blue line plugins

I was wondering if anyone here has any experiance with the blueline plugins and if there any good?

Thanx bones

I tried them ages ago (was eitehr using n-Track 2.x or maybe and early 3.x) and they were OK, but a bit buggy.

The Kjaerhaus Classic plugins are heaps better for freebies IMHO

Rich

Crashed all over the place after I upgraded to Win2k long ago - so bad I stopped using them. They were OK on Win98. There are probably just as good stuff elsewhere. I don’t really know if they sounded good. I was just getting started with plug-ins at the time and I liked all of them.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Crashed all over the place after I upgraded to Win2k long ago - so bad I stopped using them. They were OK on Win98. There are probably just as good stuff elsewhere. I don’t really know if they sounded good. I was just getting started with plug-ins at the time and I liked all of them.

Pretty much my story too.

i like the compressors.

Ok, the only problem I had with Blue Line is that once some essential files to the plug ins got deleted or moved somewhere else… and this problem was solved simply by reinstalling the plugs. No other problem with them has come to mind.

It’s good to hear that Dean & Dyers have had recent sucesses with these plugs.

I pretty much gave up on them when I had problems but that was ages go so perhaps the problems are sorted now. Doh! more plugins to play with/confuse the issue.

My problem with them happened over a year ago, and I’m still using the same version of the plugs (I dont think there is a newer version).

yeah your’e right. I also have instances that they crash on me but the only thing thats unstable is the flanger set on moving drums. At least for me.

I honestly think if you are lookijg for a good basic set of free plugins you can’t go past the Kjaerhaus Classic set.

Get them and they should do you for most situations unless you want to get into specific plugins or start paying for them (Waves Platimum etc.)

Rich

the blue line plugs were early freebies, but they don’t really sound all that good to me. I suspect that they process internally at a lower bit rate. But mybe not. The chorus has sort of a cool lo fi sound, and the gate is the most intelligently designed gate I have found in freebies - it has an ADSR envelope thingie that really helps get the gating right.

Right now for freebie compressors I’m sold on the gencomp and grancomp. I’ll find a link in a moment…

The BlueLine range of plugins was my first VST plugin experience with n-Track way, way back in the dark past.

I was very disappointed with their quality; although they sounded OK to me at the time (on a 400 MHz PII system rumming Windows 98 and using crappy PC speakers for monitoring) they had the most nasty habit of crashing repeatedly, especially when changing a setting while playing. My recording experience was 4-track cassette, so anything was an improvement over my old Fostex 480… The BlueLine’s even BSOD’d on me frequently, leaving me with unreadable n-Track files (re-import audio into new project, redo ten tracks of midi) and causing so many problems that I gave up using any VST plugins at all for a loong time, leaving me with n-Track reverb, delay, and chorus to choose from (this was version 2.2, before Flavio added track EQ (thanks for that great feature, BTW)).

Today, I have a slightly faster, more potent, dedicated DAW system (2 GHz P-IV system, still ancient by today’s standards) and I am swearing by the Kjaerhusaudio Classic plugins… stable, easy to use, great range, excellent sound quality - I use them all the time! :D

Bottom line is: The BlueLine plugin range have had their time, and better VST’s exist today. But do try them out anyway by any means. They may give you that “vintage” roughness you may be looking for, and they may be that final straw to make you get your hands on the Kjaerhusaudio Classic range and use them instead.

regards, Nils

Yeah I downloaded the classic ones but when i went to instal them i got a mesage that read header file corupted or something like that
what should i do?

Bones

Hmm… I don’t like Kjaerhus plugs much. I rarely use them - maybe only slightly more then I use the Blue Line plugs.

Quote (bones1300 @ Nov. 16 2005,13:30)
Yeah I downloaded the classic ones but when i went to instal them i got a mesage that read header file corupted or something like that
what should i do?

Bones

Download them again. :)

My experience with the Blueline plugs was…I thought that they were inherantly noisy and seemed to raise my noise floor (record VUs moving with no signal applied which I isolated to the Blueline plugs). The other thing was…the GUI was really big and I had to change my display resolution to be able to even see the Minimize and Close buttons. And the Stereo plug would crash like clockwork.

But then, Blueline was my first set of free plugs way back in the 'golden olden days!" Prolly n-Track ~ v2.1 or earlier.

Don

Hi Don and Everyone:
I had them installed on one of the machines here… But after some time of getting them set to operate and audition them as I would, various tracks, they didn’t seem to get any use… So they just fell by the way-side…

It’s interesting to hear you talk abiut the VU Meters moveing with no signal applied… I’ve seen that appearing here… But I never thought of the Plug causeing the issue… Now that I think of it…

Bill…

Bill,

If you are seeing the Record VUs move it is likely intrinsic sound card noise (assuming that you have nothing at the input like an open mic or such). I think that a little VU activity is normal for most sound cards. You should still be way below the “audible” level. Not to worry!

Don ???

Yes theres a lot of other great free plug-ins there. I even have the Kjaerhus plugs. But theres just something in blueline compressores that seduces me, maybe the vintage sound (for me). but hey try them all. And yes the VU meter moving even w/o sound may be the sound cards internal noise.