Beta version is about to exprire

Win 7, Reg codes not working

I’m running the WIN 32bit version of n-Track on my Windows 7 64 bit OS. It’s telling me “this beta version will expire in 2 days”. I put in my reg codes and restart n-Track only to have this reminder pop up on restart again and again. If I set the clock back to avoid the pop up, it asks to modify the time stamp of my recorded files to the new date or if I cancel the process to leave things the way they are, IT WANTS TO DESTROY THE FILES. v2654

Also this version will not allow me to set the installation directory when I install it. It defaults to c:\Program files(x86). No control over the install. Not Happy.

PACO

The Beta versions usually expire every few weeks. The current beta version that is online expires on February 2011.
Or you can install version 6.1 build 2655 which is not beta and thus never expires.

I’m not sure of what you mean when you say that the program wants to destroy the files, could you please describe with more detail what happens?

Flavio.

Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Dec. 17 2010, 9:01 AM)

The Beta versions usually expire every few weeks. The current beta version that is online expires on February 2011.
Or you can install version 6.1 build 2655 which is not beta and thus never expires.

I'm not sure of what you mean when you say that the program wants to destroy the files, could you please describe with more detail what happens?

Flavio.

I set my windows clock back a month so I wouldn't get the pop up. When I loaded one of my .sng files I get a pop that says, Select ok if you want to change the date/time of the current file to current time, meaning a month ago or select cancel to remove the file. I thought I was in pickle because I wanted to cancel it so while n-track and the pop up was still open, I reset the clock back to the correct date and time and selected OK and I didn't loose the file. I understand this may have something to do with preventing users from simply continuing to use the program by just turning the clock back. Scary non-the-less.

Thanks for the heads up on the beta versions, a little happier now.

PACO
Quote: (Paco572 @ Dec. 17 2010, 9:43 AM)

I'm not sure of what you mean when you say that the program wants to destroy the files, could you please describe with more detail what happens?

Flavio.

I set my windows clock back a month so I wouldn't get the pop up. When I loaded one of my .sng files I get a pop that says, Select ok if you want to change the date/time of the current file to current time, meaning a month ago or select cancel to remove the file. I thought I was in pickle because I wanted to cancel it so while n-track and the pop up was still open, I reset the clock back to the correct date and time and selected OK and I didn't loose the file. I understand this may have something to do with preventing users from simply continuing to use the program by just turning the clock back. Scary non-the-less.

PACO

Setting the file to the current time is not meant to preventt people to turn back the system clock, n-Track checks the date of the last modification for .wav files to determine wether or not the npk file (used to display the waveform) for the .wav file is up to date. The message is there because every once in a while it happens that an user has incorrectly set the computer clock to an old date (for example because the clock battery has discharged) and then imports a .wav file whose date now appears to be in the future, then n-Track would loop in trying to update the npk file, always finding it not up-to-date because the last modification of the .wav file is in the future while the last modification date of the npk is in the present.
If you select 'Ok' when the program asks if you want to set the file to the current time, the program simply sets the 'last modification date' attribute of the file to the current date/time. Nothing else is touched, it definitely doesn't want to destroy files.

Flavio.

This is also a Windows thing. It helps weed out corrupted files. I’ve run into this when trying to open files sent to me from other timezones - timezones that put the actual time newer than what’s set on my computer. When I get files from Terje in Norway they are 9 hours newer local Norway time than my local time – created in the future. The problem seems to be that the time of the files on my local time isn’t taken into consideration in the check, at that time, only the relative difference is. Setting MY clock ahead will NOT work around this, as the relative time is still 9 hours different. Yet, if I wait 9 hours I can open the files fine anywhere. If I need to open them RIGHT NOW I must open them in Adobe Audition, which doesn’t care about the time stamp, and do a SAVE AS to create a new file with a local created time. That duplicate file will open fine in n-Track since it was indeed created in the past.

Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Dec. 17 2010, 10:07 AM)

Quote: (Paco572 @ Dec. 17 2010, 9:43 AM)

Flavio.

PACO

Setting the file to the current time is not meant to preventt people to turn back the system clock, n-Track checks the date of the last modification for .wav files to determine wether or not the npk file (used to display the waveform) for the .wav file is up to date. The message is there because every once in a while it happens that an user has incorrectly set the computer clock to an old date (for example because the clock battery has discharged) and then imports a .wav file whose date now appears to be in the future, then n-Track would loop in trying to update the npk file, always finding it not up-to-date because the last modification of the .wav file is in the future while the last modification date of the npk is in the present.
If you select 'Ok' when the program asks if you want to set the file to the current time, the program simply sets the 'last modification date' attribute of the file to the current date/time. Nothing else is touched, it definitely doesn't want to destroy files.

Flavio.

I suppose my choice of words could've been better. When I said destroy I probably should have said delete instead. So I apologize for this miss use of the term. Below is a screen shot of the pop up and it clearly indicates, if you select cancel it will remove the wavefile from the song. I'm I incorrect in assuming that this means to delete the wavefile or am I missing something here?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PACO

I imagine the file will only be removed from the song project and not from your drive?

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 17 2010, 4:53 PM)

I imagine the file will only be removed from the song project and not from your drive?

That's good question. Sorry about the quality of the image. Don't know why it looks so bad.

PACO

That's correct, if you select 'Cancel' the file is removed from the current song, the file on the disk is not affected. Also the current song is not saved so no permanent change is made until you select File/Save [As].

I understand how the message might be misleading, so the next time I will revise the npk file format (most likely in 6.1.1 or 6.1.2) I will add a 'last modified' field inside the npk file so that it will remember what was the last modified time of the corresponding .wav file, so n-Track will be able to tell wether to recalculate or not the npk file (used for the drawing of the waveform) if the last modified date has changed, regardless of the relationship between the file last modified date (past or future) and the present time, so the message will no longer appear and the problem Phoo described will be solved.

Flavio.
Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Dec. 18 2010, 10:44 AM)

That's correct, if you select 'Cancel' the file is removed from the current song, the file on the disk is not affected. Also the current song is not saved so no permanent change is made until you select File/Save [As].

I understand how the message might be misleading, so the next time I will revise the npk file format (most likely in 6.1.1 or 6.1.2) I will add a 'last modified' field inside the npk file so that it will remember what was the last modified time of the corresponding .wav file, so n-Track will be able to tell wether to recalculate or not the npk file (used for the drawing of the waveform) if the last modified date has changed, regardless of the relationship between the file last modified date (past or future) and the present time, so the message will no longer appear and the problem Phoo described will be solved.

Flavio.

Excellent...

PACO

I believe that there were two-or-three builds that showed that screen on my setup… Now that I have b2670 up-and-working correctly, on this setup, that screen does not appear, anymore…

Bill…

I wrote Flavio about the problem. Basically, it is a way to make sure you don’t get stuck with a beta (testing) version that has bugs that are corrected in later versions. If you always work with the Finished (current non-beta ) Version the software does not expire and fixes any glitches that occured in the previous betas. In other words, betas are not intended to be perminate versions, but testing versions. When the betas did not have an expiration, Flavio had folks complaining to him and asking for help on issues that had been fixed already in later versions. Makes since when I think about it.
Bax