hope this helps,

PACO

Thanks thats plently of stuff for me to get on with. I checked the preferences its at 44100Hz, I set it to 16 bits with the little hammer button below the recording VU meter. In the “Line 6 Audio / Midi devices” window the “Driver Format” box is locked although the ASIO setting to the right of that I changed the default Bit depth to 16 bit. I’m just downloading gearbox its not written on the front of any of the 4 CD’s that came with the UX2. The recordings don’t sound great at the moment so thanks for the info about buffering. It might take me a while to go through all of that, I’ll get back to it tomorow. Good night from UK

How do I find the UX2 control panel?

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Jan. 07 2010, 5:28 PM)

How do I find the UX2 control panel?

It's in gearbox. Look for ASIO settings. You can also access the UX2 ASIO/driver control panel in n-track provided your using the UX2 ASIO drivers with the UX2 plugged in. It's in there, access from the little hammer. Right now I'm sitting at my laptop, everything I own including my main PC is packed up. I'll be moving in a few days, So can't run anything, my UX2 included. I'll be off-line from Jan 13/10 until sometime after the Jan 21/10. I hope to be back then.

PACO

I hope the move goes well. It turns out the control Panel was the same box I was getting via the start menu although everything under driver format is locked, indicated with mid grey text.

Just to let you know what Ive been up to; I downloaded Gearbox but there where some problems towards the end of the install it crashed, next day I came back to it and the UX2 wasn’t registering at all so I uninstalled everything drivers and POD farm then re-installed and it works again now but no Gearbox.

Listening (through headphones) to myself playing it sounded fine but playing back a recording of the same not as good. I was a little frustrated and wondered if it was because the human brain processes sounds differently to man made technology and I suppose thats where all the things like compression, expansion and EQ are needed.

The Line 6 online help files and manuals seem to crash half the time with Firefox. I’ve been trying out the condenser mic in different angles and places like another room where there is no noisy computer. Learning about EQ and compression in N-track (does it have an expander?), quite interesting. I don’t understand the VU meters, send 1 / 2 and send 3 / 4 I think they are to do with the UX2? I think I read somewhere in the Line 6 manuals that 3 and 4 lack something like compression, compared to 1 and 2.

It says it has an expander but I can’t find it on N track!

http://ntrack.com/fa_dx_effects.php

Anyone know where I can find it?