Bongos-good entry level set

I have played acoustic guitar for 400 years and am beginning to bore myself and probably others as well. Need a change!

Anyone want to suggest a decent set of bongos.

I will probably look around for an instructor or group class in the area to get the basics.

Thanks for any input,
Doug

Well, Doug, it seems that our large contingent of Bongo experts is out to lunch. Have you found a teacher? I’d ask him or her. :)

Tom,

I didn’t find a teacher today, But I can just sit here and hold my breath until I get an answer.

Y’know, there must be a discussion list for bongo players out there…

Hmmmm, bongos…

They have a good forum here - Drumdogs.com

Could try there?

Bongs? Should’nt this be in the drug testing thread? :p :p :p

TG

Jow,

I’ll check out Drumdogs-thanks.

gtr4him,

I thought I was pretty tricky using the Spanish word for Bong, but you were one step ahead of me.

Yo bongo
El bonga
Nosotros bongamos

I’ve been playing the Djembe for a few months - It’s a beautiful instrument.

Can’t say the sounds I’m making are very beautiful though… :laugh:

Doug,

If you wait until the AMS and Musicicans Friend holiday catalogs are out, you can buy some decent “starter” bongos for a steal. Friend of mine bought a pair a few years ago. While certainly not “Pro” level. They don’t sound bad at all.

TG

jhonan,

Are you learning the Djembe on your own or getting help from somewhere?

TG,

I will checkout the Musician’s Friend holiday catalog when it comes out

Well, the person I bought it off gave me a lesson. And my friend is having lessons, so we are practising some stuff together.

I’ve found the best way to become proficient is to just practise and practise until you become really relaxed with it. Once you’ve learnt the three basic tones (and there are only three!) it’s just a matter of learning some good patterns. Not as easy as it sounds, as one of the tricks is seperating the sounds, making the different sounds actually sound distinct. You could actually just get away with the ‘tone’ and the ‘bass’ if you’re a beginner. 20 minutes a day should do it.

It does help to have an initial lesson, just to show you the types of sounds you should be aiming to get, and how to hold it, and how to hit it without breaking your fingers etc… :)

http://www.rhythmweb.com/bongo/index.html
http://bongodrums.com
http://www.lpmusic.com/Play_Like_A_Pro/Tech_Support/tuning_bongos.html
http://www.veryhappening.com/things/bongo
http://www.bobfarley.com/bongo/history.html

jhonan,

I think I’ll get one and practice first thing in the morning. 20 minutes ought to wake the kids up.

Phoo,

Thanks for the links!

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. The djembe is loud - The first time you play the bass properly, the sound just travels through everything… floors, walls, neighbours houses, etc… :;):

You can muffle it by putting a blanket up the ‘amplifier’ piece… but that’s no fun. :laugh:

I just realized that we have a djembe like drum in the basement that my Wife picked up at a rummage sale or something. I don’t really know the difference between a djembe and a doumbek but it is missing it’s head and is made of aluminum. It kinda looks like it was made to sell to tourists.

Have no idea how a metal drum would sound and I would guess that it would cost $50-$60 US to have a new head put on it.

Is your djembe made of wood?

Hi there !

We have heard a fare share of Djembe’s where I live, and I’ve once seen (played a little) a metal Djembe.

It had a very weird metallic, harsh kind of sound.

If you could go to a percussion shop maybe and bang a little on a Djembe, a set of Bongos and maybe congas, you’d be able to get a feel for what you want. Even if you get a guy to demo them, you’d get a feel for what you can do.

In my (humble) opinion I would go for a Djembe (wooden) if at all possible.

They are very versatile (and the satisfaction factor is very high).
I’ve seen a local black dude (ok, they’ve got tremendous rythm anyway) do with a Djembe what you would be hardpressed to do on bongos. I’ve also seen many people not knowing what they’re doing get an acceptable sound out of a Djembe very quickly. Can be more satisfying a lot quicker.

That deep bass sound just can’t be beat. The congas can give you that deep oomph bass as well.

Only problem is if it is the knotted rope type, you might have a problem adjusting / retensioning the head. You do get wooden ones with normal drum type heads, but then I suppose the money’s more as well.

Check out everything if you can in front of you, and then make your choice.

The above is my own (slighty biased towards Djembe’s - could you tell?) opninion.

YMMV

Cheers !

Wihan

Quote (Doug W @ Oct. 19 2004,22:16)
Is your djembe made of wood?

Yes. It's a goatskin one from ghana (can't remember the type of wood it is) with rope tensioners. Something like this;

Only problem is if it is the knotted rope type, you might have a problem adjusting / retensioning the head. You do get wooden ones with normal drum type heads, but then I suppose the money's more as well.

This is something you can learn to do, all you need is a pair of gloves and some strong arms... :)

I was fortunate in that I went to a drum workshop to buy the Djembe where he had loads of different types of drums he'd imported from Africa. So I had the opportunity to try them out and listen to him demonstrating them before I picked one to buy.
So I had the opportunity to try them out and listen to him demonstrating them before I picked one to buy.

Very good advice that !

Every Djembe seems to have a different personality - it's just a matter of finding out if it's compatible with yours ! :D

Never heard two that sounds exactly the same.

W.

Thanks jhonan and Wihan, I will check out a real wooden djembe and plant flowers in the aluminum one in the basement.

Doug W

----EDIT-------

Would either of you care to post a short (OR LONG) recording of you on the djembe? Just curious to hear the sound. It wouldn’t have to be a polished recording or anything.

Thanks