Buffers and Group Editing help?

lag and ease of editing

hello everyone. I have a couple questions that I unfortunately haven’t been able to solve yet.

First let me tell you my set up

An AMD 32 6400 processor
MSI motherboard
1 gig of RAM
2 120 GB harddrives synched together
M-Audio Delta1010lt sound card
N-track 3.3

When I’m recording drums I usually have 7 tracks recording consistently. I record to a tempo map and for perfectionist sake (and the fact that most of the bands I record don’t have very good drummers) I like to punch in on the drum tracks. Usually on the first punch all is well, but after that, it records everything, and then when the files show up in n-track, they have about a 1/2 second delay, and then I have to go through the tedious task of magnifying it like crazy and moving all 7 tracks back to their original place.

My question is, could this be a buffer setting problem? Right now I have mine set to medium in the preferences, but I honestly haven’t had much buffering experience with recording…

And my 2nd question ties into the first one problem a bit. Even if things didn’t lag there’s times where I would like to edit the drums, but all the tracks at once. Is there a group editing option on n-track? meaning copy and paste a part and it’ll do that for all 7 tracks at once so I don’t have to do it on each individual one?

Thank-you so much for any help guys!

I honestly think the delay problem is a bug in the program. I don’t know that for sure, but I’ve hit it occasionally. Always starting recording at the beginning of the song seems to avoid it, maybe, but that would mean punching in is a useless feature. I don’t really know enough about what caused it happen when it did happen. Obviously, not many folks complain about, or maybe that just means not many folks start recording at some spot other than the beginning.

Check to see if “keep audio devices open” is checked. Whatever it is toggle it and see if there is any change. If there is then it could be driver related, that there would be anything you could do if that’s the case.

My guess is that it’s related to plug-in compensation. Are there any effects in any tracks? If so try punching in with no effects in any track and no EQ. The problem might go away if it’s related to compensation.

Try different devices. If you are using ASIO see if WMA is any different, or MME.

I don’t think there is a way to edit groups at once. I’d really love to be able to lock a bunch of parts together and slide them all at once the same amount. Being a drummer I run into times when this would make things A WHOLE LOT EASIER. It’s like recording 8 tracks of drums from a single drumset, and the need to slide just a few notes or measures a hair earlier or later to compensate for an error in an otherwise good take. As it is the only way to do it now is to slide each part one at a time and hope you slide every single part the same amount. It’s not easy. Right now locking a track is good, but it locks too much sometimes.

yeah, I seem to have the same problem. I never get the lag when I start recording at the beginning of a track, only when I punch-in. However, maybe 25% of the time, the punch-ins are right on time, and some other times they’re off, so it’s discouraging when I’m recording a band and have to take 10 minutes to re-align everything.

also, i always make sure there’s no plug-ins, eq, etc. present when i’m recording.

and yes, flavio should DEFINITELY make group editing a feature. that would help beyond what I could describe. My band recently recorded in an amazing studio with the full pro tools HD system, etc. and true, you can’t expect everything on n-track that you get with pro tools, but it seems like a group editing feature would be pretty simple to add. Thank-you for your help!

and i use WDM right now. maybe i’ll try MME

so there’s no way to edit in groups on n-track?

Hey Phoo-
you can move multiple files together by shift selecting the wav’s then ctrl moving them. they’ll keep their relative positions to each other and move wherever you want them.

Hey Bret-
Why don’t you try the ASIO drivers? I used to have that card and it ran smooth as silk with ASIO.

Quote (guitars69 @ Oct. 01 2004,03:35)
Hey Phoo-
you can move multiple files together by shift selecting the wav's then ctrl moving them. they'll keep their relative positions to each other and move wherever you want them.

Hey Bret-
Why don't you try the ASIO drivers? I used to have that card and it ran smooth as silk with ASIO.

that's a good question, i've never tried it.

Right, try ASIO. Also try “keep audio devices open”. Try both settings, but most folks have more luck keeping the devices open.