Better - cleaner tracking for guitar

This is an old trick I’ve used for years with various materials. Felt and felt picks work well in the strings too - or any small heavy material to keep unused strings from droning out of tune.

With all the talks of plug ins and amp sims, I thought I’d address the foundation of clean source material. No use doing a harmony guitar part or lead or both then using a plugin that will also effect the “junk” in the track also.

This frees up the right hand also to attack a part and forget having to “palm mute” with the heel of your hand, which most good players will instinctively try to do. Duct tape rules.

Don’t forget foam under the bridge too.

Wrigley’s Spearmint. Track 'em quick though or you’ll lose the flavor! :D

UJ

Hi Poppa Willis and All:

Guitar players will certainly appreciate how other players approach common issues…

I remember well, the '61 Jazz Bass that I bought brand new and used for many years…
Under the Bridge cover there was a felt “V” spring metal devise under each string… It was screwed to the body and applied pressure to each string to keep it from resonating, when other strings were played…
However, I found the strings difficult to intoneate while those mutes were used…
The intonation could never be compensated for when setting the nut-to-bridge length…
I just removed them after some number of years… It was a shame to modify the Bass like that, because that isn’t the way Leo and company intended the bass to be modified-and-played…
The P-Bass however, had a piece of foam sticky stuff glued to the under-side of the Bridge Plate…
to correct for the Drone…
Most guys that I know just removed the plate and exposed the bridge assembly…
Anyway, whatever works, I guess…

Bill…

thats a realy good idea poppa!
but i dont know if i should use it…its like my husband bought a gps thing for the car & i know if i use it i will lose the abillity to navigate without it & that frightens me
already i only really play guitar when recording a song & often cheat by cloning bits & so i get quite rusty really quickly & when recording a new song after a big gap i really struggle to get back as good as i was.
what i mean is shortcuts are good but they make you lazy, do you know what i mean?

Tina

know what ya mean… but I was lazy to begin with so It doan matter none to me.
Another trick you might find as a great add for cleaner “dirtier” guitars - bigger harder playing - is to tune your lower strings to complimentary 3rds or 5ths and let ‘em drone on out. I do a lot of that for playing some edgier higher leads and it frees you up to play looser not worryin’ bout an E string hit in a c solo or whatever.

now i might try that it doesnt sound so much like cheating, just being more musical!

Tina

Got nuttin’ to say. Just wanted Unblown all over the main page baybayy…

UJ

PS Check it out… yeah, yeah… :laugh:

That happens naturally, if you read-and-reply to all the Board’s topics…
You’ve become a good Board Contributor…
:)
:agree:

All Work and No Play…
OR…
Is it
All Play and No Work… ????

I’ve seen other Boards where you’d get stepped on if you did that…
:)

Bill…

Why not just practice more and become a better player?

Droning strings is another issue altogether…

Duff

Cuz I’m a drummer and need to have this track done now!

yea - and if I was a singer I’d learn to produce my own reverb. It’s all done with mirrors and lights.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 15 2010, 11:14 AM)

Cuz I'm a drummer and need to have this track done now!

Yeah...but do you play one on TV? Wheres the guit box player from the Slang?
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 12 2010, 10:42 AM)

Felt and felt picks work well in the strings too - or any small heavy material to keep unused strings from droning out of tune.

Yeah I tried that....

I really couldn't get the right strum with them, they are just too fat for my fingers or I am just not used to it, I couldn't control it like I can a Medium (66mm).

What exactly are you using the felt picks for, eg. strumming, picking, muted notes?

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

muting strings - works for select lead parts - not for strumming

Quote: (duffman @ Nov. 15 2010, 5:41 PM)

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 15 2010, 11:14 AM)

Cuz I'm a drummer and need to have this track done now!

Yeah...but do you play one on TV?
Wheres the guit box player from the Slang?

I am half the guit players.

OOOO OOO I got to do a guest part on the new Slang CD!

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 17 2010, 5:21 PM)

OOOO OOO I got to do a guest part on the new Slang CD!

You must be cheap. They couldn't afford me. (Tight-wads)

UJ

I am cheap - and easy. With a dash of brilliance. I hear things. Oh by the way, you missed commenting on TomS and I’s lil run of song retortations. That was fun. er not boring. While you was smokin’ whisky and drankin’ a big cigar, we was havin’ fun. I think like 2 people got it… tough room when yer wearin’ a label.