Beta test n-Track on iOS!

Become a Beta Tester.

Do you want the opportunity to try out new features before they go live for everyone?

If yes, we’re on the lookout for new n-Track Pro beta testers on iOS!

The current beta version includes:

• New Auto-Filter plugin
  • Improvements to using the sidechain
  • Importing custom soundfonts
  • Locked loop selection
JOIN THE BETA
(click from your iOS device)

*Beta versions may not always have the stability of the public release.
For critical work we recommend using the non-beta version.

To become a beta tester:

1. Download the TestFlight app from the App Store on the iOS device you’ll use for testing
  2. Follow this link, and tap “install” or “update”.
  3. Start using n-Track Studio Pro
  4. To send feedback whilst using n-Track Studio Pro use the Settings menu and then ‘Contact Support’. You can also just take a screenshot on your device and use the ‘Share Beta Feedback’ menu from the share menu.
BECOME A TESTER

As ever, have fun creating music with n-Track!

I’ve just downloaded the new Beta and I’m ready to start testing. My question is, are there any instructions available about where and how to access the various new features to test? The new filter is easy to find and use (works great by the way!) but accessing various sounds inside downloaded sound fonts is difficult.
Thanks!!!

Hi @Heimie, thanks for joining!
Here’s how the import custom soundfont feature works currently:

• add a new instrument track
  • in the instrument browser, scroll down and select “Add custom soundfont” (it should be the last item)
  • browse to your sf2 file location and select it

This will create a new instrument track where the instrument sounds are mapped to your soundfont. You can play it as usual with the MIDI keyboard or program your parts in the pianoroll.

The next time you will add a new custom soundfont instrument track, it will show you a recap of the recent sf2 files used for your convenience. You can still browse to select a new one, of course.

I hope that helps. Let us know what is the difficulty that you are experiencing in particular when trying to access your downloaded soundfonts. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey there, happy to join the testing, claimed my “seat” through Test Flight app a couple of days before.

Haven’t installed a version that’s appeared there just yet - as I an in the process of finishing a couple of sensitive and heavy-weight projects, so I guess for a few days more I’ll stick with the stable release until I finally get those “sealed”.

Meanwhile I just wanted to ask a question beforehand - about soundfont import feature in particular since I’ve actually tried several tools for that specific functionality recently and they all gave in a way simplified solutions, which do not quite satisfy my needs.

So my main question is - will it be possible to import the soundfont that relies on other resources than just a soundfont file itself - for example waveform audio samples that are stored as a regular folder.
To be more specific, here’s the most obvious example I can come up with as an illustration:

Virtual Playing Orchestra

Quote from the download page:
“Virtual Playing Orchestra consists of 2 parts: wave files and scripts* . These two things work together. The scripts configure the use of the wave files. You need to download the “Wave Files” plus at least one of the “Standard Orchestra” sfz scripts or the “Performance Orchestra” sfz scripts (depending on how you want to control the sounds) then unzip each zip file in the same place and in the same way as you did with the wave files, or wherever your DAW (digital audio workstation) can find the files you unzip”*

To my surprise there are not so many solutions in iOS field that can handle this task - they are typically able to import a soundfont file if all the data necessary for its use is stored in this single file, and if there are scripts that lead to a specific location where sample is stored - 99% can’t handle that.
So will it be possible to run something like VPO in nTrack with this new feature?

Thanks in advance!

@contact thank you for your interest in joining our beta program! Yes, I do recommend you finish your sensitive works before. Even if the beta version is stable and should not introduce any major regression, it’s better to avoid any possible complications when you are on a schedule.

The importing of a custom soundfont is indeed limited to the selection of a single sf2 file, unfortunately.
The sfz format you linked requires the use of a sfz player plugin and there are no such plugins available for iOS to date, as far as I know.
It’s something that we might be interested to implement in the future. Thank for letting us know!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the informative reply. Hope to see anything like this in ths future built in to n-Track - it would be just a pure killer in fact.
Anyway, it’s good to have you around and see that you keep working on the DAW, which is already packed with one of the most diverse toolset on the market, if not actually the most among others in iOS field.
I’ve tried every available actually except for Cubasis (I assume it’s the only one that actually may have to some degree similar amount of built-in tools, but I just see no reason in spending this amount of money on a DAW that is landscape-only), so can not speak for it from my experience, But every other - without a doubt - not even close in these terms.

For anyone who may come across this thread and have any interest in
VPO - since it’s not possible to just run the instrument straight “from the box” on iOS, it’s actually possible to replicate it’s original functionality almost 100% accurately, since all the WAV files are available for download as a part of the whole package - using any kind of decent Sampler (Rompler/Advanced Groovebox) that lets you import, map and multilayer user sample files - for example Drambo, it runs as a standalone, as an AUv3 instrument/audio proccessor as well as MIDI fx, making it perfect for this kind of purposes.
The script-files’ contents are easy to read and understand if opened as text files (changing file extention prior to opening from sfz to txt).
There you may find every path to a certain wav-sample along with ADSR (envelope) settings, range of notes for each sample etc, etc, etc. In other words - everything you may possibly need to replicate samples’ behavior in any other suitable virtual instrument builder.

by most of it content looks like this:

ampeg_attack=0.300
ampeg_vel2attack=-0.300
// slower release for slower notes = legato effect (PB)
ampeg_release=2.25
ampeg_vel2release=-1.0

sample=…\libs\SSO\Samples\Basses\basses-sus-c1-PB-loop.wav
pan=10; volume=-0.5; lokey=c1; hikey=d#1; pitch_keycenter=c1; tune=6

But maaaaan, it’s definitely quite a pain in the ass of a process, since VPO’s sample library is huge. Hope that I’ll finish this rebuild somewhen, ‘cause at the same time this library is surely decent.

1 Like