bug of the day...

Besides my ongoing problem of playback starting 5 seconds after I push the button if I have the “compensate for plugin latency” box checked in preferences (even if I only have 5 plugs on a project and all of them are reporting none, or very little latency)…If I push the solo or mute buttons on a track while it is playing the program freezes for 5 seconds or so…then continues on…regardless of driver choice, buffering settings, revert to default settings, reloading Ntrack and the plugins…sigh…guess I will try the build that came out today but I am not getting my hopes up :(

Ray

Be sure and post your results. Flavio gets a lot of information from the forums.

Hi rsolinski:

That’s a discouraging report to have to post…
I feel your pain…
was the reply some one (up here) used to say… Could there be an issue with the way your machine is configured…
something running in the background…
something using your machine’s resources…
unbalanced memory sticks…
????
I wish I knew more about computers… and…
to be able to help you…
I’d sure like to see you find a resolve for the issue you have…

Bill…

I know the frustration factor gets high too, but your delayed playback still sounds like a system issue.
Yes - I know you’ve posted it acts the same on another system and you’re not a rookie at this but maybe there’s a commonality on the other system as well causing the same problem ?
Hope you find the problem Ray.

Quote: (rsolinski @ Sep. 06 2008, 10:32 AM)

Besides my ongoing problem of playback starting 5 seconds after I push the button
if I have the "compensate for plugin latency" box checked in preferences (even if I only have 5 plugs on a project and all of them are reporting none, or very little latency)....If I push the solo or mute buttons on a track while it is playing the program freezes for 5 seconds or so...then continues on...regardless of driver choice, buffering settings, revert to default settings, reloading Ntrack and the plugins....sigh...guess I will try the build that came out today but I am not getting my hopes up :(....

Ray

The problem seems closely related to the plugins latency + startup delay. n-Track recalculates the latencies when a track is soloed or muted.
I plan to have a build that fixes the startup + latency problem early next week.

Flavio.

Another thought about when solo/mute is changed is the “read data from tracks even if muted” preference. If that’s off then there will be a delay because the tracks that become unmuted will need to start reading data again.

Hang in there Ray.
Did you ever open up Windows Task Manager/Processes tab to look for another program starting when you start to play n? Make sure you check the box to show process from all users. Just a reminder Ray in case you didn’t get a chance to do that.
Levi

As you guys have said…I am not a newb at this… or pc’s! I discover these bugs after HOURS of changing settings, drivers etc… There is nothing else running in the background or the foreground from any user (I am the only one anway)…I have discovered this delay occurs on a project with only 1 track and no plugins at all (!) IF I have the compensate plugin latency box checked in preferences…If I uncheck the box it works fine …except the playback starts to sound out of phase because the plugins are not being compensated for correctly…The DAW is a stand alone pc with no other programs (except Reaper because I need something that will work for me for the time being…and it does, flawlessly and Sound Forge) or extraneous hardware on it…never been online…has only 1 memory stick (1 gig), 2 fast hard drives with one reserved for audio, a delta 66 with the absolute latest drivers and Win XP pro sp3…Until I bought the Waves plugins I was blissfully running version 3.3 on an AMD machine with Win2k pro…for the last 4 years with NO problems!..I needed more horsepower for the waves plugs so I upgraded my PC to a 2.8 P4…When I used them I noticed the volume envelope bug in 3.3(now fixed in 6…thanks Flavio!)…So I “upgraded” to version 5 (YUCK!) and then started beta testing 6…and here I am. It has to be a software issue if the program works fine if I uncheck that box in preferences…if it was a system issue would that box really matter? Flavio said he is on it this week so I will keep my fingers crossed…I LOVE using Ntrack and I am not jumping ship yet…I have too many years and projects into this…

Ray

I have also had some crazy problems with ntrack crashing. whenever i open the parametric and try to play the song while its open the program just crashes. This happened even after i got the latest build of ntrack6. can anyone help?

Quote: (lilserious @ Sep. 07 2008, 9:00 PM)

I have also had some crazy problems with ntrack crashing. whenever i open the parametric and try to play the song while its open the program just crashes. This happened even after i got the latest build of ntrack6. can anyone help?

Give us all the specs on your system...soundcard, OS etc....and how you have your preferences set .....If it only happens when youare using the Ntrack eq sounds like a bug...

Ray

Also tell us what other plugins you have going, lil.

Quote: (lilserious @ Sep. 07 2008, 9:00 PM)

How much RAM do you have installed? This sounds like a "out of memory" kind of thing. A lot of software will just up and BOMB when they cannot address any free memory. The Par EQ with the freq display is a resource PIG. You might help matters by lowering the FFT/Window size by right-clicking the graphic.

Flavio really out to check out the code for that thing a bit. I use other freq displays/EQ's and they are nowhere near as resource hungry.

D

One thing to do is to put in a few instances of SIR. Put them in places that will cause them to be serial. That will add 8k (or 16k - for older versions of SIR) of latency for each instance. Doesn’t take many to have a LOT of latency.

ALSO!!!

V6 has the option to reopen that last project when n-Tracks starts up. If that’s on then the startup time will be whatever normal startup is plus opening a project with lots of latency. Of course, this is only applies when the app is first run.

My OS: windows xp 32-bit
sounfcard: soundblaster audigy 2 zs-platinum

I dont really know what preference settings to mention, I dont kno what settings to adjust that would help the problem, but if u could give me some troubleshooting tips, I would greatly apprecite it.

With the crashing with the para eq window open I would first suggest video drivers be the culprit.

Quote: (rsolinski @ Sep. 06 2008, 9:25 PM)

As you guys have said..I am not a newb at this... or pc's! I discover these bugs after HOURS of changing settings, drivers etc... There is nothing else running in the background or the foreground from any user (I am the only one anway)..I have discovered this delay occurs on a project with only 1 track and no plugins at all (!) IF I have the compensate plugin latency box checked in preferences...If I uncheck the box it works fine ...except the playback starts to sound out of phase because the plugins are not being compensated for correctly...The DAW is a stand alone pc with no other programs (except Reaper because I need something that will work for me for the time being..and it does, flawlessly and Sound Forge) or extraneous hardware on it...never been online..has only 1 memory stick (1 gig), 2 fast hard drives with one reserved for audio, a delta 66 with the absolute latest drivers and Win XP pro sp3...Until I bought the Waves plugins I was blissfully running version 3.3 on an AMD machine with Win2k pro..for the last 4 years with NO problems!...I needed more horsepower for the waves plugs so I upgraded my PC to a 2.8 P4..When I used them I noticed the volume envelope bug in 3.3(now fixed in 6..thanks Flavio!)..So I "upgraded" to version 5 (YUCK!) and then started beta testing 6..and here I am. It has to be a software issue if the program works fine if I uncheck that box in preferences..if it was a system issue would that box really matter? Flavio said he is on it this week so I will keep my fingers crossed..I LOVE using Ntrack and I am not jumping ship yet..I have too many years and projects into this...

Ray

Right :agree:

hey guys a quick question about n6… since i dont have a pc right now to test it, how about those volume envelopes, are they working as they should now, any info is good. thanks.

Daldo

They work well for me.
Flavio has even added a setting to make the handles bigger for us “older” guys - Preferences > appearance>Volume envelope/ranges.
Bax

I have been running nTrack since early 4.x, and have never really had a time when I did not have some issue with performance, timing, sync etc. I love the program but it is quite a challenge at times.

With respect to version 6.0 I have had problems from the very beginning with Performance. When clicking the play (or record for that matter) button on a project, there was as musch as an 5-10 second delay before anything happened. It appeared that the computer had frozen for that period. As playback began, pauses in the display updates would occur appearing again that the computer was freezing. Basic PC Specs are:

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz Laptop
1Gig Ram
XP Professional SP3
Fresh install & updated

After many days of investigation and trying all the tips on DAW sites for configuration, I found that reducing Video Acceleration on the video card seemed to offer the most relief from the problems I saw, but if I reduced it too far, other issues arose. I also found that adjusting some of the nTrack config settings helped in varying degrees, but nothing really totally fixed the issues without breaking other features. For example, if I increased the priority of the program in the nTrack configuration window along with a moderate reduction in the Video acceleration, I resolved almost all of the display perfomance issues with playback & record, but the application would actually no longer record any audio??? Extremely strange. The most depressing part is Reaper (which I recently purchased) seems to work flawlessly with little or no modifications or config changes what so ever, though I find nTrack to be a much better and user friendly application.

All this said, I will concede that some of these issues may be related to my computer (though I have had similar issues with my desktop which is a bigger machine) but I would question whether or not some of the resource utilization or efficientcy in processing within the application for things like video, audio, or systems devices on any machine could be streamlined.

Having working in Service Support, as well as product management for 25 plus years, it seems to me that many companies look at adding more bells and whistles to their products or services but overlook the true value of making them stable, reliable and easy to use (or in this case configure to work reliably). I find nTrack to be an amazing product that could easily capture a larger customer base if many of these usability/stability issues were addressed rather than simply adding more features which some folks may not care about or even use. Look through the forum at folks who stayed on version 3.x for years because the more recent versions were not consistently stable and reliable.

Please don’t think I am bashing or complaining. Just just reflecting on some of my experiences and thoughts.