Best Headphones

Regardless of my volume problem below, I need to get new headphones.

Can I get some recommendations for a reasonably priced (and loud) set of headphones?

Thanks,

Jeff

Don’t buy a pair of headphones because they have loud output. It is quite easy to destroy your hearing playing headphones at too loud volumes, and you would want your hearing to be intact for tracking, right? I know, I work for a hearing aid company, but do yourself a favour and take care of your hearing.

Instead, go shopping for a pair of closed headphones. They are not excactly cheap, but they are well worth the exstra $$$ spent. Brands include, but are not limited to, Sennheiser, BeyerDynamic, Philips, Altec-Lansing, AKG and Sony. I have a pair of BeyerDynamic DT-770 headphones myself, and they are crystal clear sounding, and isolate their sound from the environment with about 15-20 dB dampening.

regards, Nils

by loud do you mean ones that wil be louder with minimal power (ie loud on a portable player) or do you mean ones that handle large amounts of power without distorting?

I recently picked up some behringer hpm1000. They are inexspensive and can handle more volume than my ears can. The MSRP on the site is $14.99 (USD), the ones a step up are listed as $24.99 (USD), which i’ve used in someones studio and are great for recording (don’t know about using them for mixing).

recording artists best friend ever. :) I have 5 pair for recording bands.

headphones

I’ve got a Sony like this one.

…and another like this one for guests.

Both are pretty darn nice, and if used with a decent headphone amp, will make you deaf very quickly. ???

I use a pair on Sennheiser ones like these, but the most important thing to me is replaceable cables/foam/etc. as these need replacing every so often and you don’t want to have to throw an expensive item away because of a broken cable.

Panasonic makes the best price/performance monitor headphones hands down. 10hz-27khz response for under $30. These sound exact to my $100 sony headphones, and I use them much more. My Uncle works for panasonic and tells me its the same speaker design and model used in the Sony monitor model, but they skimp on using the high priced headband to sell for way less. Not like your going to drop them out of a plane anyhow, right? Mine have held up for 2 years now. Read the reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec…=glance

"You can’t just put velvet in the shits, and say they good headphones!" - Dave Chappelle (Fisticuffs)

:O

ONe question, why do you need loud? If you needloudto hear a click while recording over drums ora guitaramp, I would highly highly highly suggest getting a pair of the Vic Firth SIH1 headphones. They are not great for critical listeing, but they are absolutely perfect for recording. I use them on stage and in the studio to hear my click and sampler over my drums. They isolate you so you don’t haveto turn up and can still hear. For $50, they protect your hearing and allow you to hear well in noisey environments. Did I mention that I highly recommend them?

I’m forced to record and mix using headphones 'cos my stuff is in the living area of our apartment. After several frustrating months of mixes that sounded great on my expensive Philips 'phones but sounded crap on the hi-fi system, I investigated and ended up buying a pair of Sennheiser HD270. Closed back, good isolation, very clean and neutral, but they need a good headphone amp to drive them to high levels. But you don’t need high levels to record and mix, in fact it’s best to avoid working with loud sound (as opposed to enjoying it from time to time) as the good old Fletcher-Munsen curves will get you. I can now be fairly sure that what sounds good through the 'phones will be OK on 'speakers, though I sometimes have to go back and tweak the eek a bit, usually bass is the problem. Any way I really recommend the HD270 as a mid price but super high sound quality closed headphone. And the pads can be washed and replaced.
Cheers
Tusterbuster

Thanks a lot folks - This Forum Rocks!!!

Lots of good info!.

Jeff

Hi JeffNew,

I use the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and have had great luck with them. I switch back and forth between them and Alesis MK 2 nearfield monitors. Switching back and forth like that I end up getting a sound that works well on speakers and phones. High quality headphones can show you problems that the speakers may not and vice versa.
If you end up buying the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros you must break them in first though or they will not sound good.
If you have questions about what break in means, just post here and let me know.

Good luck,

Ted

My experience has been that cheap headphones don’t do the job…
I currently have a set of the Sennheiser HD265 (approx. $200.00 US) and they are worth every penny. I use them for everything from mixing to drum tracking and while they can get blisteringly loud when needed, they remain exceedingly precise at all volume levels.

Oh BTW what is your “Break In” process Ted?

Hi Jimisin,

Essentially the “break in” or “burn in” process involves playing a wide variety of music through the phones when you first get them. I have read that you should play at least 4 days of music ( x 24 hrs. ) through them. I plugged them into my FM reciever and played country, rock, classical, and jazz through them. I ran each genre about 24 hours thru the phones. The difference before and after was dramatic. I have heard that this is common with the Sennheiser HD 280 pro phones. Other models and brands benefit from this procedure in varying degrees.
I have heard that the drivers need a little run time to loosen up and loose their stiffness. As they become more pliable they become better tranducers. You can easily find more info on this subject via a little web browsing thru Google.

Hope this helps,

Ted Roberts

Don’t forget about the el cheapo method of sound isolation.

check out Dicks Sporting Goods for ear protection
Here

Put your favorite pair of ear bud headphones in your ears, preferably trendy ones from your i-pod, and drop those guys overtop. It can be a little uncomfortable on the ears, but works well for cutting out drum sound and being about to hear click tracks and such

pOd

Don’t forget about the el cheapo method of sound isolation.

check out Dicks Sporting Goods for ear protection
Here

Put your favorite pair of ear bud headphones in your ears, preferably trendy ones from your i-pod, and drop those guys overtop. It can be a little uncomfortable on the ears, but works well for cutting out drum sound and being about to hear click tracks and such

pOd

AWWW MAN…I love that solution!!!
ear buds and mickey ears

You guys kill me:D