Best build

I have finaly worked out all my interface problems and ever thing is working great but N keeps crashing my pc.Its working great but every ten minutes or so ill hit play or stop or somthing and bam it all goes black and my pc restarts.I was wondering what build was the best one and if you guys had a link im still using 4 and i did a reinstall so i think im running the most recent build wich dosnt seem to cut it.

Check to make sure that you don’t have anything running in the background such as anti-virus software.

You have just installed the latest build of N-track (Version 5.0.3)? I think that most people are finding it more stable than version 4. I always had reasonable success with version 4. I suspect that you have a setup problem. We will need more information about your setup to help.

T

no I installed the newest version of 4. and i didnt have this problem with what ever version i was using before. I have nothing running in the back ground. Thanx for your help.

Build 2099 of V4 was an absolute disaster on my machine bones. If I recall correctly, 2066 was the last version of V4 I could get anything done in. The latest V5 (build 2204) is doing well so far.

D

I did have 2099 so i went to 2006 Thsnx for your help

I had problems with several V4 builds and am much happier now with the latest builds of V5.

Shayne

It’s unreasonable to me to upgrade to new version just because the current version doesn’t work properly. Every version should be as bug-free as possible before moving into a new version. New version (not new build) should be a program having more features, not a program with bugs from previous version fixed.

We pay for the upgrade because we want more features. We don’t pay for fixing bugs. I’ve heard people complaining about v 4 a lot and some suggesting to go to v 5. It’s just unreasonable to me.

Just sharing my thoughts over the issue.

Francis

I’m getting good performance from the latest build.

Version 4 was dissapointing, but that’s the chance you take when buying shareware. Most software and other computer gear I’ve bought is out of date within 3-5 years anyhow. It’s just the nature of the game.

Quote (Francis @ Jan. 19 2007,23:09)
It's unreasonable to me to upgrade to new version just because the current version doesn't work properly. Every version should be as bug-free as possible before moving into a new version.

So you're saying that Microsoft should go back and fix all the problems in Windows1 or Windows2 or Windows3.1 so they work as well as XP??

Sorry, software development and computing does not work that way.

In a perfect world everything would work wonderfully, but in the real world you move on....

Quote (TimOBrien @ Jan. 25 2007,11:19)
So you’re saying that Microsoft should go back and fix all the problems in Windows1 or Windows2 or Windows3.1 so they work as well as XP??

Sorry, software development and computing does not work that way.

In a perfect world everything would work wonderfully, but in the real world you move on…

Ouch! Let me first say that I have the greatest respect for the members of this forum and feel that they are the greatest asset to using N. That said, I too felt that version 4 never got out of the beta state and was disappointed that after all of the beta testing we did that version 5 was released for us to now beta test. It is interesting to note that many of the respected contributors are still on version 3. I think that a version should reach a stable state before the next is released. I don’t mind dishing out the $29 for the upgrade - hey I like supporting Flavio in his effort and have enjoyed N for years now. But I do use the software for creating music and version 4 was problematic enough for me that I needed to find another solution (Cakewalk) for recording as after version 4 I did not have the time to turn around a help debug ver 5. Of course, like many of you I like the N work flow and the familiarity of it and still use it where I can.

I appreciate the fact that the .NET vm was not ready for real-time processing and that Flavio needs to keep the product moving forward, but the fact is version 4 did not live up to the N-Track quality we were accustomed to.

I found your Micro$oft comment ridiculous on many levels (this was not at all what was suggested). Software development DOES work that way (what you don’t still get services patches for Windows 2000, even though XP has been out since 2001). Software development teams are often supporting multiple versions of their products - which is one of the reasons that you try to make your product as stable and bug-free as possible before releasing the next version.

Sorry for the long post, but I’ve always found the users of this forum to be honest in discussing the product (pros and cons) and hope that this is not something that would be discouraged.

Just my two cents…

Ive been recording at home now for just over a year, and I have several programs but have never felt the need to use anything other than N. Sure, it does crash sometimes, but once maybe every 30 hours I can live with. I know nothing about computers and most of the posts here go way over my head, (especially the technical ones) but I have had no major problems.

My point is, its not my skill on the computer that makes it run smoothly, its that N (for me) just runs great. Maybe Im just lucky…

Hi Tim,

I think you misunderstood my post. I didn’t say v 4 should behave like v 5. All I said was v 4 should work well on all the features it provides.

For instance, say I can’t mixdown tracks in v 4. So I ask Flavio to help me and he says, ‘You got to buy v 5. It will let you mixdown the track.’ So should I upgrade to v 5 just to get what I need to do with v 4? It doesn’t make sense to me. And this is just an example in its simplest term. No harm was really intended.

MF had my point.

Francis

Every version of n-Tracks has had problems on some machines, for whatever reason, and some have been so bad they wouldn’t install or would crash doing even simple stuff. If Flavio can repro a problem he fixes it. He doesn’t have all combinations of hardware so he can’t fix every bug that gets reported. I know that’s not expected, but if one of those bugs happens to be something as simple as mixdown then there is usually something else wrong or incompatible. Sometimes the only way to fix a bug is to rip out the guts and start over. When most folks have few or no problems it’s hard call what to do when someone is really hosed.

Here’s my personal experience, both using and reading the forum…

V2.0 - V2.2 worked fine, though they crashed often. (Win98)
V2.3 - Never got it to work. I couldn’t do anything in it without bringing down the whole machine. (Win98)
V3.0 - Almost not usable, couldn’t record, but could mix, not as bad as V2.3. Crashed very often. (Win98 - Win2k)
V3.1 - Better than V3.0. Could record and record. Still crashed every 20 minutes or so. (Win2k)
V3.2 - Don’t remember this version.
V3.3 - Most stable version up to that point. The last build is what many folks still use. I was till having crashes until I replace my video card. At that point it became clear that most crashes from V2.3 until V3.3 were probably caused by the video drivers. With the new video it was clear sailing. (Win2k - WinXp)
V4.x - Some things were better some weren’t. On one hand it used less CPU than V3.3, depending on what was being done – on the other is used more and was less stable. The last build of V4 was as stable as V3.3 on my machine and used less resources when some new functionality was turned off. Some folks never got it up to par with V3.3. (WinXp)
V5.0 - The latest build is as stable as V3.3 ever was on my machine. It uses a little more resources, but will playback more tracks with less CPU usage. Some folks are still having trouble with it, but it seems to be much better than V4 for almost everyone. (WinXp)

I agree with Phoo’s experience. I have since jumped ship to another DAW, but still have some old projects in N-track that I need to load up from time to time and v5 seems to be pretty okay. Otherwise I am still on v4 1846 (whatever the last before the .NET requirement was)