Bill & Bill

H2 recording

Hi guys,

I took the H2 down to our local karaoke bar to try it out live. Settings: Medium gain, 90deg front speakers. Any advice on settings welcome,
Cheers,
Ian

One

I thought the band was pretty tight and was going to ask how they got that sound matched so well on the guitar…then I noticed the OP said “karaoke”… ???

I would tell the sound guy to lay back on the reverb/echo you have a good voice and it just seems squashed by that.

It’s not the H2’s fault it only records what goes into it.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Hi Bruffie:

Good for you and that you’re putting your H2 to work.
I see the link…
I’ll download it later and take a listen… and give you my take on the CAPTURE… I started to download it but I shut it down. Dial-up and modems are pretty slow… It’ll take longer than the time I have now…

Bill…

Hi Bruffie:

I got the file downloaded and I’m listening to it using Windows Media Player v11.xxxxx.xxx

What a great “Room Capture” the H2 Did …
In my opinion…
of course…

Some of my questions might be…

Can you record the whole evening with a 2 Gig. Memory card using the H2 Settings you have used with this setup?

What file Res. have you setup for this Capture? (16-bit
or 24 bit) ??

Have you used n-Track or another Editor to prepare this mp3 ?

I’m still listening…
What a great realistic Capture you created …
I can almost picture myself being there…

In the Room…
Hey…
does the Bar carry MooseHead Beer
????
The acoustic room reflections appear to be very natural…

On the critique side…

You might consider moving the H2 placement some 20 - 25% (in terms of percentage) closer to the “karaoke” Source…
However, that’s a very subjective suggestion…
The live audience ambiance is so nice…

Still listening…

Bill…

I forgot to ask:
Did you use the built-in Compressor/Lmiter plugin to rcord your track?

Post up some Set-up detail for your Capture…

Bill…

Ian,

Like t’other Bill I think you’ve got a great capture there. I assume you didn’t use the H2’s built-in compression and I wouldn’t - once recorded that way you’d be stuck with it - compress in post-production if at all, IMO.

The recording feels to me like it favours the high end (specifically the hi-hat seems pronounced) it’s likely that way in the karaoke recording but you may want to EQ your track to de-emphasize it a little - I found it distracting from the excellent vocal.

Although I like the ambient room sound in your capture if you wanted to get less of it you might consider some sort of shielding behind the H2 - a heavy hard-back book opened and propped up behind the H2 on the audience side would likely do it.

Other than those (very minor) quibbles I think you’re really onto something here. Fun, isn’t it?

Hi Gents:

I’m back here again…

I took the mp3 file that you posted and opened it in n-Track.
In the timeline you’ll see on the lower left-hand corner

(Re Sample)…
I believe that this means that n-Track is re-sampling the mp3 file (On-the-Fly)…
However, I wanted to…
and chose to use n-Track to convert the mp3 file to a .wav file.
However, after converting/and/renaming the mp3 file as not to make it permanent.
I then imported the renamed file unto the timeline and pushed the play button only to find the the file played at 44.1khz. as opposed to 22.5khz.
When I adjusted the sample rate to that frequency it still played at the same frequency.
I stand corrected…
Something is not right with n-Track’s file conversion ????
I’m not sure…

I opened the converted file in GoldWave and found the same issue…

Anyway, I imported the original mp3 file into GoldWave and adjusted the sample rate to 22.5khz with-in GoldWave…
It converted the file on-the-fly perfectly…
I did a “SAVE AS” in GoldWave and then imported the converted file by GoladWave into n-Track…
It opened fine and played the GoldWave converted file just fine…

That leads me to believe that n-Track and Flavio might have a file conversion issue that needs some attention. Maybe…

If any of you out there has some spare time and is interested in checking and confirming this post your findings and let us know if your conclusions are the same…

I’m still playing and looking into this matter…

AND I’m sorry to get OFF Topic on your thread… But… You know me…

Bill…

Hi Guys,

I didn’t use the built-in compressor, I thought that would limit the options afterwards. As far as placement goes, the HR sat above the front of the bar pointing towards the speakers on 90deg front mics only. The placement is not really by choice, that was the only safe place available. The 2Gb card recorded 3hrs and 11mins at those settings. I imported the whole recording into n-Track and split it up into seperate tracks there (deleting some of the less…ahem, tuneful ones). I didn’t make any alterations to the audio, what you hear is exactly as the H2 recorded it. Saved the clip as a wave file and converted to mp3 with dbpoweramp.
No Moosehead Bill…had to make do with San Miguel and Vodka, of which I’d had several before singing this :whistle:
Saved around 15 songs for the night and will do a couple more nights before I edit down and write a CD for the ex-manager who has just had a brain tumour removed and has decided that she will go back to live in her home country the Philippines at the end of Feb. Of course, everybody I recorded now wants a copy :)
Cheers,
Ian

BTW Bill,

I had the same issues as you when I tried to re-open the file. I used dbpower amp to adjust the sample rate.

And…Bill Clarke,

Sound advice as usual,
and Yes! It is fun :D

Hi Bruffie:

I’m still playing your file…
After listening to it for some time now, I’d have to say that I wouldn’t have expected the recorder to respond any differently to the room than it did.
Hi-end reflections and energy abound in bar rooms. So does the bottom end…
for that matter.
In a recording, Hi-end energy is more easily dealt with than lo-end energy…Looking at the “Bars-and-Pipes” visual plug in on the Window Media Player it looks as if the Hi-end response could be attenuated to some degree…
You can’t make Hi-end energy if it’s not there…
However, Hi-end energy can always be attenuated…
That goes with frequencies right across the spectrum…
I give very high KUDOS to the Zoom H2 Recorder… in it’s Capturing Abilities…

Bill…