Beginner

Beginning

I have got N track trial recently.

So far have tried recording by going from the line out of my Marshall AVT150H into the MB (onboard sound) using a reducer for the Jack plug, not a great way of doing it I guess? I can get it to record guitar but the sound quality is poor with lots of background noise, the recording bar on the left hovers halfway up like there is excess noise going on, its even doing it now when nothing is plugged in. Once when I recorded it temporarily sounded much better, I think maybe because the jack plug moved around? I’m pretty clueless.

Any advice?!

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 13 2009, 12:50 PM)

I have got N track trial recently.

So far have tried recording by going from the line out of my Marshall AVT150H into the MB (onboard sound) using a reducer for the Jack plug, not a great way of doing it I guess? I can get it to record guitar but the sound quality is poor with lots of background noise, the recording bar on the left hovers halfway up like there is excess noise going on, its even doing it now when nothing is plugged in. Once when I recorded it temporarily sounded much better, I think maybe because the jack plug moved around? I'm pretty clueless.

Any advice?!

I agree it's not the best way to do things. I would suggest a USB interface like a line6 UX2, which has built in AMPS and effects or similar products. Devices like this have better ASIO support and are designed to plug your guitar/mic into them, then into your computer. The line in on your sound card is not ideal but it can work.

PACO

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the line6 maybe in the future I could so with something like that. For now I just want to get something decent from the line out of my amp to the on board sound, I guess the reason it sounds muffled and has excess sound might be from a dodgy connection so getting/trying a differernt jack reducer might work. Then try it on a different computer if no improvement there.

About 1999 I got one of these kits http://www.kickassgear.com/Reviews/SBLivePlatinum.htm At the time my intention was to get into computer music but it didn’t happen with the kind of concentration I had as a teenager. The rest is in other computers long gone but I still have the live drive 2 which I looked at yesterday, although the pins don’t seem to fit my IDE cable, it seems the fittings have changed since then.

You can start by lowering the on board line in signal (set to 85%). I think with your setup, n-track will be using the wave outs as it’s recording source. Make sure this volume, the wave out is not maxed out (about 85% as well), this will avoid distortion. If possible, as a means to an end, try to find an old audigy or audigy2 sound card for your PC assuming your using a work station and not a laptop. I would be able to help you set that up using your line in and known working ASIO drivers.

PACO

Quote:

The rest is in other computers long gone but I still have the live drive 2 which I looked at yesterday, although the pins don't seem to fit my IDE cable, it seems the fittings have changed since then

Your SB needs both the PCI card (which I hope you didn't leave in
the 'long gone' computer) AND the external box. The cable you refer to (whcih may indeed by an IDE cable is for connecting the PCI board
(inside the computer) to the daughter
board that is housed in the 5-1/4" housing. (see photo from your link)
If you don't have both, you may have to shop ebay or something to get
the PCI main board.
Good luck

Thanks for the advice, I wouldn’t have known otherwise. For both the playback and recording N track is set to “1-MME: Realtec 97 Audio” but I dont know how to adjust the onboard line in signal.

I can’t find the old sound card but have seen some cheap ones, I will get hold of one. I tried an old IDE cable and it fit the live drive, the one currently in my PC that I tried 1st was a newer chaintech version with one hole covered over.

In the case of Soundblaster live soundcards http://www.itcsales.co.uk/ uses pictures of different products than the ones they sell.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 17 2009, 7:27 AM)

In the case of Soundblaster live soundcards http://www.itcsales.co.uk/ uses pictures of different products than the ones they sell.

Are you using a laptop or desktop PC for your project?

PACO

I’m using a desktop

Would this one do? it looks like it has the pins for the live drive:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Creativ…754dda4

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 17 2009, 10:08 AM)

I'm using a desktop

Would this one do? it looks like it has the pins for the live drive:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Creativ....754dda4

Yes I think it would, however if your going to go this route, with a creative card, I suggest the Audigy or Audigy 2 if you can get your hands on it. The reason I say this is because I've had both of these cards and the Audigy 4 and Audigy 4 pro and the ASIO driver, "ASIO4ALL" works well for all these cards. I can help you with setup too because I've been there.

You will be able to, with a mini adapter from your guitar cord, plug directly into the "line in" on the sound card and record your guitar. You'll need some kind of VST host like NI Vstack or something similar to run amps sounds for the guitar or you can chain an effects stomp pedal (not my first choice). In addition, programs like Waves GTR will use the Creative ASIO for audio while the "ASIO4ALL" will run in n-track, you'll use the internal wave out from the sound card (what GTR audio is sending, crunching rock amp effect for example) to record in n-track. I do it all the time and it works good.

Side note: The benefit of doing it this way is, the creative ASIO driver will drive the VST amp effects into the internal wave out, the ASIO4ALL will drive the audio into n-track from the wave out and keep things separate and will also function without track bleeding (this is a good thing). The creative drivers are no good for n-track because they track bleed and multi line ins this driver is supposed support are scrambled beyond idiot comprehension. So in a nut shell you use the ASIO4ALL driver in n-track and the creative ASIO for any third party stand alone VST's or stand alone VST host you might want to use, if you want to record "wet". You can also just add VST effect to the guitar track to get the same effect with out a VST host application or stand alone VST application.

Hope this helps, keep me posted.

PACO

I found this one at the same site.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sound-b…5e657ed

PACO

I think that bid is over now I will try and get another one. I don’t understand what VST means.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 19 2009, 4:01 PM)

I think that bid is over now I will try and get another one. I don't understand what VST means.

A VST is an effect application you can run to generate real time effects. Similar to a guitar pedal or rack mount effects.
Have a look at this site. I have the Line6 UX2

http://line6.com/toneportux2/guitar.html

You can find some free ones here.
http://www.superriff.com/

Installing VST into n-track. If the folder "vstplugins" is not present in your n-track install, create a folder with that name in the main n-track folder. Install all your VST's there. When asked by n-track to scan your VST folder, point n-track to that folder and the effects will show up when you want to add them to a track.

PACO

PACO

Thanks Paco. I looked around for an audigy but wasn’t sure of the connections from the photos (without someone telling me for sure) and the prices I could see the bids ending up at was roughly the same as so ended up getting…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Creativ…754dda4

Thanks for the explanation of VST, I thought it was a cubase thing as thats where I heard the term before like with cubase VST but its more generic than that? So its computer programs that do the same as effects pedals, I take it real time doesn’t pertain to whether you apply it during recording or after? I looked at the GTR site they have a lot of “VST”? on there. What about valves? I cant see that you would get valves on VST but then the effects on a valve amp are the same as VSTing a valve amp anyway? Thats probably a whole other kettle of fish I don’t want to confound myself ???

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 20 2009, 6:02 AM)

Thanks Paco. I looked around for an audigy but wasn't sure of the connections from the photos (without someone telling me for sure) and the prices I could see the bids ending up at was roughly the same as so ended up getting...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Creativ....754dda4

So its computer programs that do the same as effects pedals, I take it real time doesn't pertain to whether you apply it during recording or after? What about valves?

You can apply before "WET" provided you have an application that can run the VST plugins like "vStack" or you can apply the effects afterwards in n-track. Can't say anything about Valves, never used it. The advantage to running vstack is you can play while hearing the effects. Programs like Guitar rig 3 or 4 also allow to you play "WET" but record dry, the thinking being you can apply the same effects that were played wet or add different effects afterwards with the choice to change it, meaning a higher degree of flexibilty.
"Waves GTR" allows you play "WET" only, thats the way I like it.

PACO

It came today. I put it in a PCI slot and joined it to the live drive with an IDE cable, at first when I turned it on I smelt burning / melting so turned it off, took the card out and sniffed it and it was definately coming from it. Looked at the card saw what looks like some minor scratches, put it back in turned it on again, no burning smell this time, bubble comes up on bottom right of screen recognising it as “Sound blaster Value”. Not long after the computer hangs up then crashes, goes to blue screen saying “MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION”. Took card out, sending it back. 2nd time no luck thats a shame, never mind will keep trying, there are plenty of other cards on ebay and other places, hopefully just bad luck so far.

Thanks I know what WET means now. I like the idea of playing wet while recording dry I guess that could be called wet/dry recording. Something for me to get into when I get this other stuff sorted. Valve amps sound much better, more “organic”, than (transistor?) ones. Recorded onto computer I guess valve quality might be lost in the “digitalization?” or maybe it’s retained, I hope the latter.

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 22 2009, 2:46 PM)

It came today. I put it in a PCI slot and joined it to the live drive with an IDE cable, at first when I turned it on I smelt burning / melting so turned it off, took the card out and sniffed it and it was definately coming from it. Looked at the card saw what looks like some minor scratches, put it back in turned it on again, no burning smell this time, bubble comes up on bottom right of screen recognising it as "Sound blaster Value". Not long after the computer hangs up then crashes, goes to blue screen saying "MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION". Took card out, sending it back. 2nd time no luck thats a shame, never mind will keep trying, there are plenty of other cards on ebay and other places, hopefully just bad luck so far.

Thanks I know what WET means now. I like the idea of playing wet while recording dry I guess that could be called wet/dry recording. Something for me to get into when I get this other stuff sorted. Valve amps sound much better, more "organic", than (transistor?) ones. Recorded onto computer I guess valve quality might be lost in the "digitalization?" or maybe it's retained, I hope the latter.

Sorry to hear that. You know...Line6 make good stuff and fairly cheap. Like my UX2 has Phantom power for the mic and 2 lines for my guitar plus all the amps and cool effects you can think of and works well with n-track. I really use the Audigy for my keyboards. They do make slightly cheaper versions which don't have phantom power but do allow the line in for guitar and comes with a good selection of amps and effects in one package. They have solid ASIO drivers too. Not to blow their horn or anything but recording guitar from the line in on the Audigy is not my first choice. You might consider this because, it's a means to an end and it's the cheapest way to get going in the right direction. I do know there are other ways to go about it, but I do know it's a more expensive approach.

For example: check this link

http://www.axemusic.com/product...._ID=all

This unit is about $120.00 CND and will get you headed in the right direction.

There are other units like the Tascam US-122 but doesn't have amp/effect software. It's priced about the same. It all depends on what you want to spend.

PACO

Thanks for the advice I am learning some usefull stuff!
About over a month ago I managed to get to page 57 of the book “Guerilla home recording” by Karl Coryet before I started to feel like I was venturing a bit into the wilderness.
I like the retro look of the UX2.
I got a Rode M3 mike about 2 months ago and use a battery for that as I don’t have any devices with phantom at the mo.
I think I will try and master the sound card 1st then move on after that.
Thankfully the ebay seller was nice and has said they will send another.
If I manage to do all this, it should also really enhance my guitar teaching so I can record students for them to critique themselves and record backings for them to take home.

So things like the UX2 and line6, are they “Direct inputs”? in that they amplify the signal to that of “line”? because they have a pre-amp? I wonder what the main difference is between that and a basic mixer like the one below which also has pre-amps? I guess the DI’s have effects while mixers have mainly eq’s?

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-a…2A9

Quote: (Arpeggio @ Dec. 22 2009, 4:40 PM)

Thanks for the advice I am learning some usefull stuff! About over a month ago I managed to get to page 57 of the book "Guerilla home recording" by Karl Coryet before I started to feel like I was venturing a bit into the wilderness. I like the retro look of the UX2. I got a Rode M3 mike about 2 months ago and use a battery for that as I don't have any devices with phantom at the mo. I think I will try and master the sound card 1st then move on after that. Thankfully the ebay seller was nice and has said they will send another. If I manage to do all this, it should also really enhance my guitar teaching so I can record students for them to critique themselves and record backings for them to take home.

So things like the UX2 and line6, are they "Direct inputs"? in that they amplify the signal to that of "line"? because they have a pre-amp? I wonder what the main difference is between that and a basic mixer like the one below which also has pre-amps? I guess the DI's have effects while mixers have mainly eq's?

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-a....2A9

Yes the Line6 UX2 provides the amp boost so to speak. You'll have plenty of head room as the unit comes with a line in volume adjustment with more volume control from the amp/effects control panel in software. I started with the line in on sound card and then moved up to the Line6 stuff. It's a good place to start the method you mentioned. As far as direct inputs goes, yes you plug your guitar directly into it and then USB to the computer, then the software adds amp/effects directly into n-track. It's way cool. Does bass guitar too. You should know, in order to hear audio (from the UX2 series) from Line6 through speakers you'll need a speaker/monitor setup that supports digital/coaxial inputs like this unit. (coaxial cable required) I have this unit and it's fairly cheap. Or you can use the monitor outputs on the back of UX2 to connect to them to an analog monitor on your studio monitors. Go digital, less hassle better sound and I haven't tested the analog monitor outs so I can't say for sure you get wet or dry audio from them or whether or not you'll hear audio from n-track, but I do know the digital works excellent and you'll hear everything.

http://www.axemusic.com/product...._ID=295

But you can monitor the sounds, both what Line6 UX2 puts out and what n-track sends out (your tracks) through the headphone jack on the UX2, no problem so all you really need is some headphones and the UX2 to hear everything.

PACO